Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what does "AGP power is provided by linear regulator.."mean? and bios upgrade help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what does "AGP power is provided by linear regulator.."mean? and bios upgrade help

You *might* be in luck.
    http://www.geforcefaq.com/

Your motherbaoard isn't there so it might work properly. Make sure you can return it if it doesn't. Also benchmark the heck out of it to see how stable it is when you do.
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN

As far as voltages/currents are concerned there are basically 2 types of regulators available in the industry - linear and switching.

Switching regulators tend to be complex in design but are very efficient.

Linear regulators are generally a lot less efficient but far simpler to design and are often included on motherboards as a single chip only!

Linear regulators are often used in applications where relatively small currents are consumed - about 2 amps . When large currents are drawn from the linear regulator one often finds that it overheats and either cuts out (built in safety feature) or destroys itself by sending some simple smoke signals, and sometimes (when the failure mode is a dead short across the input and output terminals) any load connected to it - ie - your motherboard and AGP card.

I would certainly not connect your goodies up
    unless I am very sure of the compatibility!!!

------------------
    Lawrence
    Lawrence

Comment

what does "AGP power is provided by linear regulator.."mean? and bios upgrade help

Im looking for an upgrade for our "family" machine and this video card(asus 6800 deluxe) seems to be really good. has tons of features that i really like,(video in and out, ddr ram, and 3d glasses..heh heard they were very cool, and i read at their webpage that you can also watch tv/video on 3d w/ the glasses ) the only problem is that im not so sure what this warning means

"Warning: Because GeForce256TM GPU consumes a lot of power, as a result, do not use AGP-V6800 with the mainboard which AGP power is provided by linear regulator. "

anyway i can check if mine is "linear regulator"? i have an old gigabyte 686bx mobo

* and i also want to upgrade my mobo to a beta bios so i can use a fcpga cpu on it..but i get this error
      "the program files part number does not match w/ your system"
      and it asks me to press y/n

so is this one of those safe warnings that i can just ignore or is this one of those really dangerous "press Y and die" warnings?

*i use to have a link that tells me which 1's are safe to ignore and which 1's are really important..but i cant find it anymore

thx in advance guys

[This message has been edited by blades (edited 26 November 2000).]

Comment

Don't get it. ither upgrade your mobo or do not get a Geforce card. Your pos gigabyte mobo will give you nothing but trouble with that card....or any other Geforce.
        C:\DOS
        C:\DOS\RUN
        \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Tact is not one of your best assets is it dosfreak :-)
          1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
          Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
          Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

ok thx..

* if possible can you pls elaborate?

Comment

Working...
            X