Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to fix my new old computer and I really need some help here....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to fix my new old computer and I really need some help here....

Ok, my cousin got a new computer, so he gave me his old one but it doesn't work to well.

It randomly crashes and or restarts (among other things which I could ACTUALLY fix )....

I was trying to get his modem to work so I could post IRQ's and stuff (which look ok to me but what do I know), but it doesn't recognize the com port which his modem is using (COM 4). I'm sure this is relatively simple thing to do, but help me out so I can get to the good stuff with you guys ....

All I know about the modem is that it is an ISA card which has 1 set of jumpers (for determining if it is PNP or non-PNP). Right now it is set for PNP. It shows up in IRQ 5 and doesn't seem to have any problems (other than that it isn't recognized when I try to dial up...).

Thanks for your help!

Dimitri
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

1) Set the modem to NON PNP
    2) Enter BIOS, turn off ALL COM Ports
    3) Boot in safe mode, remove all COM Ports
    4) Reboot in normal mode, autodetect ports if not found during boot up process.
    5) You will now have one COM port installed in windows, check its properties, and if it's either COM1/COM3, in the BIOS set the first COM port to COM2/COM4 (or vice versa)
    6) Redetect this COM port in windows
    7) Run the Add new modem wizard.

All now should be done!

Good luck!

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Don't rule out flaky RAM. Especially if it's an older computer.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

What SteveC said, plus when your in the bios, you may have to set one of the PCI/PNP ISA exclusions at the correct IRQ to "yes" not "no/ICU" I had this exact problem with my (non-pnp) modem. Your bios may be slightly different, but I had to set this. I set IRQ 3 to ISA and then and only then will it be found as a com port. Once windows finds the com port then you can set up the modem. Best of luck. Also, a complete fdisk,format and reinstall of OS is best in these cases. But make sure u have working DOS CDrom drivers!

------------------
        AsusP3B-F ,iCeleron525(7x75),on Slotket 128megs PC133, G40032megSH, Diamond MX300, 13.5gigs of HD's, 52X CDrom 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 6.04,Altec Lansing ATP3 Subwoofer system,Envision 17incher,1 grey cat, 1 black cat and 1 calico
        AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Thanks guys! I will try this as soon as my head stops spinning....

Ummm, do I have to delete the modem from windows before I do all this? Because I don't know what kind of modem it is to reinstall drivers for it.... For this reason (along with others), I cannot format the drive so I will need help fixing the other stuff (if there is anything else to fix) as soon as I get the modem running....

Thanks again!

Dimitri
          "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
          --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

What does it call the modem in device manager?

Find the driver files in Driver Details and save them, along with the video drivers (if necessary) and any other devices

Comment

also u can check ur modem brand name at www.56k.com .. u can search with the fcc no. on it's back to find which company is it and get drivers for it.
              GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

Ok, help a dumb ass out guys.

I tried to do what SteveC said, but I couldn't. There is NOTHING in my bios about COM ports ANYWHERE! So I tried doing the rest of everything mentioned and ended up installing the modem on COM 2, but that didn't work either....

Sorry, can't help bein dumb....

What else should I do or what have I done wrong?

Thanks guys.

Dimitri
                --- Albert Einstein

Comment

I guess we need more info on the system, such as mb type, bios and ver, etc.

------------------
                  AsusP3B-F ,iCeleron525(7x75),on Slotket 128megs PC133, G40032megSH, Diamond MX300, 13.5gigs of HD's, 52X CDrom 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 6.04,Altec Lansing ATP3 Subwoofer system,Envision 17incher,1 grey cat, 1 black cat and 1 calico

Comment

Ok, here ya go. From what I can tell, it is a P2 450 with a ... hmmmm, I'm looking at it now and the only distinctive markings I see is "PT-61BP rev. 1.4" Does that help at all? He's got some generic PC100 ram (128mb), an ATI RAGE 128, and aside from the random modem (which is a - sorry, I bookmarked the page in win98 and I'm running 2k now, I'll get back to you on modem brand in a bit...) what looks like a Diamond International sound card.

Lemme know if you need more info please.

Thank you for your help.

Dimitri
                    --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Motherboard type? Brand name hopefully.

Comment

Ok, again I'm looking at the motherboard as I type this and don't see anything about who makes it.... I fount the PT number is 9902032103, it has an AWARD bios sticker on it and another sticker (I'm not sure what) which reads, LD926IBP19 with a QT1 and a QP1 stamped on it. I'm sorry, but that is all I can find. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places, but I've taken the thing out of the case and looked front, back, and inside out and can't find anything....

Thank you for your help in this mess....

Dimitri
                        --- Albert Einstein

Comment

go in the BIOS to the "integrated pheripheals" section, and there should be 2 entries for "Serial Port 1" and "Serial Port 2" (or COM1 and COM2). The entries by default have their resources set to something like 2F8 or 3E8. Change that to "disabled" on both, but only if there are no devices connected to the serial ports on that pc. If there are, try disabling only com2.

Good luck!

Comment

Ok, screw the modem. I won't bother as there's really no need. I'll just stick in a nic and hook it up to my main system when I get that one back up again.

So here's the deal. It still (my cousin's pc) crashes randomly. I have taken out everything except the sound card which I've disabled (still crashes). I've reinstalled drivers for the video card (ATI Rage128). I've replaced the ram with mine which I KNOW works just fine. The IRQ's look just fine. I don't know what else to do....

What seems to happen when I try to play games (this seems the only time when it crashes) is that the game will load and right before it starts doing something productive, the monitor will go black and it stays that way. CAD doesn't work, neither does alt f4 or alt tab or anything else. The light on my monitor turns from green to orange (ya know, like when you leave it on in power savings mode or something like that). The only thing I can do is turn it off and then on again (I don't currently have a reset botton on it - but I don't know that it would work to begin with...).

It has a 44x cd-rom which occassionally won't read my burned cd's (from my main system) or any cd for that matter. I think it is one of the older 44x's and am wondering if that or the power supply (230W generic) could be part of the problem?

Please give me some suggestions if you can.

Thank you.

Dimitri
                            --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                            X