Stupid newbie question!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid newbie question!!

Will a 0.18 micron work with a ka7-100? What are the benifits of .18 rather then a .25 micron? And what makes the thunderbird different since its not compatible with the ka7?
    Thanks

.18 micron allows the components to be smaller, make les heat and run at a lower voltage. It also compared to a higher micron such as .25, allows the processor to be more overclockable due to the less heat.

I do not know why you would say the thunderbird is not compatable with KA7. I am unfamiliar with that motherboard, but the thunderbird is a bit more advanced than the avaerage Athlon. It has clock speed cache and goes to higher speeds. AMD stopped making faster regular Athlons. Thunderbirds also come in SocketA which is what AMD is pushing for the future. Is the thunderbird you are referring to socketA or slotA?

Comment

The cpu is a slot a, the reason i'm asking is because I have a ka7-100 and bought a thunderbird 900mhz, which acording to abit its not compatible with the board.. But is a .18 micron the same thing as a thunderbird?

Thanks

Comment

High_Jumbllama,

The fact that the SlotA Thunderbird does not work (or work properly at least) with the KX133 chipset boards, comes directly from AMD. Several of the KX133 motherboard manufacturers also make note of this. Some people have taken their chances and got the SlotA Tbird to work with a KX133 board, but use at your own risk. If you absolutely must use a SlotA Tbird, I'd recommend the MSI K7Pro motherboard, as it's based on the AMD750 chipset and is compatible with the Thunderbird (also a great motherboard besides, from what I've read).

Aaron

[This message has been edited by aaroncgi (edited 17 November 2000).]

Comment

Ahh OK. I just haven't been looking lately.

Comment

Working...
          X