PDA

View Full Version : Important Safety Tip.

uberlad
10th November 2000, 02:09
CD trays are fragile. Do not knock them, for instance after you've spent all evening putting your new computer together and it has booted perfectly first time.

I knocked mine last night, and was picking bits of plastic and cogs out of the carpet. Suffice it to say that I am now borrowing a CD drive.

I am SOOOOOOOOO STOOPID.

I presume that CD-R's aren't worth trying to get repaired (it's over 12 months old) and that I"d be better of putting it on the house insurance?

I doubt they'll give me much more than the 170 quid or so I first paid for it, so any idea what kind of drive I can get with that kinda money. Looks to me like the nearest thing to mine (6x4x16 Yamaha internal SCSI) is the 8x8x24. Or should I change my manufacturer (if the insurance will allow it)?

A very foolish,

Uberlad 8-(

------------------
-------------------------
8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

uberlad
10th November 2000, 02:11
What a depressing 100th post eh?

Uberlad 8-(

------------------

ayoub_ibrahim
10th November 2000, 02:48
if you can manage an extra 60 then why not go for a plextorx12x4x32 SCSI unit?

uberlad
10th November 2000, 03:35
Which would be nice. I"ll know how much the insurance is gonna pay out in the middle of next week. I'm hoping that they'll be reaplacing what was the top of the range last year with this years top of the range.

Although that mostly happens in my damn dreams 8-)

Uberlad

------------------

Fat Tone
10th November 2000, 03:37
Don't forget the excess - 50?

uberlad
10th November 2000, 06:11
I prefer a 50 pounds excess to having to spend at least 166 quid on a new drive.

Now the 250 pounds excess on my car when I crashed it.......don't get me started.

Uberlad

------------------

ahartman
10th November 2000, 06:36
What's a quid? Is it a pound? How many pence in pound? What's a shilling?

I hear all these things in british movies and just get confused.

(sorry to hijack this thread, just curious)

uberlad
10th November 2000, 06:49
1 quid = 1 pound = 100 pence.

Do we have anyone old enough to be able to explain the old shilling system? I run out of madness values after sixpence 8-)

Why is friday afternoon so long? I want to go home and overclock my new computer 'til it squeels.

Uberlad

------------------

Fat Tone
10th November 2000, 08:19
I remember that youthful enthusiasm. I used to stay up till 3 am squeezing the last spare byte of lower-memory from my 386. For the last few months (after getting my K7 to 900 and stable) I've actually managed to leave well alone.
250 quid - ouch!
Home time soon - yay!

DentyCracker
10th November 2000, 10:42
Y'all sound like a bunch of fourth graders
"Home time soon"
wtf, that's what I used to say when I was going to Grammar School eons ago ('70s)

uberlad
10th November 2000, 12:56
Right! Now I'm pissed! I blame the beer to be fair.

For the information of people, the processor is up to 1GHz, and I only had to resinatll all of my drivers due to loss of regisrty one.

Now I@m drinking unitl I fall over, far more satisfyign thast overclocking.

Hic.

Btw, ahartman, a monkey is 50 quid.

Uberlad, hic.

------------------

Pace
10th November 2000, 14:07
And a pony is a twenty, jist dinnae ask me whit yon tenner is!

With regards to the old system of money:

A shilling is equivalent to 5 new pence, and a British penny is roughly equivalent to the American penny (aka cent) - 100 in a pound that is! A shilling, I believe, was the actual name for the coin. Ponies and monkies etc are just nicknames for certain values of larger notes (in multiples of pounds).

Paul.

ayoub_ibrahim
10th November 2000, 16:05
ouch!!! talk about twisting the knife.

Vic20
14th November 2000, 08:52
Anyone remember DR-DOS 6.0? You could get about 700K of base memory with that baby ...nothing would run on it though!!

Vic

Brian R.
14th November 2000, 11:31
All the CDROM problems sound like good arguments for buying a slot drive.

spoogenet
14th November 2000, 22:05
How many times do we have to tell people, "It's not a cupholder!"

J/k. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

All things considered, it does sound like a good reason for a slot drive. I keep hearing everybody praising them, maybe I should get one soon?

b

uberlad
15th November 2000, 00:57
Slot drives= Brilliant!!!

Had a pioneer slot loading DVD drive, but sold it to get the SCSI one, and they stopped selling the SCSI one (don't gte me started on that little rant 8-) ).

I don't think anyone makes a slot-loading CD-RW drive though, otherwise I"d be there at the head of the queue to buy one.

No word from the insurance company, had to get a cheap CD drive to replace it in the meantime. It suprisingly doesn't suck horrendously and is rather quiet. Sandra says it's about a 30x which isn't bad for a 52xMAX if I remember correctly. 8-)

------------------

DentyCracker
15th November 2000, 02:17
12 old pence=1shilling, 20 shillings=1 pound Sterling, and 21 shillings was a guinea back in the bad old days when we used the British system (our money was equivalent to the British at that point LOL. In 1969 we went with dollars and cents. In 1976 US$1 was worth 76 Jamaican cents, since then the country has been raped by successive governments and now US$1 is worth J$45.
I've feared snapping the door off the Plextor burner only since moving to this house. I think it's because of the close proximity of the machine to my bed that this has crossed my mind

Brian R.
15th November 2000, 06:13
Denty - In reality, all you have to do is practice safe bedroom antics.

Jorden
15th November 2000, 06:50
Uberlad, just out of curiosity: How did you knock the CD-tray to have it break up in pieces? Or was it cheap plastic? I knock my CD-tray loads of times, but never was able to break it ( http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/frown.gif?) http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/wink.gif

Ofcourse, when it's open after the coca-cola-trick-loader and you dropped the hammer with which you tried to hammer the old CPU to your wall, it falling on the open tray, it would smatter in pieces.
Otherwise I don't see how you did it.

Jord.

uberlad
15th November 2000, 09:06
I have no idea how I managed to put enough force on it, but I basically caught it with a seam on my jeans as I stepped past the box (the new case being a few inches longer than the old case....).

The only thing to be said bad about yamaha CD-RW drives is that their CD tray is rather flimsy. When I caught it I managed somehow to almost pull off the front of the draw, and snapped both of the retainers beck in the drive. After that there was a lot of swearing.

When the insurance company tell me I can go out and buy, I might not go Yamaha, but only for this clumsy-fool reason. Apart from that the drive gave me a loyal year of perfect service. Arse.

Right, the full depth of my incompetence has been plumbed now, I think I"ll go off and cry 8-)

Uberlad (aka Steve the Drive-Killer)

------------------