Socket A Heatsinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socket A Heatsinks

Hi all, I'm just asking a question, would the Global Win FOP-38 be a good heatsink to put on the AMD Duron 600 (or 650) that I will be purchasing in the next few days? The only other chioce I have in this city is a Golden Orb (Socket A one) but I'd much rather not buy a Gorb as I'm not enthused at it's overclocking performance. Needless to say the Duron is going to be overclocked once I get it (or soon afterwards). If you guys/girls could respond to this that would be very nice as I'm getting the cooler in 2 days. Thanks for any replies.

dsp
    1.8GHz PIV (Northwood) @ 2.5GHz
    512MB Corsair PC2700 @ 2-2-2 1T
    MSI 845PE FISR
    8.4GB Quantum CR
    40GB Maxtor 5400
    MSI 40X12X48
    Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
    SB Audigy
    Parhelia (210/600)
    19" Dell P991
    Win2kPro
    Intel Gigabit Network

By all means get the FOP-38 don't waste your money or time with the GORB or GORBAGE as they are known. The GORBs are only marginaly better than the Intel Retail heatsink/fan on P3's so they won't do much for your Duron.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

YepYepYep....the GlobalWin is an excellent choice...but the fan that comes with the FOP38 is a seriously NOISY bastard!! I have opted myself for the YS-Tech 27CFM job on the Global Win, and it runs just peachy. I think the model that has the quieter fan is usually called the FOP32, or something...

Only HS/fan assy I like better is the Alpha PEP6035(?)...but all of a sudden it is getting impossible to find...so my second choice is the Global Win.

I think the Orbs are fine for moderately overclocked PIII's, but I wouldn't put one on a Duron or T-bird.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I don't mind the noise of the FOP-38 as long as it cools worth its $5 (canadian) price difference to the FOP-32 (27CFM YS-TECH). I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and will be getting my new system by the end of my weekend. I am quite sure I'll love this processor as you can see by the processor its replacing (see sig). Thanks to all in the Forums for helping me with this upgrade, your help has been great see you all later.

dsp

------------------
        AMD K6-2 350@500MHz
        128MB Generic PC-133 RAM
        13.6GB Maxtor 7200RPM Hard Drive
        4.3GB Quantum HD
        Toshiba SD-M1212 6X DVD ROM
        ACER 2X/2X/6X CD-RW
        SB Live X-Gamer 5.1
        Matrox G400 32MB Dualhead Vanilla @ 157/210/157
        15" Daytek 1531D
        PD 6.1