Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABIT-BE6 II V.1.2 ATA/66 ?

Hello, folks!
    I have BE-6 II version 1.2 with HPT 370 ATA/66 controller. Problem is that whenever I attach hard drives to ATA/66, it becomes a slave under FDISK. It cannot be C: at all.

Also, I thought about replacing all the harddrives to ATA/66, and I tried with my ATA/66 drives only.

Result? Windows2000 cannot be installed at all!

Does anybody have any insight on this problem? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.
    OCP Certified Oracle 8i DBA.

Epox K8HA+ w/ AMD Athlon XP 1700+, 512 MB SamSung DDR 2100, 2 X IBM 40G 7200 rpm HD, Soundblaster Live! Audigy MP3+, Matrox Parhelia-512 128MB, Pioneer 16X DVD-ROM, Plextor 16X10X40 CD-RW, SamSung 900NF monitor, Lian-Li Aluminum PC Case.

1. In order to use the HPT controller in Win2k, you will need the drivers on a disk, and during the first part of the Win2k setup you hit F6 and point it at the disk.

2. You can (I think) set the boot options to A,EXT,C instead of A,C,EXT - then set the next option (EXT means) to Ultra66. This will allow the Ultra66 drive to be master.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

"First Boot Device" should be either Floppy or UDMA66
      "Second Boot Device" should be UDMA66 or CDROM
      "Third Boot Device" can be anything

When you install W2K (as Gurm said) hit F6 when the install program asks if you have any SCSI device drivers to load. When it asks for a driver, give it a Floppy with your HPT66 driver. It will ask for your disc again when loading drivers.

Is this what you did?

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 04 November 2000).]

Comment

My problem is before getting to that point.

First, I bood with Floppy to setup WinME. Then, I do fdisk.
        In fdisk, problem is that the C: drive is always the HDD0. I can't really go anywhere from here. I don't want WinME on UDMA/33 like everyone.
        Is there any way to set WinME up on Ultra66 drive?

Thanks for the info!!!! I really appreciate it!!!

Epox K8HA+ w/ AMD Athlon XP 1700+, 512 MB SamSung DDR 2100, 2 X IBM 40G 7200 rpm HD, Soundblaster Live! Audigy MP3+, Matrox Parhelia-512 128MB, Pioneer 16X DVD-ROM, Plextor 16X10X40 CD-RW, SamSung 900NF monitor, Lian-Li Aluminum PC Case.

Comment

If you make a primary partition on the Ultra66 drive and set it to active and then boot again, that should do it.

The "problem" is, that you've got no partitions on the Ultra66 drive, and at boot the active partition on your Ultra33 gets "enumerated"? as C:, hence it's the first drive.
          P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
          Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Only one drive can be made active at a time. Best to remove your old c:, boot from floppy (or CD), then make your new drive active. Format (Fat32) and install Win2k. Reconnect your old HD. Now just setup a dual boot config to the system and your set.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Ah yes, good old fdisk.
              I can't even remember if the Ultra66 will get the C:, if it isn't sys'ed.
              The BE6 is abit annoying that way.
              P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
              Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Thanks for all your advices!

Anyways, I sort of succeeded in this way:
                1. disable IDE controllers and enable only UDMA/66.
                2. Now, I can see my C: drive in fdisk.
                3. install WinME.
                4. install Win2000
                5. enable IDE controllers.

Now, it is up and running, and it feels nice to finally use UDMA/66!

By the way, I saw a post on Abit newsgroup, that you can get raid capability by flashing newer BIOS for BE-6 II Version 2.0 onto Version 1.2 board. Is this true? Has anyone tried this?

If it is possible, it interests me a lot.

Comment

Working...
                X