No announcement yet.

Microsoft Security Bulletin (MS00-075)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Security Bulletin (MS00-075)

Don't recall this being posted here so I thought I'd alert Windows users to Microsoft's latest blunder in their approach to Java. Read the bulletin and the FAQ and patch if needed. Luckily, my JVM version was safe. I've got things pretty battened down as far as security settings (no JIT, Java console, High Security JVM, restricted zone OE etc.) but its tough to surf anywhere without scripting and sometimes ActiveX controls enabled. Remember, practice safe surfing.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

xortam,thanks for the info. I wonder why they stress that update can't be uninstalled,after all one would only update for "security" reasons. bugs in the patch?????

Comment

Why spend the time developing an uninstaller? Microsoft seems to think its a good practice for users to reinstall their OS on a weekly basis; a friend was actually told this by a Microsoft TSE. I've managed to run on the same install for 17 months. It seems a lot of Microsoft updates don't support uninstalling (e.g. DirectX): That just stresses the importance of backups in case you need to reinstall.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

17 months?! Are you sure that you didn't mistype 17 weeks?

If I let my w9x install drag on for more than 3 months, things just start grinding slower and slower. Most notably, the bootup speed seems to take forever. On a clean reinstall of w9x, I can get it to bootup in just under 35 seconds with everything installed.

Comment

Well, I had my previous computer running fine on Win95a for 24 months. I didn't notice it get any slower as time went on, though it did seem to give me a few more problems with Netscape...

When you reinstall Windows (right now I am on Win98 - no SE), what all does this entail? I've got windows on my drive's first partition, C:, then all my games and other files on D:. If I reinstalled Windows, would this have any effect on the operation of the games or other applications not residing on C: ? I guess I am just thinking that every time you install a new piece of hardware or software especially, it's modifies your Windows files to recognize and optimize them. And that if you reinstall Windows, how does it know what software you have?

Just rambling,

Aaron

Comment

The W95a on my work system was installed about 5 years ago, still going strong

Comment

I was afraid I was going to sidetrack this thread when I posted my last install date. We MURCers have such short attention spans.

Comment

quoted from xortam : "We MURCers have such short attention spans".
                isn't that because we're constantly guessing or speculating on when the G800 will arrive!

Comment

Working...
                X