Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Netscape 6 has been released & does anyone care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netscape 6 has been released & does anyone care?

Hehe, just been to www.netscape.com and saw this:
    You are currently using:
    Microsoft Internet Explorer (a non-Netscape browser) 5.5
    English language, Windows NT, Weak or Unknown Encryption

Upgrade Available!

Netscape Communicator 4.76
    English language, Windows NT, Strong 128-bit Encryption
    Upgrade to NS 4.76? I wouldn't call that an upgrade!

Anyone know the current status of IE6? I heard they are integrating MSN Messenger into it and cosmetic tweaks but that's all I know.

What about standards support of all these browsers? Anyone know what's the best?

Paul.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

I download it. Don't use it though.
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Tried it. Wiped it.

Still crashes randomly on text-only pages.

Still crashes randomly when scrolling through an already-loaded page.

Still doesn't correctly implement Java.

Still SUCKS.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Paul:
        NO!!!!

------------------
        Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

Don't get even — get odd!
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Since the release of IE 4 Netscape just hasn't been able to keep up.
          I have no intention of ever using Netscape again - unless somebody offered me vast amounts of cash to.
          It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
          Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

I CARE! Okay, I said it! I CARE! Are you happy now?

I just tried to pull Netscape 6, but I got an access denied on the ftp site. Netscape 6 may be a tad unstable at the moment, but when it's working, it processes web pages twice as fast as anyone else. I hope they get all the kinks out soon.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I use Netscape at work (it lets me get around the firewall - hehe. shhhhh).

Otherwise, I'm an IE guy.
              PIII 550@605
              IWill Motherboard VD133
              VIA Chipset
              512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
              G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
              DirectX 8.0a
              SB Live! Value
              8x DVD (Toshiba)
              6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
              Intel Pro/100+ NIC
              3Com CMX Cable Modem
              Optiquest V95 19"
              HP 812C Color Ink Jet
              Microtek flatbed scanner
              Intellimouse Explorer
              Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
              AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

but when it's working, it processes web pages twice as fast as anyone else

Try Opera.. now that's a really nice browser, of which you can expect a lot in the future.

Comment

I tried and paid for a copy of Opera 3.61. It couldn't stay up for more than a few minutes with casual web browsing. But they do have a 4.* version out now that may be different.

I know that Microsoft used to plant stuff in the web pages at their site to trigger crashes in Netscape. This was years ago when IE2 and 3 sucked. I just can't see any other reason why only their web pages would have something like a space between the closing TR and TABLE tags, triggering Netscape at that time to blow up.

Anyway, not too surprising that Netscape is getting crappy, as all of the programming genuises left when AOL took over. If you want to cultivate good programming, you have to offer a corporate culture that is condusive to the sorts of freedoms the programmers expect, which includes the freedom to experiment and come across ideas and exchange with others. AOL doesn't offer that like the old Netscape does, and these guys are in demand, so they moved on to places where they could work the way they like.

The only thing negative I have to say about IE is that it isn't a program (unless you are on Mac or Unix), it is part of the operating system. Like Outlook, it is too integrated with the OS, and this is both dangerous and more difficult to maintain if anything goes wrong with it.

Comment

Using Netscape 4.76, but I won't upgrade to Netscape 6.0(x)... I'll wait for the Mozilla version to see the full daylight

I do feel NS still loads pages faster than any version of IE, especially with Javascript off. Who has all the bandwidth to use Java, Javascript, Active X, and whatever they think of next or I forgot about, to load their webpages?

Jord.
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

I'm still using Nutscrape 4.75. Yes, I do care about getting a good upgrade while staying IE-free, but I'm not sure if NS6 is it yet.

I tried Opera (I forget which version) a few months ago, but I didn't like it as much as Nutscrape.

Comment

I still prefer Netscape over IE, it's nicer to use and more informative.

Tried the beta of Netscape 6.0, thought it was a step in the wrong direction.
                        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I more and more I read these forums the more people I hear have switched to IE - does anyone still use NS4.X or are planning to switch to NS6? Or are all the old NS users now going for Mozilla?

I might try it but probably will stick with IE for convenience...

Anyway, here you's go:
                          ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape6/english/6.0/windows/win32/
                          ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape6/english/6.0/mac/macos8.5/
                          ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape6/english/6.0/unix/linux22/

Regards,

Paul.

------------------
                          Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
                          Computer Solutions | Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal | Pace Central
                          Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
                          Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
                          Meet Jasmine.
                          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I used to be a big netscape fan, even after win98 came out with IE4.
                            But after alot of crashes and problems and mis-downloaded sites, i totaly gave up on netscape and switched over to IE 5.
                            IMHO it's IE 5 and up that's really good, IE 4 was just some crap, in 5.01 u don't even have to switch to offline mode, it detects it

GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

Gurm, was it like charmin? Did it leave dingle berries? or was it like sandpaper and left you with the feeling you would have been better to have used leaves?

Since you've never really like NS and IE is so perfect, why would you bother trying it again unless it was something else to harp about?
                              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X