DVD Drive Recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Drive Recommendation?

Ok, I've finally given up resisting the lure of a DVD drive and I'm going to get one. The question is, which to get? Right now I'm considering a Pioneer DVD-115 or a DVD-105S. The only difference between them as near as I can tell is that one is slot load and the other is tray.

What I want to know is, does anyone have any comments for or against these drives or a recommendation for another brand/drive?

Thanks a lot all!

(oh yeah, this is IDE obviously, much as I wish I could afford SCSI there is no chance of that right now)

Ian
    Primary System:
    MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
    120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
    Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
    Seccondary System:
    Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
    3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
    Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
    Tertiary system
    Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
    Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Personaly I think Pioneer should have stayed in the car audi buisness! If I were you I would buy a Toshiba 12x drive!

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Pioneer's DVD drives are excellent drives! I can also recommend Toshiba, but would rather have a Pioneer slot drive.

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

I've had a Pioneer 104s for ages and never had a problem with it, the slot format is handy if you have several CD-ROM type devices, no tray to get in the way when moving CDs around.

Comment

I do not believe that these two Pioneer companies are the same.

I have the 104, and it's very nice. I bought mine re-branded from http://www.hi-val.com

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The slot-loader version also has digital cd-out, if you're in to that sort of thing.
            P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
            Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

funny you should ask! I just picked up a Toshiba 12x this week

It runs very quiet, watched "Soldier" starring Kurt Russell last night through my g400 and it looked and sounded amazing! (this was on my tv)

It is region locked but that doesn't affect me

It cost me $140 brown box
              jim

------------------
              P3-700e @ 1052! Check it here!
              Abit BE6-2
              TwinMos 256mb pc-133
              G400 32mb DH
              Maxtor 15.3gb 7,200rpm
              SB Live!
              Toshiba 12x DVD
              Iomega 650cd burner
              Winblows 98se & DX7
              and 384k DSL!

[This message has been edited by DuRaNgO (edited 17 October 2000).]
              System 1:
              AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
              Epox 8K7A
              2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
              an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
              SBLIVE 5.1
              Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
              IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
              Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
              3Com Hardware Modem
              Teac 20/10/40 burner
              Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Pioneer, Pioneer, Pioneer, Pioneer......did I mention you should buy a Pioneer??
                I own the 32x/6x SCSI slot loader, lovely bit of kit.
                I'm considering upgrading to the 40x/16x SCSI slot loader for the digital output (something they didn't put on my model)
                Once you own a slot-loader you'll never want to go back to the all too common 'tray'
                It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
                Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

I'm going to kill them all, sir.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Toshiba Toshiba Toshiba Toshiba Toshiba Toshiba Toshiba Toshiba can I say Toshiba
                    These DVDs read almost anything. Going to pick up one of those next month for $99 from www.mwave.com .
                    Call me old fashioned but I don't like slot loaded drives. The convenience factor may work for some though. I plan to put it in the 4th or 5th 5.25" slot on my Q500 case so it shouldn't be too close to the Plextor burner in the 1st slot
                    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Wombat it is the same Pioneer, excellent company I might add.
                      I decided to get the DVD when I played a movie at work in a large room on a 19" monitor and my system (pre SB Live XGamer 5.1 i.e. with SB Live XGamer). I realized I was not tapping the potential of the speakers as they sounded awesome. I got jealous and decided then and there that I just had to be watching DVDs at home on my system. BTW at 700 MHz the picture was awesome without decoder on the G400 (powerDVD 2.55)

------------------
                      1° System
                      Inwin Q500 Case
                      Abit KT7 Motherboard
                      AMD Duron 700@850 MHz.
                      128 MB Micron PC100 Cas 2 PC100 SDRAM.
                      Maxtor 20 GB 5400 RPM UATA 66 HD
                      Quantum Fireball 4.3 GB UATA 33 HD
                      Plextor PX-W8432 burner
                      Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! X-Gamer 5.1
                      Matrox G400 DH 32MB
                      Mag Innovision DX17T
                      Klipsch ProMedia v2.400 Speakers (yeah baby)
                      ATI TV Wonder*sigh*
                      Realtek 8039AS based 10Mbps NIC
                      Running Win98SE, Win2K SP1, BeOS 5.03 and Mandrake Linux 7.1(xfree 4.0)

