Where is the JOY in my STICK ? (long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the JOY in my STICK ? (long)

Given the recent failure of my Gravis Blackhawk Digital to work properly with the standard gameport on my Yamaha sound card, I was faced with three options:

1. Get a USB joystick, circumventing the sound card

2. Get a new sound card which properly supports my joystick

3. Get both a new sound card and joystick

I chose option #1, as it was marginally the cheapest and theoretically (or so I thought) the least likely to upset my stable system.

So, after many long hours of searching the web and reading all the joystick reviews I could find in the sub $50 category, I settled on the Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold USB. This was based on all the glowing reviews, everyone saying how great this stick was. The final decision would be dependant on a test in person at CompUSA. Turns, out, despite their computer saying they had six in stock, they couldn't find a one! I swear, every time I go into that store I'm more disgusted. Nothing has prices, nobody is around to help, and there is no organization whatsoever. Anyhow! So, went to a 'software' store, who happened to have one of the Saitek Joysticks in stock (but no demo). Still, I got it and a new game to try out.

Taking it out of the box and getting my hands on it, I was immediately struck by how unergonomic it is compared to my Gravis Blackhawk. Now before you Cybog users go off on me, here are my reasons:

-The stick is too tall - the hand rest sits too far above the base - the throttle control cannot easily be used by just one finger/thumb - all the buttons on the base are awkward to reach - the trigger button is too touchy and too far forward - the buttons on top of the stick are too close together and not differentiated enough - and finally! - the head rocks back and forth slightly while using the HAT switch.

Now all that said, this is still a great stick. WHAT?! The handle has a sort of rubberized plastic that feels great and solid. All the buttons, and throttle, have a rugged feel, as does the rest of the stick with the exception of the aforementioned wobbly top. In game play, it's definitely a more precise controller than the Blackhawk, but at the same time not as easy to use. I figured I'd get used to it.

This is all well and good, so why am I posting, you ask? The installation was a snap, just installed the software and then plugged the stick into the USB port, check all the functions and calibrated it, easy as pie (though still not as cool as the Gravis Installation). Tried a few games, they all worked great and recognized it. Then it gets sticky.

I tried to load the software that came with the stick, called Saitek Gaming Extensions. First off, the shortcut it puts on the desktop simply opens one of the Saitek folders (why it made two on the same drive is anyone's guess) in Windows Explorer. Ok that is fine, I have Explorer set to open in my second monitor, which it does. However, as soon as this happens, my mouse becomes restricted to the primary monitor, and thus I can't access what I just opened! If I disable Dual Head multi-display and re-enable, I was able to get it back - sometimes without restarting, but mostly I had to reboot. So I finally try to follow the somewhat obscure instructions to custom program my joystick for this new game I got, and I get several errors. Seems Windows Explorer has suddenly performed an illegal operation and also cannot be shut down (CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't even work). Reset again. Oh, great, upon loading I get a Windows Protection Error, I can only run in Safe Mode!!! ARGH. All I wanted to do was change some of the friggin buttons in my game, and now Windows won't run? Fortunately, unstalling/removing the joystick and it's associated software allowed me to get back into Windows normally.

If it hadn't been for these issues, I probably could have lived with the joystick, and I still might if someone has experienced this strange problem and knows a fix. However, given the better ergonomics of the Gravis Stick and hassle free use, I'm strongly thinking of going to route # 2 (remember that?) and just getting a new sound card. Yes, the Gravis isn't as well built and won't hold up as long, but it IS half the price, I can buy two and enjoy using them more anyhow. Have also looked at the Gravis Xterminator game pad, as well as the Eliminator Extreme game pad, both feel very nice, but I still would prefer a stick and they still would face the same issues.

SOOOOOO, can anyone reccommend a decent soundcard that doesn't break that bank which has true support for a Digital stick on it's game port? Or alternatively, is there a game port card that anyone carries which could be installed separately?

Congratulations, you've reached the end!

Cheers,

Aaron

[This message has been edited by aaroncgi (edited 14 November 2000).]

Sorry for all the edits, it's still early!

Well, did a bit of searching, and it seems the Turtle Beach Quadzilla is exactly what I'm looking for. I know I know, Aureal is out of business, but I read that Greebe had got this working with a G400 and Athlon, which is exactly what I've got. Also found a link for the latest drivers at vortexofsound.com, lots of cool stuff there. To top it off, found the card for only $40 at a local shop which I will be by on Thursday, can't ask for much more than that.

