Matrox G400 Max
    SB AWE32 ISA
    AVM Fritz! Card PCI
    Level One 10/100 Network Adapter
    Plextor 40x CD-Rom SCSI
    Plextor 12x CD-RW-Recorder SCSI
    Windows 2000 SP1 as OS
    MY Problem:
    Well my System runs nearly flawlessly... ok some Application-crash sometimes but the System never hangs up, no bsod or systemcrash since 9 month.
    BUT when I look in the IRQ List of the MMC in Windows, I can't believe it: It shows the following IRQ list (REMEMBER: Physically there are only 15 IRQ available)

Network IRQ 18
    SCSI IRQ 17
    G400 MAX IRQ 16
    ISDN IRQ 19
    USB IRQ 19

So I suppose, that is a Windows-failure. I think every card has its own IRQ but the wrong number is displayed, because the bios while booting shows me that every card has its own IRQ and isdn shares it with USB. So it's nearly the same as in Windows - only the numbers are different. What do you think? Whats wrong or can't I correct this because it's a bug in Windows?

Thx in a advance

That's not an error, but a properly functioning system running in ACPI mode under Win2K.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

COOOOL! Thank you, so I can stay quite!

Comment

they are called 'virtual IRQs'...
        somehow I don't get them in Win2k, not that I mind... a flatmate who also has a Abit BX motherboard (a BP6) does get them.

I thought the G400 had some trouble running on virtual IRQs... maybe not?

Comment

...my system has these virtual irqs' also, but they go alot higher;

System Information report written at: 11/24/2000 09:19:37 PM
          [IRQs]

IRQ Number Device
          128 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
          31 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
          48 Symbios 22910, 21002 PCI SCSI Adapter; 53C896 Device
          49 Symbios 22910, 21002 PCI SCSI Adapter; 53C896 Device
          64 Creative SB Live! (WDM)
          68 3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI NIC with 3XP Processor (3CR990-TX-95)
          1 PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)
          4 Communications Port (COM1)
          3 Communications Port (COM2)
          6 Standard floppy disk controller
          8 System CMOS/real time clock
          13 Numeric data processor
          12 Logitech PS/2 Port Mouse

haven't had any problems!!! i have a gx chipset that is not acpi compliant.

cc

Comment

aren't those high irqs a result of the Dual processor config?
            I seem to remember something like that on my friend's Tyan Tiger 100 with dual P!!! 450s
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

The dual pIII, serverworks chipset, Supermirco board went up to like 30 or something, and i only had a couple devices on it.

Really supprised me, as i had never seen anything like that before.

Comment

It's normal. If your bios has an improper ACPI implementation then you may experience problems. If you don't have any probs then leave it alone.
                C:\DOS
                C:\DOS\RUN
                \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

In Win2k DP configuration, the interrupts are no longer handled by legacy chained dual-8259A. They are handled by the IOAPIC. IOAPIC may have 15 or more IRQs.

I don't think there is something called "virtual IRQ" in Win2k, or is it related to ACPI. If you get unbelievable high IRQ number like 255, then it's a bug in Win2k. Microsoft has already published the article in the knowledge base. Win2k has problem with MPS 1.4 table, and uses the wrong field in the table to report IRQ usage. The article also describes complete steps to troubleshoot IRQ conflicts in DP config where such situation may arise.

Even for UP config, you can still get this bug if the BIOS has enabled IOAPIC and constructed MPS 1.4 table.

MPS Uniprocessor HAL
                  MPS Multiprocessor HAL
                  ACPI Multiprocessor HAL
                  All these 3 HALs use IOAPIC. And if MPS 1.4 table is used, wrong and unbelievable high IRQ number will be reported in Device Manager.

ACPI Uniprocessor HAL
                  It depends if it's in legacy PIC mode or IOAPIC.

Standard PC HAL.
                  No problem here, always uses legacy PIC.

[This message has been edited by kjliew (edited 25 November 2000).]
                  KJ Liew

Comment

...what is odd is that at the bios level(..post configuration screen) my irqs' are as follows;

IRQ DEVICE

5 USB
                    9 SBLIVE
                    10 SCSI
                    11 AGP/VGA
                    14 ETHERNET
                    15 SCSI

i have a "compatability" flag in my bios called..acpi aware os - yes/no..set to yes. changing it makes no difference in win2k installation irq assignments. i do know that this board is mps 1.4 compliant. i did however try a fresh install of win2k using the F5 function and selecting the acpi hal...i didn't make it past disk 4, from the boot floppy installation.

cc

Comment

ORIGINAL POST:
                      In Win2k DP configuration, the interrupts are no longer handled by legacy chained dual-8259A. They are handled by the IOAPIC. IOAPIC may have 15 or more IRQs.
                      I don't think there is something called "virtual IRQ" in Win2k, or is it related to ACPI. If you get unbelievable high IRQ number like 255, then it's a bug in Win2k. Microsoft has already published the article in the knowledge base. Win2k has problem with MPS 1.4 table, and uses the wrong field in the table to report IRQ usage. The article also describes complete steps to troubleshoot IRQ conflicts in DP config where such situation may arise.
                      Even for UP config, you can still get this bug if the BIOS has enabled IOAPIC and constructed MPS 1.4 table.

MPS Uniprocessor HAL
                      MPS Multiprocessor HAL
                      ACPI Multiprocessor HAL
                      All these 3 HALs use IOAPIC. And if MPS 1.4 table is used, wrong and unbelievable high IRQ number will be reported in Device Manager.

ACPI Uniprocessor HAL
                      It depends if it's in legacy PIC mode or IOAPIC.

Standard PC HAL.
                      No problem here, always uses legacy PIC.

[This message has been edited by kjliew (edited 25 November 2000).]

So it becames not quite clear for me if a IRQ up to 20 is normal with ACPI enabled or not - cuz you said that ACPI can have more than 15 IRQ. I must add that I have already run my System with only one cpu and the uniprocessor HAl was enabled - same results, same Interrupts.
                      I never saw IRQs like 240 or so - I think its one of thousands Win-Bugs.
                      So have you any suggestions which way I should go.
                      Thx
                      [reondee]

Comment

Chucky Cheese,

Virtual IRQ's are a normal happening in NT, don't sweat it.

Rags

Comment

Repeat, it is NOT ACPI problem, it's the MPS 1.4 table that Win2k has problem with.

Read my post again, even on uniprocessor, if you install MPS Uniprocessor HAL, ACPI Uniprocessor HAL, there are still chances that MPS 1.4 table being used.

IRQ of 20 can be normal. As far as I know, certain IOAPIC has IRQ up to 24.

On the other hand, if you install Standard PC HAL, there will not be any IRQ more than 15, because Standard PC uses legacy chained dual-8259A for interrupt handling.
                          KJ Liew

Comment

Working...
                          X