Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Coppermine should I get? Pls Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Coppermine should I get? Pls Help.

If I run a 133mhz fsb Cumine on my P3B-F, with 133mhz memory, is this overclocking my PCI or AGP systems? I want to get a Cumine, but I don't know precisely which one? Also there are alot of stepping numbers and other such that I read about and see, but what do they really mean? Please help. Thanx guys (gals too)

------------------
    AsusP3B-F ,iCeleron466on Slotket, 128megs PC133 cas2, G40032megSH, Diamond MX300, 13.5gigs of HD's, 52X CDrom WinME PD 5.41 with 6.10 ICD,Altec Lansing ATP3 Subwoofer system,Envision 17incher,1 grey cat, 1 black cat and 1 calico
    AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

That will oc your AGP card. Get a 650E - 850E, depending on how much money you want to spend. It might be smart to get a FCPGA chip with a slotket adapter (ASUS comes to mind). Similar speed as above. The FC will be useful longer since there will be more mb with socket 370 than Slot 1 in the future.

The stepping number isn't so important right now. They indicate the manufacturing procedure used for the chip. Intel changes the stepping number everytime they optimize the process further.

For stepping right now, everything is good. cC0 stepping is the most advanced right now. cB0 is fine also. Difficult to find an older stepping processor in a reputable store. The sspec on the outside of the processor can be found at:
    http://support.intel.com/support/pro.../sspec/p3p.htm

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 17 November 2000).]

Comment

Thanx Brian. I have a celery 466 now on a slotket adapter of some sort. Is it compatible with the FCPGA Cumines? And when I go into the store, I ask for a P3850E? And that's all I need to specify?

------------------
      AsusP3B-F ,iCeleron466on Slotket, 128megs PC133 cas2, G40032megSH, Diamond MX300, 13.5gigs of HD's, 52X CDrom WinME PD 5.41 with 6.10 ICD,Altec Lansing ATP3 Subwoofer system,Envision 17incher,1 grey cat, 1 black cat and 1 calico

Comment

No, you have to get a special slotket for FCPGA cpus.

Yes, ask for a PIII 850 FCPGA and not Slot 1

Comment

Depending on availability, I would suggest either of the 2 following CPUs:

pIII-700e cb0
          pIII-800e cc0

I can only think of the sweet loving I would get from the last one. I kind of want it real bad.
          Salmonius

Comment

don't forget to update your m/board bios to latest version as well!!

Comment

The 700& 800mhz chips should be about the same prise (+/-5$) so it all depends on how much you are planing to overclock!

------------------
              Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

Don't get even — get odd!
              According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

my P3-700E cC0 does 933 without breaking into a sweat... therefore (assuming I don't have a 'golden' sample), I would recommend getting a cC0 p3-750E or p3-800E... I think a 750 has a high chance of hitting 1GHz without a single prob, and if you're lucky a 800E will do 1066MHz...

just make sure you get the cC0 stepping, and a good slocket... I am using the Gigabyte slocket, which works fine (and is quite cheap too).

Good luck upgrading!

Comment

Thanx to all. Very helpful. And maybe I will grab me another 128 meg stick-o-joy too.

------------------

Comment

Just remember that the more RAM slots you have occupied, the lower your chances of getting the most out of your processor from an oc standpoint.

Comment

I prolly won't oc much at first as it will be alot faster than what I have now, and if I kill it, I will have to go back to the 466 as I don't have alot of money. Also, why is it important that I get a FCPGA with adapter, instead of a slot1? I figured that there would be less to go wrong with a slot1 as there are less pieces, less connections and less brand names involved. Is the fcpga chip faster or more stable than the slot1 piece? Also, if a 133mhz part is overclocking, then what are they sold for? Do you need a special mb for them?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bohrn (edited 18 November 2000).]

Comment

I have a 650 slot1 doing 900, 1.85V, topping 33C under full load. It is important that you get a socket one with an adapter because Intel is moving away from slot CPUs, so if you want to get a socket mobo in the future you won't have to change the CPU along with the mobo. But again, Intel will move away from the socket 370 with its P4, so whether you have a slot or socket Cumine you'll still change mobo, CPU, case and memory when you swith to P4 (VIA DDR mobo or Intel DDR mobo).
                        There is another path, DDR memory and a VIA mobo (to be released next year Q1 or 2) +socket Cumine. There will always be the 0.13 micron Cumines next year, choices, choices.

