Seagate brings the next gen HDD: 180Gb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seagate brings the next gen HDD: 180Gb

Okay, I will only ask once how many years it takes to defrag and scandisk this drive, but it's true... Seagate just told about their biggest drive for the moment. Fully IDE. Fully 180 Gigabytes !!

SEAGATE DELIVERS DISC DRIVE WITH WORLD'S HIGHEST CAPACITY

This 180-Gigabyte drive can store the equivalent of a stack of text documents that is virtually three times the height of the Empire State Building. The Barracuda 180 satisfies the requirements of large critical storage applications such as data warehousing, e-commerce, data mining, and audio/video. The Barracuda 180 also delivers a record low cost-per-gigabyte with the largest capacity ever offered on a single drive. The Barracuda 180 will ship to the distribution channel in volume during the first quarter of 2001.

The Barracuda 180 spins at 7,200 RPM, has a formatted data transfer rate of up to 47 Mbytes/sec, and will be available in the industry-standard Ultra160 SCSI interface. For A/V-specific work, a 16 Mbyte V-code cache option will be offered.
    Single evaluation unit Suggested Retail Pricing (SRP) for the Barracuda 180 is $2195. Actual street pricing will vary, and will be determined by Seagate authorized resellers.

Errrrm... wow??

Jord.

Jordâ„¢

This just goes to prove that technology has no limits But then,who's complaining
    Ovi

[This message has been edited by Ovi (edited 21 November 2000).]

Comment

Originally posted by Jorden:
      [BThe Barracuda 180 also delivers a record low cost-per-gigabyte with the largest capacity ever offered on a single drive. The [/B]
      How many 45Gb IBM drives can you get for 2200$? They had a rewiew of it on hmmm where wes it now!? Hrmph got to go find the url!

------------------
      Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

Don't get even — get odd!
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Jorden was obviously excited about this but note his descriptive error when he says "Fully IDE" while the extract says "will be available in the industry-standard Ultra160 SCSI interface".

Comment

maybe a nice upgrade for my current 4.5GB U2W SCSI HDD...

is that drive backwards compatible with Single Ended SCSI cards? I've got a 2940UW.

Just joking... I, as a poor collage student , could never afford such a thing

Comment

You'd probably want to run that drive on FC-AL.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

ayoub, it's what I heard, and didn't read

Besides, I could claim you can read that line two ways

Jord.
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Lesseee...

For about $1100-1200 USD I can outfit a Fasttrak100 with a few IBM 75GXP's and end up with a lot more than 180 gigs of space. Not to mention that it'll be a TON faster than that single Barracuda.

Come to think of it, I already have.

240 gigs and counting....

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 22 November 2000).]

Comment

Speaking of large drives:
                  Does anyone know if there is a limit on the size of a drive in the various OSs?
                  95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000, Linux Kernel 2.2 or higher?

I seem to remember hearing about something a year or so ago about this but cannot remember.

Comment

95 is limited to 32 GB, and i think 98 is limited to 137 GB.
                    GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

Working...
                    X