• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No video signal on a cold boot with ASUS A7V, need help

I got an ASUS A7V with Tbird 800
    crucial PC 133 memory (256 meg)
    Sblive
    Radeon AIW
    the problem I have is that on any cold boot there is no video signal to the monitor.
    I have to shut down or reset with the keyboard to have a video signal after.
    Its' pretty annoying and I've seen other people, all with A7v having this problem, with different vid card.

I've tested my vid card on an asus cusl2, no problem at all.

I've tried Bios 1003, 1004c, 1004d,
    lots of Bios tweaking, nothing works at all.

Any advice ?
    Is anybody having the same problem with othe VIA KT133 board, cos I'm leaning toward getting rid of this board.

Athlon64 4800+
    Asus A8N deluxe
    2 gig munchkin ddr 500
    eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
    X-Fi Fatality
    HP w2207

I've seen people reporting this same problem with GF2 cards on Abit and Asus MB's, but only with Intel-CPU boards. There's a few capacitors that are charging up, and it's not going fast enough for your video card to get power through the AGP slot before it boots. I've seen better power supplies sometimes help, and you can remove some of these filtering capacitors (Abit does it if you send the board back).
    I just helped a friend with this same issue. Unplug the fan on your video card, and see if it boots okay. If your MB is right on the margin, this may save the few watts you need. If this does happen to work, then get a little splice line, and hook the video card fan into the 12V lines from your other power cables.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks I will give it a try

Kepp the input comming
      Athlon64 4800+
      Asus A8N deluxe
      2 gig munchkin ddr 500
      eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
      X-Fi Fatality
      HP w2207

Comment

Well it didn't work..
        I guess I'm gonna return this board this week and get an MSI..unless somebody comes out with another thing to try.
        Athlon64 4800+
        Asus A8N deluxe
        2 gig munchkin ddr 500
        eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
        X-Fi Fatality
        HP w2207

Comment

Contact Asus. You will probably end up having to remove some capacitors from the MB.

BTW, how good is your PS?
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Its a 300 watt Psu, one that is being used to mount Athlon Computer in a store near my home.

maybe I could check that way...

And contacting Asus...well they still haven't answer one of my mail from 4 weeks ago...quite tough to join them.
            Athlon64 4800+
            Asus A8N deluxe
            2 gig munchkin ddr 500
            eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
            X-Fi Fatality
            HP w2207

Comment

Usually when I have that problem it is one of two things:

1) Bad video card. Plug it into another computer and see if it works. If it's a known good, i.e. you've tested it, then try 2.

2) Remove all peripheral cards, including video and boot up the computer. Let the computer beep for a few seconds then turn it off. Plug back in the video card only and turn it back on. If the card is good and the board is good, this will reset the video setting in the BIOS and it should bring it back up.

If that doesn't work, reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery (circular Li battery on the board) for 2-5 minutes (while the P/S is unplugged). Then try step 2 again.

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Well I'll give it a try.

I already tested my vid card on one of my friend CUSL2 and it worked. Tried it on another A7V, same as in my home...which is pointing towars a board/vid card incompatibility, since we don't have the same hardware for the rest of the system.

I'll try to clear CMOS
                Athlon64 4800+
                Asus A8N deluxe
                2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                X-Fi Fatality
                HP w2207

Comment

Sounds exactly like the problem I had at work. Same hardware exactly except I had a g200. I had to return the computer to the store for testing. After 1.5 hours, they flashed the BIOS with a new one and it worked. The problem was that I got one of the early mobos with the dip switches and apparently the Tbird-800 wasn't supported by the BIOS or something.

Salmonius

Comment

I had this problem as well. What did I do to fix it? I pressed the reset button after the computer was on. problem solved.

Dave
                    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

update BIOS to 1004c
                      ASUS A7V ||| Duron 800@1070 ||| TITAN Majesty -> cooling unit ||| 256Mb PC133 ||| G400 DH MAX ||| SB Live! 1024 ||| IBM 25Gb ||| HP Writer 7100 ||| DVD AOpen 1040 (flash Pionner) ||| Win2k
                      -------------------------------
                      Only one thing is missing in my life. Save button. (bad English I know...)

Comment

Lol to Helevetia, I did it don't worry, but it didn't work, I tried my radeon on my friend comp, who has an A7V with a Tbird 800, like me, and guess what ? same problem...(probably coming from the same batch).

I tried my radeon on a CUSL2 and a MSI K7T and guess what ? EVERYTHING Works.

Like I said I've tried various BIOS, 1003, 1004c, 1004d, 1005.3d, without anything change.
                        I guess that Wombat has the right answer, it really seems to be a power problem. I've been to various board to search for an answer, and a lot of people have this problem, with various video card.

Since I can't afford to not have my computer for weeks, I can't send back this board now.

So I bought a MSI board and everything is working now, without a problem, no more lock-up (at least so far), video initialize, video card is recognized, no more disappering video drivers needing me to reinstall the vid card drivers...

Well, the only positive point of my Asus Board its that it gave me so much problem that it brought me to MURCER level

thanks to all who helped

[This message has been edited by jackzod (edited 22 November 2000).]
                        Athlon64 4800+
                        Asus A8N deluxe
                        2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                        eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                        X-Fi Fatality
                        HP w2207

Comment

hehe, it was worth a shot I swear it worked for me....until yesterday...GRRRRR!

Ever since I upgraded to WinME I've had nothing but problems. I'm starting to get annoyed.
                          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Helevitia: What problems?
                            Cheers
                            Ovi

Comment

to Helevetia

I had a lot of problem with Win ME, including a memory leak, hard drive slowliness, unable to scan disk, and so on....everything is fine since I disabled the auto-restore option.

A beta tester helped me on that one, I swear, everybody I know who had problem with Win ME who disabled it are quite happy now.

Hope it helps
                              Athlon64 4800+
                              Asus A8N deluxe
                              2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                              eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                              X-Fi Fatality
                              HP w2207

Comment

Working...
                              X