HD churning noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD churning noises

I recenctly acquired a 15.3 gig IBM deskstar 75GXP HD. Often I hear what I can only describe as churning noises from the HD. It is as though the read/write head has stuttered or misaligned itself temporarily. Fortunately, it then continues reading the data. Checking the HD with IBM's Drive Fitness Test software shows no error, even after using the advance test.

Strangly enough, when the HD is in a vertical position, the noise seem to go away.

Does anybody know what is wrong?

don't know what's wrong but I have one of those disks & it's virtually silent. any chance of you getting it exchanged for a new one?

Comment

I'd personally backup the data and get rid of it as fast as I could.
      Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

IBM drives are silent. If it's making any noise beyond the faintest of access ticks, get the data off it and get it exchanged. If the place you got it won't exchange it, IBM will. If you let them put a hold on your credit card they'll even ship you the new one before you take the old one out!

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Just to add in my experience with IBM drives.
          Just agreeing with everyone really.
          I currently have 2x ATA-100 30GB IBM units and they really are almost silent.
          Even with disk to disk transfer the only way you know things are still going is the flashing light on the front of my case.
          Sounds like you have one of the very few faulty IBM units around.
          It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
          Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Thanks guys... I looked at IBM's website and I found .wav files of what their faulty HDs will sound like! I'll compare it with the sound that mine makes. It is a pity, as the HD is very very fast.

GURM, if the place i bought it won't change the HD, what does IBM do it exactly? Change it for free???

Comment

IBM will exchange it under warranty, they will help you to get an RMA number for it, you then ship it to them, and they ship it back to you.
              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I have 2 raided 75GXP-45s and if what i hear is normal * 2 then a single drive must ge realy quiet.
                I've never had an IBM drive go out. But, I think the usual practice (I've done it with WD) is for them to take your credit card number and cross ship you a new drive.
                They will not give you your old drive back.
                It probably goes to engineering to investigate what went wrong.
                chuck
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

I think I'll send the drive back to IBM. Good thing I have a CD-RW drive to back up all my data.

Thanks guys... you've been great.

Comment

Working...
                  X