In the end:

1.If you want a direct switch to P4, DDR memory and a VIA mobo (before summer 2001) or an Intel mobo (fall 2001), a slot1 Cumine will hold you.

2.You could get a slotket and a socket Cumine, change to a DDR P3 mobo (when they're out) and DDR memory and further change to a 0.13 micron Cumine and go the P4 way after that.

3. F*ck Intel and get an AMD760 mobo, DDR memory, a T-Bird or a Duron and be happy cose you'll only upgrade CPU during the next year.

[This message has been edited by Admiral (edited 19 November 2000).]

Comment

Hey Admiral,

With your AMD/VIA solution you also require a more expensive motherboard, and you may have to replace your power supply and memory to be compliant with AMD's strict compatibility lists.

On top of that, you will have the "joys" of running a non-Intel chipset, which are as stable as mud. Check out the forums at Matrox support and see how many people report "bars" going vertical and horizontal and also random freeze ups. I spent a week fighting this with driver updates and Windows reinstalls until it became apparant that one IRQ was shared over all cards in the system (sound, G200, and network). I returned the Tyan Apollo Pro chipset motherboard and picked up a trusty Intel BX chipset motherboard - no more problems.

Since this experience I've also noted VIA and Sis mentioned in many incompatibility notes. On Linux (see Redhat hardware notes), with CDROM burners (I think it was Plextor FAQ), and so on, VIA or Sis chipset is known to cause problems and there are no solutions yet.

If you stick with Intel chipsets this doesn't happen! If I could run a Duron with Intel chipset or perhaps with pure AMD chipsets on north and south bridge, perhaps I'd consider it, but Ali, Via and Sis are just junk in my view.

I don't love Intel, I just know I don't have any problems with compatibilties and with a motherboard like the Asus P3B-F you can assign IRQs to specific slots if there is madness going on. No such solution with the Tyan MB I fought with. Asus motherboards have also been good with any generic RAM I feed them. Not so with Tyan and some others.

In the end, the savings on the CPU alone is deceiving when other required upgrades and possible loss of productivity is factored in.

Comment

"if a 133mhz part is overclocking, then what are they sold for? Do you need a special mb for them?"

133 MHz fsb is only an overclocked setting for a 100 MHz cpu, not one multiplier locked to run at 133. The multiplier internal to the cpu determines the fsb setting the cpu runs at comfortably. The fsb basically determined the speed the memory runs at, not the cpu. The cpus now generally can run at 1 GHz. So if you use a 100 MHz fsb mb, then the multipliers in these cpus are in the range of 6 to 10. The same cpus sold to run on a 133 MHz fsb mb are set with multipliers in the range of 4.5 to 7.5.

The 133 MHz fsb chips are not oc'ed. They are rated to be capable of running at that speed. Overclocking of the cpu is not harmful for the most part, unless carried to extreme (high voltage settings needed for stability, generating additional heat). The problem with overclocking is in the peripherals which really are running out of spec. They are not meant to run at the speeds imposed by increasing the fsb, although they may without harm.

MBs are generally able to run at 100 MHz. Some will also operate at 133 MHz comfortably for the peripherals. The PCI buss has a default speed of 33 MHz and AGP default is 66 MHz. There are divider setting which determine the ratio of the fsb to the AGP and PCI busses. 100 MHz mb do not have the necessary dividers to allow the AGP buss to run at 66 MHz (1:2) while the fsb is running at 133 MHz.

"why is it important that I get a FCPGA with adapter, instead of a slot1?"

See admiral's discussion. They will allow upgrades for a longer period of time. I think the FCPGA chips may oc a little better than the corresponding Slot 1 chips also. No significant differences between the Slot 1 and FCPGA.

Comment

Thanx again all. Prolly wednesday or so I will grab me the fastest P3 I can afford.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X