Don't buy ATI if you have win2k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't buy ATI if you have win2k

Win2K support for ATI radeon has no custom refresh rate support, 3D speed is much lower than what it would be in win98/ME.

I checked into Hercules/Nvidia and their drivers support custom refresh rates, and have way better win2K driver support.
    I would stay away from creative labs, if anyone ownes a soundcard from them that should tell you how slow ass they are getting new drivers out

If you brought up 3dfx, you would have completed the circle and posted the most off-topic thread in recent memory.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

heh. Don't buy ATI if you use any OS.....DOS should be good but you never know....I wonder if ATI cards support Vesa 3.0? TNT1-Geforce 3 does!
      C:\DOS
      C:\DOS\RUN
      \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

I've got a Triniton monitor.
        Can i buy an Radeon card
        Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

Öh general hardware anyone?

------------------
          Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

Don't get even — get odd!
          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

3dfx! 3dfx! 3dfx! 3dfx! 3dfx! -
            Sorry - couldn't resist, as 3dfx supports *any* custom resolution and *any* custom refresh rate under Win2K.

Sadly, I'm still struggling to get 960x540 - a perfectly common 16:9 HDTV aspect ratio - to work at any refresh rate with any Matrox card... No joy so far. (:

Comment

Ashley ... check out this thread over at AVS.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Off to General Hardware
                Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by DosFreak:
                  ...DOS should be good but you never know....I wonder if ATI cards support Vesa 3.0? TNT1-Geforce 3 does!
                  Does the G200/G400/G450 support VESA 3??? NO!!!
                  my system:

AMD XP 2000+
                  Abit KTA7 (VIA 4.49)
                  512MB SDRAM133
                  Matrox Millennium G400 MAX (5.91, AGP 2x)
                  Windows XP Prof

Comment

xortam - Thanks for the link - excellent thread, smart people. But they are only talking about Win9x, where 960x540 works with lots of cards, not just Matrox.

I was talking about Win2K - where 960x540 does NOT work, at least not with the latest 520 driver and MTSTU305...

Any ideas? Anyone?

Comment

I don't see why it shouldn't. I can check into that.

Rags

Comment

LOL

While were all talking off topic, I might as well chip in

I've got an ATI Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO in my second PC at the moment, and I can confirm it does indeed suck. Big styleee.

Comment

Please do. I tried a couple of other lower resolution 16:9 modes as well, with no success either.

Higher resolutions with 4:3 ratios work OK, like e.g., 1000x750, so its not a "general" problem.

Comment

Ashley,

You don't suppose that PowderSniff corrupted that bios do you?

Hugh G.

Comment

LOL... Ho Hugh - I'm a little too old to have problems like that...

The second head on the G450 does spin round and round from time to time and levitate off the desk though...

Comment

Working...
                              X