Setting up Win2k AS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up Win2k AS

My work has just bought Win2k AS which I've to set up. We need Internet Sharing, fax sharing and network/roaming profiles. How do I go about doing this?!

Thanks,

Paul.

------------------
    Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
    Computer Solutions | Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal | Pace Central
    Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
    Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

I hate to be a bit blunt here (Ok, I confess, I don't hate it), but...

You really think we can give you a complete rundown on setting up an NT network on the Matrox forums?

I mean, there are those of us here who could, but this is hardly the place.

Or did I miss something and do you have a more specific question than "how do I set up Win2k Advanced Server"?

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Ok, more specific (based on problems of the first trial install !):

DHCP is set to use the range 10.x.x.x and I can't change it - get an error like 'would cause overlapping addresses' - the machines are getting addresses within 192.168.0.x though and my Server is 192.168.0.1

Internet sharing don't work. I can't share the fax and roaming profiles I don't know how to! I usually tend to just play with stuff to learn how it works but there's a little too much in here to learn in this fashion - I'm needing a helping hand to get this done quickly!

Thanks,

Paul.
      Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Also, is streaming media possible off of this OS? I've got the Windows Media Encoder 7 (free download from Microsoft) but the media server part of AS?

Thanks,

Paul.
        Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Pace,

Media Server was one of the options when you set up the server. It asked you which services you wanted to install, and streaming media was one of them.

As for the other, I'll let someone more familiar with DHCP address it.

- Gurm

------------------
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Just curious Gurm, if you remember, but was that the very last option on the setup? The setup program halted for a little while and, a few harsh key presses later it flashed up at least one screen and proceeded...I never knew what it asked me

I know I didn't install DNS but I see it's done it anyway - I presume it's need for Active Directory as I got lost at that part of the configure your server wizard...

Paul.
            Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Pace,

There are a lot of issues involved in setting up a win2k domain. (Which i presume you are doing because your'e talking about roaming profiles, which in turn means you will be bringing up users in this domain)

If you don't know what you're doing stop here! Find somebody that can help you on the scene. Fixing problems in a running production domain (or on a single production server for that matter)is something you want to avoid..

P.S. If there is already a dhcp server running there, do not set up your own..People will get the wrong ip's and your ass will be kicked..

And yes, active directory requires a dns server that supports the way that win2k server wants to register it's AD services to work. If there isn't you can set up your own dns server in win2k. In fact it will want to that when you intall active directory on your server (and make it a Domain Controller). If there is already a dhcp and a dns server that doens't support the way win2k wants to register running, your clients will get another (but not the wrong) dns server adress from dhcp and they will not be able to access the Active Directory.

But again, do get somebody there to help you..

Grtz,
              Ed

[This message has been edited by EdSki (edited 03 November 2000).]

Comment

EdSki: I will be complete admin for home and work. Building networks from scratch around Win2k. I want to learn about networks etc and Win2k is too limiting as a server. So first of all I want to get my work networked (simple stuff: ICS, File/Printer but also a networked accounts package). Secondly I want to learn about servers and networks. Finally, I want to do cool stuff on my network! Streaming DVDs, hehe !

Which incidentally, I am serious about - anyone know how to get a VOB file into Windows ASF format? I've got some unencryted DVD VOB files ( ) and I want to convert them into ASF.

I don't think this is illegal unless it's using copyrighted material! Though even with that brings debate: we are allowed to make personal copies...anyway - I want answers to my questions - not copyright debate, hehe!

Paul.
                Meet Jasmine.

Comment

For internet sharing use some 3rd party proxy software! I recomend winproxy you can download it from tucows.eunet.fi (for keymaker mail me)!

------------------
                  Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                  According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Paul, mail me the problems at hand and I'll see what I can do

I'll be setting up Win2k AS soon as well, but am studying the thing first.

Jord.
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Sorry Guru - Win2k does what I need! Any particular reason I should use that? (note Win2k ICS works fine outwith AS, i.e. what features does it offer?)

Jorden: I'm going to be reinstalling it anyway. In DHCP setup I see that 10.x.x.x is the specified range yet AS is giving out IPs in the 192.168.0.x range. I can't alter the DHCP to use 192.168.0.x (even though it is) as I get an error about overlapping addresses. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul.
                      Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Yup... You should exclude the static IP addresses out of the DHCP range, which means you can't use the 192.168.0.x range if that's in use (as static range) already.

You could disable the static range ofcourse

Have your tried setting the range to 192.168.1.x ?? Otherwise use the 10.x.x.x range as given by the DCHP server. It's internal LAN addresses only. The only means for it is that your PCs on the network can communicate with your server. Set the other PCs to Obtain IP address automatically and it should work.

Always use the commandprompt and ipconfig /all to determine if the PCs and server are working okay.

Jord
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Can't you inactivate then delete the 10.x.x.x scopethen add a new scope starting at 192.168.0.2 and excluding any static ip addresses that may exist already. There are some tools that will do what you want with the media
                          *cough* http://www.geocities.com/codecwarehouse/videotools.html *cough*
                          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I'm not sure if you understand me - but I certainly don't understand what you are saying if you understand what I'm saying, understand?

Anyway, to clarify:

I've setup AS with DHCP for the range 10.x while it's own static IP is 192.168.0.1

It is giving out dynamic IPs to the rest of the network within the range 192.x

I feel it should be giving out 10.x addresses but the fact that it's own IP is 192.x is confusing it into giving out the wrong (correct? ) IPs.

However, is this actually causing any problems for me? I can't share my Internet connection (well I can but they can't access it) and I can't share the fax facility of my modem. Is this being caused by the problems in DHCP setup?

I'll try your suggestions anyway and see if it works. As I say this is just a trial install and I plan to reset it up again - but when I do that I want to make sure I get it right.

Also Denty, which program will let me change VOBs into another format? If I get it into MPEG, MOV or AVI I can convert into ASF no bother but is VOB already in an (ISO?) MPEG format? Or have they modified it slightly (MPEG2).

Thanks again

Paul.
                            Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Err... is ICS running? With ICS, all DHCP bets are off since it interferes.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X