Windows 2000, hardware compatibility and some upgrade questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000, hardware compatibility and some upgrade questions

(ARGH! Damn, it ate my post twice! This is the third time I'm typing it.)

I've decided to get myself a copy of Win2K for Xmas I'm pretty confident that all my hardware is compatible. My only concern is my Diamond MX300 (Aureal Vortex 2). Diamond definitely isn't giving me any support. I think Aureal has beta drivers, but they probably suck. How are the SBLive's Win2K drivers? Though I really don't want to leave my MX300 because of the A3D support. A3D is such a great technology. People are surprised when I can turn around and know exactly where they are in CS.

Now, my other question. I'm planning to do a major upgrade when the G800 arrives (if it ever does). In the mean time, I'm planning to get myself a DVD drive (probably Pioneer 10X or 16X, whichever is cheaper) and probably a HD. My question is, IDE RAID or SCSI? Is SCSI worth it? And maybe some recommendations on IDE RAID cards or SCSI cards. I most likely won't go SCSI RAID, because of the price.

BTW, any good places to get this stuff online?
    ------------------
    Intel P3-750@825 (7.5x110 FSB), Abit BE6-II, Micron PC133 256MB RAM (128MBx2), Quantum Fireball KA Plus 18.2GB, Promise Ultra66, Kenwood 72X TrueX, Plextor Plexwriter 8/4/32, Linksys LNE100TX NIC (1 Mbps SDSL!), Diamond MX300, Matrox G400MAX (6.10 W9x w/ TGL 1.3) DirectX 8, Cambridge Soundworks Microworks system, Sony 19" 400PS, Logitech Cordless Mouseman Wheel, Epson Perfection 1200U PHOTO Scanner, Epson Stylus Color 850 inkjet, Addtronics 7890A w/ 350W Turbo-Cool PS

[This message has been edited by Liquid Snake (edited 25 November 2000).]

SCSI DVD's are fine, but I have seen some DVD software that has problems seeing SCSI DVD Roms (Early versions of windvd 2000, cinemaster 2k-shakespear, and others). I see no real benefit from having a SCSI DVD Rom other than not taking up another IDE channel.

Rags

Comment

Well, I was actually reffering to SCSI or IDE hard drives, not DVD drives. I've got another question. Software or hardware DVD decoding? If software, any recommendations on DVD software (5.1 audio does not matter for now, I have no 5.1 speakers, or the room for them)? If hardware, any recommendations on DVD decoder boards?

(edit) Oops, just noticed the DVD decoder thread below mine. I'll take a look at that one.

Comment

Get a hardware decoder. The H+. People will say that you don't need a H+. But if you like to use your computer while playing DVD's then yes you will need a hardware decoder.
        C:\DOS
        C:\DOS\RUN
        \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Liquid Snake,

When talking about HD:s, SCSI is not worth the price, but it is perfect for the CD/CD-R/CD-RW/DVD drives and other peripherals like scanners etc...

RAID: go for Promise FastTrak100.

Comment

People will say that you don't need a H+. But if you like to use your computer while playing DVD's then yes you will need a hardware decoder.
            This is completely untrue. I have my G450 and a software decoder doing all the work, my cpu usage hovers right around 39 percent. I burn cd's, browse the internet and do other work just fine on my computer. No skipped frames and no buffer underruns yet.

Rags

Comment

"This is completely untrue. I have my G450 and a software decoder doing all the work, my cpu usage hovers right around 39 percent. I burn cd's, browse the internet and do other work just fine on my computer. No skipped frames and no buffer underruns yet."

I'm talking heavily processor intensive apps.
              \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

"This is completely untrue. I have my G450 and a software decoder doing all the work, my cpu usage hovers right around 39 percent. I burn cd's, browse the internet and do other work just fine on my computer. No skipped frames and no buffer underruns yet."

I'm talking heavily processor intensive apps.
                \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

LS, at least take a look at Microsoft Win2k Hardware Compatibility List to check your hardware.

You can download the updated HCL as a text file from that same page. (oh heck, here's the link )

Jord.
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

If you only ever intend to watch DVD on a TV and not on your monitor, then go for a hardware decoder.

Software decoders are a whole lot better when you are watching it on-screen. Plus with a DualHead G400, the TV output of a software decoder is pretty much of the same quality as with a hardware decoder.

SBLive! W2k drivers definitely leave a lot to be desired but there's hardly any other sound card as of now with W2k drivers working at least as good as the Live!'s. Pretty sad. You might even be happy with the Live!'s drivers as you don't have dual CPUs or need SPDIF pass-through for 5.1 sound.

Comment

DF,

You mean like compiling? I do that too. Now, if you are going to do video capturing and other things, I would just have a separate rig for that.

What exactly do you need to do while you are outputing your DVD?

Rags

Comment

Well, going through the StorageReview forums, many recommended the 3Ware cards for IDE RAID. They say the Promise cards are problematic. I've learned that IDE RAID with fast drives has more throughput than a single SCSI drive, but SCSI drives have lower access times, which translates into faster app loading times. I don't have the money to go all SCSI now, so I guess I'll go for it next time. My scanner is USB and all my drives are IDE, so it would cost more than getting a HD if I were to go all SCSI.

I guess I will be going with a software decoder as my machine is fairly powerful. I am not worried about TV output, because my TV is only slightly bigger than my monitor (20" vs 19"), and the monitor has better color quality and sharpness. I'm not too concerned about 5.1 audio (for now) since I don't have the room for 5.1 speakers. Any recommendations on software decoders?

Jord, I already checked the HCL. Forgot to mention that. Looks like everything is supported, though the Vortex 2 most likely has bad Win2K drivers.

{edit}BTW, since SETI runs low-priority, how much would it affect DVD playing using a software decoder? I really don't want it to stop crunching

Comment

Working...
                        X