2° System
                      Generic Finger Slicer AT Case
                      FIC VA503+
                      IBM Cyrix PR 266 *brrr* (long story)
                      128 MB Generic PC100 SDRAM
                      Maxtor 10 GB 7200 PRM UDMA33 HD
                      Creative Labs Ensonic AudioPCI64 (es1371)
                      Matrox Millennium G200 AGP
                      Realtek 8019 ISA NIC
                      Win98 2222A
                      Win2k Pro SP1

3° System

PCChips M571
                      Intel Pentium MMX 233
                      128 MB EDO DRAM (SIMMS)
                      IBM 10 GB HD
                      Diamond Stealth S3 trio 64
                      Realtek 8019 ISA NIC
                      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I'm going to also say PIONEER!!!! I just had a horrible experience with the toshiba SCSI 10X, I found it slow, incopmpatible with copy protection and it refused to play DVD's.

It was also region locked, and screwed up WinMil (although I admit that might have been me/M$ )

The pioneer however rocked serious bells, only got rid of it to go SCSI.

Paulr - I would be VERY interested in taking that off your hands should you decide to upgrade, my current seacrh for one is coming up with zip and I love that drive 8-)

Uberlad

------------------
                        -------------------------
                        8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
                        5 out of 10 referred to me by name.
                        -------------------------
                        8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
                        5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

I use a Pioneer S303 (SCSI), which was the latest built that is region free ...

Didn't have any probs and grabbing from Audio CDs is done in ~15-20x speed.

I recommend to have a look over here http://www.7thzone.com/, as this site offers all you wanna know and amongst other topics, that includes all pros & cons for hard- and software.

Cheers,
                          Maggi
                          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                          LG BH10LS38
                          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Now I'm going to contradict everyone in here, but:

Drives NOT to get:
                            - Panasonic

Drives I recommend if you intend to NOT have a CD-Rom also:
                            - Hitachi (quiet, fast, did I say quiet?)
                            - Toshiba (reads ALL copy protection with CloneCD when making copies)

Drives I recommend if you intend to have a separate CD-Rom:
                            - Pioneer

Gurm

P.S. Why can't you afford SCSI? A SCSI controller is $50 nowadays, and a SCSI DVD drive is no more expensive than an IDE, and can even be cheaper if you get last year's model (and let's be honest who cares about the difference between 32x and 40x max?)

------------------
                            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.

[This message has been edited by Gurm (edited 18 October 2000).]
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Why can't you afford SCSI? A SCSI controller is $50 nowadays, and a SCSI DVD drive is no more expensive than an IDE, and can even be cheaper if you get last year's model (and let's be honest who cares about the difference between 32x and 40x max?)

Gurm I would agree with you completely that the difference 'tween 32x and 40x makes very little practicle difference. The real concern for me is the SCSI controller. Someday I hope to go be able to go all out and go SCSI all the way, but if I get a SCSI controller now, I don't want to skimp on a 50$ controller. I want to get an Adaptec 29160 controller, which is significantly more than 50$. The other peice of this is that while 50$ may not be the "straw that broke the camels back", it may be the straw that makes it so that Ian can't uprade to a Dual CPU Athlon later this year, and we wouldn't want that now would we.

Denty, Mwave is a great store. Thats where I buy most of my stuff and where I was planning on buying from this time as well.

I also have to admit that the 'slot-load' is rather enticing just for the fun of it.

So, I do plan on keeping my CDROM drive in my system as well, the primary purpose of getting this drive is so that I can start building an anime DVD collection and actually have someplace to watch them.

So, I think the general consensus here is to get a Pioneer drive if the primary use is DVD's and not CD's. So, I do believe that I'll be ordering the Pioneer DVD-105S.

As for region locking, well, lets just say that I've already done some research and found some rather, er, 'useful' sites with interesting bits of rom code and other clever pieces of software.

Ian
                              Primary System:
                              MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                              120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                              Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                              Seccondary System:
                              Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                              3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                              Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                              Tertiary system
                              Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                              Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Working...
                              X