Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far can I take this P2 Mobo?

Hi
    A friend of mine has an old Quantex PII-333 PC and would like to upgrade the CPU. I'm not sure what the motherboard is capable of taking, so here are some details for you experts out there:
    Quantex Q6/333 m-4X
    boot screen says TLC0407D
    03/31/1998-i440LX-2A69JB0DC-00
    Award BIOS v4.51PG

The only i.d. I can see on the mobo is a sticker on a chip (southbridge?) that says LC/P333/128S, which I guess is just the Quantex build label. There is one small group of jumpers next to the BIOS chip, but no labels for them.

If anyone can suggest what CPU could be put in here, it might save me the hassle of a mobo upgrade too.

Thanks in advance.

Tony.

[This message has been edited by Tony Andrews (edited 22 November 2000).]
    FT.

It's an LX, so not far, unfortunately...

I'd say:

No PIII's.
    No Celery II's
    PII - up to 333Mhz
    Celeron - Up to 533Mhz

That's a guess without major modifications....

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

with the suffix of -00 pn the end of the BIOS number it lokos like its still got the release BIOS version. If the Mobo was bought out quite early on in the LX life cycle then it wont run celerons.

If you can get a bios update, then it might be able to take celerons up to its maximum multiplier (ie 333A as worse case senario).

I would say its not worth keeping. Get a new CPU and Mobo. That will be better in the long run, and with DDR mobos just around the corner, you should be able to get a good price on a 'older' mobo now.

Try to get a VIA VT133 pro based mobo, because they are cheap, and you will be able to keep your old PC66 ram, and run it with a 100Mhz FSB CPU.

Ali

Comment

According to Motherboard Worlds MoboCop! that should be a Biostar board, possibly an M6TLC. The following link should give you some more details.

http://iceberg.pchomeworld.com/cgi-w...p?Part=MB65697
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Thanks guys.
          Taz, thats a great resource. It does indeed look like the correct board.
          The sad news is that it is already maxed out, so it looks like more expense/hassle to come!

Cheers

Tony.
          FT.

Comment

Working...
          X