Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Linux Server Suggestions?

Hi all.
    Can anyone give me some input/suggestions on building a Red Hat Linux rack mount file server?

Here's my plan so far:
    5U server case w/300W power supply.
    Asus P3BF motherboard.
    PIII 800E processor.
    512MB Kingston P133 RAM.
    4 to 8 IBM Deskstar 45Gig ATA100 HDs.
    1 to 2 Promise FastTrak ATA100 controller cards.
    ATI Expert 99 video card(What? It's a server!).
    3Com 10/100 ethernet card.
    Yamaha 8x8x24 CD-RW.
    Floppy, keyboard & mouse.

Questions:
    Do Promise FastTrak controllers(non RAID version) have two IDE channels, each with a master and a slave? (four HDs in total)
    Can I put two Promise FastTrak controller cards in the same machine?
    Would Linux have any problems handling such massive amounts of HD storage?(8x45Gig HDs)

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Riddek.
    "Whoa..."
    Keanu Reeves.

You should check your hardware against the hardware compatibility list fisrt:
    http://hardware.redhat.com/redhatrea.../us/db-hcl.cgi

Mobo and ethernet card should be no problem

Comment

Size should be fine, but I haven't checked out the hardware. If the drivers for the Promise are out there, you'll probably have to compile your own kernel before everything runs okay.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Edski,
        I checked out the compatabilty list you suggested then went out and bought a skid of Prozak. The only component I listed that's on the compatability list is the processor. I hope that list isn't accurate. I'm going to have to contact Red Hat directly and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the the info, guys.
        Riddek.
        "Whoa..."
        Keanu Reeves.

Comment

Mmm, just tried it...that new search engine sucks big time..here is the old list:
          http://www.redhat.com/support/hardwa...-hcl-i.ld.html

Another place to check is the manufacturer's site

Unfortunatly it doesn't have a list for rh 7 (which has a LOT more hardware support then 6.2)
          I don't think the motherboard will be a problem. The video card is supported (type Xpert not Expert in the new search engine!). If the Nic is an 905x it is also supported, 3com also has drivers for it

Not sure about the cdrw.. The promise controller is a big question mark as it is rather new (for Linux standards).

Grtz,
          Ed

Comment

I'll check out the Promise controller for you, but the way the kernel is coded I'll need probably need the number from off the chip, not just (Promise ATA-100). I'm pretty sure its at least experimental, if not stable.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hmmmmmm... I just found out this whole thing may have to work under Red Hat 6.1 to be compatable with Cold Fusion. I guess the best course of action is to dive right in, buy the components and cross my fingers. The retailer who quoted me on the system seems to think everything is compatable, but then again he also said a PIII 850E processor is incompatable with the Asus P3BF motherboard. (which just so happens to be the setup in the system I'm typing this post on) I should have no trouble returning things if they don't work out.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Same Bat-Time, same Bat-Channel.
              "Whoa..."
              Keanu Reeves.

Comment

Working...
              X