Anyone know how to stop this.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know how to stop this.....

When ever i access open the port for my modem my system hangs for about a second disrupting mp3 playback - although on my mates it doesn't.

I have a T'bird 1GHz with a Live! 5.1 card

Thanks.
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Also my general performance is not what i expected. For example in Q3 with everything turned on @ 800x600 i only get around 23 fps.

I'm not about to start a 'matrox slanging match' but i expected a bit more...
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I think that the modem thingy is common to all USB modems...

come to think of it, my entire 98 install looks a bit dodgey... I'll try a couple of fixs, then i'm off back to 2K.

Comment

talk about thinking out loudly!!!!

Comment

There are some fixes from Microsoft for 98XX specifically for USB modems. If you hit www.usrobotics.com, and do a search for drivres for modems, analog, voice, look at the latest for the 5605000, you should see it mention the Microsoft updates.

Could help.

Guyv
          Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
          - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
          - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
          - 6.1 Digital Audio
          - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
          - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
          - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
          - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
          - LS120 IDE Floppy
          - Zip 100 IDE
          - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
          - NEC FE950
          - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Those fixes are for Win98SE, WinME, and W2K, not for Win98 (FE). I've been using the USR 5605 through USB for almost a year and a half on Win98 without any problems.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Paddy, you should be getting alot better frame rates than that. I only have a iCelery466 (at 466 despite my sig) and I get 30 or so. Your TBird is more than twice as fast, so what gives?

------------------
              AsusP3B-F ,iCeleron525(7x75),on Slotket 128megs PC133, G40032megSH, Diamond MX300, 13.5gigs of HD's, 52X CDrom WinME PD 5.52,Altec Lansing ATP3 Subwoofer system,Envision 17incher,1 grey cat, 1 black cat and 1 calico
              AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Xortam is right, almost, the fixes are just for 98SE only... Not ME, or 2K.

Here's the link
                http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/modem...242004USA8.exe

The firmware updates was for maximum compatibility with all the OSes.
                Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                - 6.1 Digital Audio
                - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                - LS120 IDE Floppy
                - Zip 100 IDE
                - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                - NEC FE950
                - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Grrrr ... Guyver's not quite right. The firmware update is for Win98SE, WinME, and W2K, not for Win98 (FE) ... as I said. The Microsoft End User WDM Modem and USB Modem Kit is for WinSE only as WinME and W2K apparently already ship with updated drivers. I decided to test Guyver's claim that this updated firmware was for all OSes and was unable to locate a compatible driver for Win98. USB to serial cable swap, flash, back to USB, search for drivers, nada. Had to revert to previous Win98 pack. My firware is 4.9.2 from 11/17/98 while the newer Window's firmware version is 4.10.174 from 2/23/99. The Internet update wizard also confirmed that I was up to date.
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

just veering off topic for a moment, congrats xortam for passing the 1000 posts barrier.

Comment

Odd on the Frame Rates Paddy, I'm gettign timedemos of about 50 at 800x600 in full 32bit. although my detail slider isn't at full I"ve just realised.......I"ll try again tonite and update with real no.s

Does your kick-ass cooling and case mean that you can actually close your case and have the machine stable?

Within 10 mins of closing my case the internal temp shot up to 50 degrees (from about 30 at rest) and the processor ate the windows registry. Ah well, a closed case looks so very normal 8-)

Uberlad

------------------
                      -------------------------
                      8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
                      5 out of 10 referred to me by name.
                      -------------------------
                      8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
                      5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

er.. sorry i am running 2K now.

I have only got one 80mm fan on (directly behind the CPU) and the temp is about 47'C.

At what temp will i hit problems?

Yeh, the frame rate is a bit pants...

I will check out the modem update - thanks

Comment

I've always noticed this with my old Winmodems, but not with regular hardware modems (I also have a USR Courier). I happen to have a USR Voice Faxmodem Pro USB lying around, perhaps I can plug it back in and see if the hanging effect is there.

Comment

Thanks ayoub_ibrahim ... I hadn't even noticed that I was approaching the millenium mark. My addictive personality has gotten the better of me again.

Back on topic ... Liquid Snake, that's the same modem that I was talking about (5605, a.k.a. 3Com USR 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro). Never tried mp3s though (w/ or w/o modem).

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 15 November 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                            X