SB Live! 5.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SB Live! 5.1

Is there a physical difference between the oem and the platinum cards 5.1 cards?

I cant afford to get the platinum right now, and if the only difference is the Live! Drive, well i can pick that up later...

Any clues?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Software will likely be one are where they cut back. Don't know about the Live!Drive

Paul.

------------------
    Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
    Computer Solutions | Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal | Pace Central
    Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
    Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Would having a soundcard with an onboard processor improve my DVD playback?
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Au contraire.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

The Dolby Digital decoding that the 5.1 does is by software AFAIK. Should get my DVD next week, along with two 128 MB sticks of PC133 SDRAM (or hopefully this week, damn Hallowe'en)and see if I can tell the difference.

PS All the 5.1 cards are the same with the likely exception of the Value 5.1 (if it even exists) Software bundle is the difference and yes, software is always "obtainable"
          ------------------
          1° System
          Inwin Q500 Case
          Abit KT7 Motherboard
          AMD Duron 700@850 MHz.
          128 MB Micron PC100 Cas 2 PC100 SDRAM.
          Maxtor 20 GB 5400 RPM UATA 66 HD
          Quantum Fireball 4.3 GB UATA 33 HD
          Plextor PX-W8432 burner
          Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! X-Gamer 5.1
          Matrox G400 DH 32MB
          Mag Innovision DX17T
          Klipsch ProMedia v2.400 Speakers (yeah baby)
          ATI TV Wonder*sigh*
          Realtek 8039AS based 10Mbps NIC
          Running Win98SE, Win2K SP1, BeOS 5.03,QNX RTOS Free and Mandrake Linux 7.1(xfree 4.0)

2° System
          Generic Finger Slicer AT Case
          FIC VA503+
          IBM Cyrix PR 266 *brrr* (long story)
          128 MB Generic PC100 SDRAM
          Maxtor 10 GB 7200 PRM UDMA33 HD
          Creative Labs Ensonic AudioPCI64 (es1371)
          Matrox Millennium G200 AGP
          Realtek 8019 ISA NIC
          Win98 2222A
          Win2k Pro SP1

3° System

PCChips M571
          Intel Pentium MMX 233
          128 MB EDO DRAM (SIMMS)
          IBM 10 GB HD
          Diamond Stealth S3 trio 64
          Realtek 8019 ISA NIC

[This message has been edited by DentyCracker (edited 29 October 2000).]
          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Software is always *obtainable*

Comment

So there will be no difference on the outputs of the OEM card?

If there are, will the Live! Drive add them all?

Comment

Anyone care to send me a scan of a SB Live! Platinum. If you would at 300dpi (16bit) componet side only and send it to greebe2@home.com I'd really appreciate it.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah - someone please do that for Greebe!!

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Yes, there can be a physical difference between the retail, retail value, and value OEM cards.

For example, I have a regular SB Live! and so does my friend. Mine has the S/PDIF input on the card for digital in from a CDROM. His, does not. We both went to the same computer show and we both bought the "same" cards.

I was specifically looking for the digital in and he did not care so I looked around at other vendors for about an hour before I found the one I wanted. It was $5 more, though. I ended up acquiring a retail SB Live! value and he ended up with an OEM SB Live! value. Also, my card can take a Live Drive or the digital/midi interface card while his has a modified connector that can not accept midi.

I would strongly suggest looking at the card if at all possible and inspecting it for the features you want before you buy. The online price may seem cheaper but after you throw in shipping and handling it costs almost the same when you factor in the uncertainty.

Giving you scanned pics might help, but, all the connectors are clearly labled. AND, most importantly, the person on the other side of the phone probably will not know there is a difference or know what to look for or may not have access to the cards them selves.
                    Abit BF6 w/ 366A @ 566
                    400W PS
                    Twin 17" Trinitron's
                    256 ECC
                    G400 and RRG
                    Promise Ultra100
                    :13g Maxtor
                    :6g Maxtor
                    :Pioneer 104S DVD-ROM
                    :HP8100i Burner
                    Promise FastTrak66
                    :2x20g Quantum Fireball LM
                    :RAID 0
                    USB ZIP 100
                    DLINK 10/100 NIC
                    SB Live! 1024

Comment

Crazybee, just scan the pics, I'll do the modifing
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Sorry, I have no pics handy and my camera crapped out. I'll try with my USB cam. It will be kinda hard since both cards are in comps right now.

Plus, you can not simply "reconnect" the S/PDIF. There are other components missing as well such as the interface circuitry as well.

Just look at the card pics or .PDF from Creatives web site and examine the ones at the show. All the connections are labled.
                        Abit BF6 w/ 366A @ 566
                        400W PS
                        Twin 17" Trinitron's
                        256 ECC
                        G400 and RRG
                        Promise Ultra100
                        :13g Maxtor
                        :6g Maxtor
                        :Pioneer 104S DVD-ROM
                        :HP8100i Burner
                        Promise FastTrak66
                        :2x20g Quantum Fireball LM
                        :RAID 0
                        USB ZIP 100
                        DLINK 10/100 NIC
                        SB Live! 1024

Comment

The X-Gamer and the MP3+ are identical and are identical to the platinum. They can be upgraded with the Live! Drive IR. Get the model # of the OEM the X-Gamer 5.1 is SB-0060
                          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Cheers lads,

I'll want to buy the live drive later so i need them to be compatible. I also need an optical in/out for my minidisc player

Comment

Working...
                            X