Cheers,

Aaron

Comment

The problem is that Turtle Beach has made changes to the Quadzilla which WILL NOT allow it to use Aureal's reference drivers...you will lose the rear channels since the rear channels are on a daughter board which the reference drivers cannot communicate with(which, incidently, are another reason to consider another card....the daughter card for the TBQuad uses up another slot). I don't think the current drivers from TB are that much behind the reference ones, but all the same, if you want an Aureal solution, go with a SQ2500.

I have a USB Saitek, and I love it, but the software package bites. In addition, I have no use for it. What is it that you wanted the 'Saitek-supplied' software for? Although I loaded it up to check it out, I could see no real need for it and dumped it. Saitek makes a great J-stick, but their software writers need to finish High-School and work on that College degree so they can figure out WTF they are doing.

Comment

Ok this bites. I just got my Turtle Beach Quadzilla, have {tried} installing it three times already, hasn't stayed working for more than a few minutes yet. Still have a few things to check, but this is NOT the smooth 5 minute install that my Yamaha card was. Sound was working, no conflicts or errors, then I go to install my Gravis software/drivers again, whose setup uses sound, and the thing locks up!

Reboot - system locks up trying to play startup sound (I presume - never got to the icons on the desktop, just background)

Reboot again - icons display, still locked up

Reboot yet again - finally no lockup, but go into Device Manager, and everything related to my Quadzilla has now vanished, no sound whatsoever, any Turtle Beach application produces an error. Nice.

To top this off, in the 'My Computer', I have what's called a system folder labeled 'Saitek Gaming Extensions', which I cannot delete! I have no idea what it's doing there or why I can't delete it.

Cripes, all I wanted was a working joystick! If I can't get this quadzilla working in a few days it's going back, and the cheapest soundcard I can find with digital joystick support is going in, cheapest that works, that is. Heck I might not even wait a few days, my tolerance for crap like this is getting very low these days, I just want to use my system, you know?? Thank god my G400 hasn't given me these sorts of problems..

Greebe, I hear you got a Quadzilla working with your Athlon (while ago I know), but actually I think you had an AMD chipset, not VIA, that might be the rub. Still, any comments would be appreciated!

Tyan S2380 KX133 v. 1.02
        Athlon 650
        PC133 128M
        Matrox G400 32M DH PD 6.10
        IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30G
        Kenwood 42X

Soundcard to be determined

Zoom 56k PCI
        Samsung Syncmaster 950P
        Daewoo CMC-1501BA

Thanks a bunch for any ideas!

Comment

you forgot another option -- serial joysticks.

i believe gravis makes a compact serial joystick primarly it was made for laptops that did not have joystick ports befor usb joysticks toke off.

i myself have a logitech wingman warrior serial joystick that i got refurbed for $20 back when i had problems with the joystick port on my sound card.

Comment

thecurse,

Thanks, I did not even realize that was an option! If anyone makes one, probably Gravis does.. But this is a moot point now, I put my Yamaha sound card back in, hooked up my NEW Gravis Blackhawk Digital, and whadda you know, it works right!!

Just call me an idiot, all I had to do was buy a new joystick and here I've gone through this whole saga of the USB joystick then the new soundcard which isn't compatible with my motherboard chipset, etc. etc. etc. !!!

Finally I have a joystick again! Think I'll buy one or two more of these sticks, they're on sale at Outpost.com for $10 less than anywhere else!

Cheers, finally!!

Aaron

[This message has been edited by aaroncgi (edited 16 November 2000).]

Comment

Ya it was on an AMD chipset MB (MSI 6167)

(still thinking about it)
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hey Greebe. The stupid thing is, you go to Turtle Beach's support section of their web site, and it says that the Quadzilla (and I presume their other cards based on the Vortex 2 chip) have known incompatibilities with ALL Athlon chipsets. And the only other thing they say is to check AMD's web site for compatibility. ???? Well I used to be able to find that on AMD's site, but for some reason the only compatibility I can find is for power supplies and motherboards. Oh well. No harm done I guess, plus I've saved some bucks. Now I have felt the pain I've been reading about for months concerning sound card installation and the Athlon. Not sorry that I missed out on it! Long live Yamaha!

Aaron

Comment

The only real compatibility problem I have encountered with the Aureal cards and VIA chipsets is that SB emulation seems to be a big problem...if you consider not having SB emulation a problem, that is. All I have ever had to do, besides using the latest drivers and seeing that the IRQ's were OK, was to disable SB emulation and all was cool. Hard to see exactly what might have happened in your case...

Comment

Working...
                  X