DVD Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Players

Ok well this isn't really a computer hardware question, I'm looking to get a DVD player to hook up to my Sony 27in TV. I'm currently looking at getting a Sony DVPS- 560D. Anyone else have any other suggestions that are in the same class as the 560D and price range? I'm trying to keep it in the $200-$350 dollar range.

Thanks

Scott

------------------
    Abit BH6 with a Celeron 2-566@877mhz,256mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem,WinME on Western Digital 30GB drive
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Stay with the Sony. When I asked my co-workers, who repair DVD players, what one they would recommend they said Sony.
    Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
    Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

Comment

I don't like Sony. Know why? One simple reason - no burnt discs. That rules Sony right out, as far as I'm concerned.

So which players DO read burnt discs? Well, there's a single Sony (the $1000 one). Also there's Pioneer, Philips/Magnavox, Samsung. Other brands are on-again, off-again depending on the model.

- Gurm

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

I would go with an RCA or Phillips Magnavox. They are well built and read all the goodies.

Rags

Comment

I work at an authorized service center for all the major brands, and can concur that the recommendation for a Sony DVD player is a good one. The only ones that our DVD tech doesn't really like are the Pioneers. Really though, they ALL have their problems, and generally all have the same problem, namely, needing the optics replaced. This isn't a set in stone thing though, and your environment will play a role in how soon it needs to be done. I'm a little biased towards Panasonic myself, but only because I have one, and they are slighty ahead of Sony in DVD features most of the time. Had there been a Sony player two years ago that could output a DTS bitstream, I probably would have bought it instead.

I'd say that you really can't go wrong with any of the major brands, including Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Samsung, Philips, Pioneer, Denon, and Yamaha, to name a few.

Much like CD players, just know what features you want and don't pay for things you don't need, though these days, there is not that great a difference in features between the lowest model and the highest in the line. Even the lowest models of the brands I mentioned now have component video output (along with the obligatory S-video and composite), optical and/or coaxial digital output which will pass the DTS bitstream, and the basic transport functions just as your CD player has. Supposedly the Pioneers (and perhaps others) do not support smooth fast forward and rewind, while the Panasonics and Sonys do.

For more home theater type information, and a growing section of questions, check out my new web site!

<A HREF="http://www.aaroncgilbert.com/hometheater.html">My Home Theater Page(s)</A>

Cheers,

Aaron

Comment

Working...
          X