Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3Com 3XP chip - any good?

From www.3com.com:
    The new EtherLink® 10/100 PCI NIC with 3XP processor and encryption chip is uniquely optimized for Windows 2000, to reduce CPU utilization and enhance performance by offloading TCP/IP networking tasks from the host system to the 3XP processor. Together with the 3XP processor, the encryption chip offloads CPU intensive IPSec encryption to deliver reliable, secure connections while maximizing system performance.
    I run Win2k on my network and I do want to maximise performance - how much will this card help with throughput etc?

I've currently got 2 PCs with 3Com 905B-TX 10/100 Fast Ethernet cards but I've got 2 more machines to network. Should I buy the same again or the ones with the 3XP chip? The 3XP is approx 50% more expensive now I think - is it worth it?

Thanks,

Paul.

------------------
    Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
    Computer Solutions | Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal | Pace Central
    Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
    Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Ditto.

Comment

Ditto Ditto
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

/me thumbs his nose at all of you

but ditto too (hypocrite DentyCracker has never had problems with his Realteks, but has seen them behave verrrry strangely in other people's machines)
        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

ditto Denty

My 8139's work fine
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

They've got Desktop and Server versions though - so is the Desktop version better for me than the 3C905? I will also be running Win2K AdvServer with lots of filesharing (MP3s ) so would a Server version be worth it here?

Paul.
            Meet Jasmine.

Comment

3-Com cards are already not using much CPU-time at all... they do a lot of stuff in hardware. This new 3XP thing probably is more meant for use in servers that must establish a lot of secure connections (online payments?). I don't think you will see much dufference in a home system, if any.

3c905b-tx or 3c905c-tx are great cards: I own three of them, and they all work perfecly.

Whatever you do, avoid picking up a card with a Realtek chip in it.

Comment

you seem to be determined to buy a card based on the new chip anyway, so why ask us?

I think you will waste your money on something you won't use. Just go for the 905 series, which already is supported in almost every OS on earth by default.

Comment

Yes, it is a little better? Is it worth the extra cost and diminishing support? Not to me. Stick with the 905, it's still a great chip.

Rags

Comment

The 3XP processor is designed for 2 things:

1) Servers.

2) Psycho computer phreaks who wants every single ounce of processing power dedicated making their games run faster.

So if your computer is dedicated to one of these tasks, look into a 3XP based NIC.

I do know someone who uses one and he likes it very much. Haven't tested network performance with it, but he says it runs very smooth on his cable modem connection.

Jammrock
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Jam, lest not forget Seti freaks too!
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Screw you all, my generic DEC Tulip 21140 and I are doing just great.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus:
                          3-Com cards are already not using much CPU-time at all... they do a lot of stuff in hardware. This new 3XP thing probably is more meant for use in servers that must establish a lot of secure connections (online payments?). I don't think you will see much dufference in a home system, if any.

3c905b-tx or 3c905c-tx are great cards: I own three of them, and they all work perfecly.

Whatever you do, avoid picking up a card with a Realtek chip in it.
                          Originally posted by dZeus:
                          you seem to be determined to buy a card based on the new chip anyway, so why ask us?

I think you will waste your money on something you won't use. Just go for the 905 series, which already is supported in almost every OS on earth by default.
                          I don't think I did seem determined - you mentioned that it's probably meant for servers so I was just checking about the Desktop version. The stuff I will be doing will be CPU intensive (possibly streaming video ) so I looked into this. The security aspect is unimportant. I am however slightly disappointed with my network throughput despite having a 16port 100Mb TX hub.

I'm also setting up a network at my work so I might get a better hub for them - is buying 3Com hubs over generics the same situation as with the NICs?

My supplier lists these prices:
                          3CR990-TX-97 PCI £65
                          3C905BTX-NM PCI RP £55
                          3C905BTX-NM PCI OEM £42

It's only £10 more when comparing retail products (well I think the 990 is RP) but I think I'll go with another couple of OEMs. However, I might still stick the fancy one's in my machine and the server - always handy at LAN games

Paul.
                          Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Well, you have a hub. If you're going to upgrade, get a switch if the network is busy. Make sure your cable is high-quality, too.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I wouldn't expect to see any performance difference between a generic hub and a 3Com. As Wombat say's, to get a performance increase dump the hub and get a switch. Something like a NetGear or SMC would do, I wouldn't pay the extra for a 3Com.
                              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X