Folder will not delete from drive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder will not delete from drive!

Hey everyone. A few days ago, I briefly installed a Saitek USB joystick on my system. I didn't like it, plus the software was buggy, so I uninstalled and returned it. However, since then, I have this folder in my 'My Computer' called 'Saitek Gaming Extensions'. The uninstallation utility did not remove all the Saitek files, but I did that manually afterwards. I also went into the registry and deleted all the Saitek stuff I could find (there was a lot!), and still this folder remains!

If I try to delete it any normal way, ie right click and delete, or drag to recycle bin, nothing happens. If I try to right click and select Properties, it says properties are not available for this item. Further, if I'm viewing My Computer in Windows Explorer, there is a + next to this folder, but clicking the + does nothing. Nice.

I don't think this is hurting my system, but it's just annoying me, anyone know how I can get rid of this darned thing??

Thanks in advance!

Aaron

P.S. This is in Win98 Vanilla

Have you tried running ScanDisk?
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

did you try to delete it in safe mode???

cc

Comment

Install TweakUI. Go to the "my computer" tab. Uncheck the Saitek thinger. Poof!

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Thanks for the quick suggestions! Unfortunately, I tried them all, and none worked.

Gurm,

In the My Computer tab in TweakUI, the folder in question is not even listed! I unchecked everything except for A, C, D, and E however, to no effect.

In addtion, after running TweakUI, I now get an error every time Windows finishes loading, which reads:

"Error in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ShellEXT\target.dll
          Missing Entry:CDPlayNotify"

Nice! CD drive seems to work fine though. At the time, I had autoinsert notify on for both cd music and cd data (in TweakUI), and auto insert notification has always been on in Device Manager under my CD settings. I disabled all these, no effect.

Darned little problems... I was less annoyed with the indestructible folder than I will be by an error every time I start my computer. Know how to fix target.dll?

Thanks!

Aaron

Comment

Here's a simple answer, boot to clean dos by using a bootable floppy. Try to delete the file there, if it's not there, then try to make a new folder (while in dos still) witht he exact name, then boot back into windows and try to delete it again.

Rags

Comment

I'm not able to see the 'folder' in DOS at all. It's not ON the drive, it's shown in 'My Computer' as if it's a drive all to itself, it's not located any other drive. I just don't get it! Think I may just give up on this silly thing.

Now, after uninstalling Tweak UI (didn't see any modifications I would like to use), I seem to be missing the target.dll file completely! So now instead of Windows telling me it has a missing entry, it simply reports that the file cannot be found. Great! I searched for it on the Windows 98 CD, but no luck, anyone know where I can get an updated version?

I'm thinking that what happened when I as installing TweakUI was that I accidentally pushed no when I should of said yes (I remember it saying a file it was copying was older than the one currently on my system). Don't you hate that??

I read something about a hidden backup of windows files, anyone know where that is?

Cheers,

Aaron

Comment

Nevermind, got rid of the error! Just uninstalled and reinstalled any windows component that might have to do with the CD, that did the trick. Now if I could just fix what TweakUI did to the right click on my Start button.. ah well enough system tweaking for now, time for some GAMING!!!

Off to do some space piloting with Bruce Campbell in The Fringe!

Cheers,

Aaron

Comment

aaroncgi : when u choose to hide a drive from My Computer with TweakUI, the open and explore of the right click to the taskbar doesn't show anymore.
                  it's stated as a drawback in the TweakUI help file (hell.. they should say it's a bug, not a drawback!!)
                  hmmm .. just now i checked the TweakUI help and can't find this notice .. maybee i saw it in X-Setup.
                  to fix this, just reinstall TweakUI :P and unhide any drive u hided before.
                  (i.e. place a check mark next to it)
                  Now, while we are at it .. anyone knows where to get TweakUI for win2k ??
                  GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

erm the latest tweakui (1.33) works on win2k.
                    In fact I think the older versions (or at least some of them) work with win2k
                    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Go to a command prompt (Start>Run>Command) and do a Attrib {name of damn folder} /s

It should find it and display what it's attributes are. Chances are that it is a hidden system folder. If so....

attrib {name of damn folder} -s -h /s

Might work...

[This message has been edited by EchoWars (edited 19 November 2000).]

Comment

Here's the <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp">Microsoft page for TweakUI</a>.

System Requirements
                        Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 98 or Windows 95.
                        TweakUI only comes with files called TweakUI.*

I have no idea what target.dll is, I don't have any such file on my system. According to its path, it is obviously a shell extension.

I guess a shell extension could very well be causing that ghost folder in My Computer. Check what files are there in ShellExt. The only one I have there is TTFEXT, a TrueType font exension from <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/typography/default.asp">Microsoft Typography</a>.

Then again I think these shell extensions are only used as PropertySheetHandlers. Oh well.. Check the drivers\software pack of Saitek, make note of what files it contains, there has to be a .dll file which is still on your system (and also listed in your registry) and is causing that Saitek folder to appear.

Comment

fds : thanx for the info, indeed it's the same program for all windows versions.
                          the target.dll is a component of Power toys, which u can get from here http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstati...rtctTarget.asp
                          it gives u a context menu for right click of a shortcut, which would lead to it's target (the original file)
                          apperently, when aaroncgi installed tweakui, he installed the whole power toys utilities ??
                          or maybee he enabled something in tweakui that only works with targets shell extensions.

Comment

DentyCracker : thanks for the info, i downloaded ver. 1.33 the other day .. i was under the impression that there's a different version for win2k !!
                            /EDIT : ooops !

[This message has been edited by arbymo (edited 19 November 2000).]

Comment

Yes, target.dll is a component of PowerToys--for Windows95!!!!. (It's one of the three useful components I saved from that, which no longer appear in TweakUI: Target, Contents, and SendToX.)

All right, yes, with Win98 there was no more "PowerToys" per se, just TweakUI--which <u>is different</u> from the one in Win95, but since there was a TweakUI in PowerToys for Win95 as well, I just wanted to say that.

Does this mean he's installed the wrong version of TweakUI??

-----------------------
                              Holly

[This message has been edited by HollyBerri (edited 20 November 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                              X