Cable Modem questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable Modem questions

I purchased an ATI Radeon AIW yesterday and I was thinking about how I as going to hook up my TV tuner to cable. The nearest cable is in the living room which is too far. Then I started thinking about how data and TV signals travelled across cables lines and wondered if I unhooked my cable from the cable modem and hooked it up to my TV tuner if I'd get a signal. Lo and behold, I did!

Now for my question if you are still reading...If I purchase a splitter for my cable out and hook one side to the cable modem and the other side to the TV tuner, will this work? Beats me??? Only reason I hdaven't gone out and purchased the splitter yet is due to Thanksgiving and everything is closed. I figure I'd post this in the meantime and see what some of you thought. I think it will work but I'm not sure. I'm thinking the cables signal is a different wave signal than the data signal for the cable modem and the will not interfere with eachother. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Dave, slap a good quality splitter on that puppy and watch away ... You shouldn't have any problems what so ever with reception or modem problems.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

woohoo! That's what I was hoping to hear Thanks Greebe!

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I would never dare to argue with the all-knowing guru Greebe, but thought you might like to know this:
        A friend who already had cable TV (NTL) just went for a cable modem on Wednesday. When NTL came to install the line, they measured the loss and decided to run a fresh line for the modem from the box in the road!
        I would think that it may well work, but check your picture quality and data rates!

Good Luck
        Tony.
        FT.

Comment

Tony,

Thanks for the info, but they also ran a new line and I've already tested the quality of the picture as well as the data rate for sending/receiving packets from teh internet and both work outstadning. Now I just hope it works well together(keeps fingers crossed). I'll find out today when I pick up a splitter.

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

Just make sure you pick yourself up a quality splitter. I have had problems with splitting on mine with a cheap one. I have DSS spliced into the same line as my cable, as well as aerial frequency. With a good splitter (I bought mine from an electronics store here, it's a General Instruments I believe), I have no problems with any of the three.

Rags

Comment

Rags,

Thanks, I'll do that.

Dave

Comment

Speaking of NTL, good news. They have cut monthly fees to £19.99. For an extra £5 you can rent a cable modem. That finally persuaded me to sign up, I get mine installed next Saturday

Comment

Ant,

Believe me, you won't ever look back

Comment

Ant, you will be filled with lots and lots of joy. Let us know how you like it.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X