Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WooWhoo!! 90 Gig striped array! Settings sugestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WooWhoo!! 90 Gig striped array! Settings sugestions?

Ok, so I ordered my BE6-2 V2 and low and behold the UDMA/100 controler is a raid controler.
    Well, I had just bought an IBM 45 Gig Drive, So I ordered another one.
    (If Matrox doesn't com out with the G800 soon there's no telling what extra stuff I'll wind up with )

I noticed there is a setting for Block Size in the RAID setup. It defaults to 64. What is it? Should I change it?

I'm formatting now, so if I need to change something it would be best if I did it befor I put on the Ghost image.

At 90 Gigs I've got plenty of time to kill while it formats
    chuck

Updated sig in progress........
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Stripe size should be set according to your application. If you want to use the array to store streaming content, you're best off by setting it to a large block size. If you're loading your OS and apps off of it, you're better off with a small block size. You could try experimenting with a basic setup and running some benchmarks before committing to a configuration. Some controllers support multiple arrays which give you some flexibility on where you place your files yet adding drives to an existing array will yield the optimum throughput.

P.S. You have to set the stripe size before you format. You'll also need to reestablish the array and reformat if you're later adding to the stripe set. Better be sure of your configuration before you commit yourself.

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 27 October 2000).]
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Thanks XOR,
      I desided to set it to the FAT32 allocation block size for this size drive -> 32k
      Also, I set the drives up as masters on separate channels. I wonder if that makes any difference?
      I'll do some testing befor I reuse the drive I have my image on.

Chuck

[This message has been edited by cjolley (edited 27 October 2000).]
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Little question though, Chuck. What OS are you running? If a Win9x or ME environment, I don't think you can run a striped RAID. As far as I know you need NT4 or Win2k for it.

Also, a striped FAT32? If you're running Win2k, why not format your RAID NTFS?
        [edit] You HAVE to use NTFS for a striped RAID. See my post below. [/end edit]

Third, if you want to run stripe-5 (or RAID-5), you need at least 3 drives (and up to 32 drives ) of the same format (NTFS and same size) to get it to work. If you plan on normal stripe, be sure you make backups a lot. For if one of your drives fails, you will loose ALL of your data!!

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 28 October 2000).]
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

More info on:

RAID

Note RAID is not available on Microsoft Windows® 95/98.
          Understanding and Implementing RAID

Comparing Different Implementations of RAID Levels

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jorden, RAID arrays are supported under Win9x/Me with Promise's controller in either a RAID level 1, 5 or both.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah RAID is not supported NATIVELYon Win9x at the OS level. Win2k and linux do it natively (built in to OS) but it can be set up under 9x
              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Jord,

NT and 2K provide for SOFTWARE Raid. That is, you don't need a separate controller - you can simply use the two IDE controllers already in most machines. The card controllers are HARDWARE Raid and can be used in any machine with its accompanying software.

RAB
                AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Oh no Jorden!!! Nobody told me I couldn't run RAID on Win98. I've been running Win98 on a RAID 0 array for the last year and a half without a problem. Now I have to start over again.

As you may have figured out by now, RAID can be implemented at the OS level or in hardware/firmware. The hardware implementation (which Chuck and I have) delivers higher performance then the software version and also has the added advantage of being transparent to the OS. You don't format RAID for a specific FS as the FS and OS et.al. just see the array as a single physical drive. That's why I mentioned that you have to establish the array first before you format the drive (and even before you partition the drive). HW RAID is transparent to SW.
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

My BE6-II V2 uses the HighPoint controler.
                    Yup, all hardware. Even works with dos & boots off the raid set.

I think that the stripe setting is per-drive so I dropped to to 16k.
                    Did I mention that Ghost is wonderful?

I suspect the raid is working

chuck

Still workiing on that sig

[This message has been edited by cjolley (edited 28 October 2000).]

[This message has been edited by cjolley (edited 28 October 2000).]
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Guess I learned something as well
                      Though it could've been said a little less harsh, guys

Wonder who knows all and everything from the top of his head and can explain it.

Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hey Jorden,
                        You're info was helpful and lead me to some good stuff.
                        I didn't say what OS I was using.
                        Thanks,
                        Chuck
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

It's best to keep one's mouth shut and let everyone think you're stupid rather than open it and remove all doubt

Comment

Sorry Jord if I sounded harsh. You sounded a bit confused and I know how that can be. Going through the MCSE classes packs a lot of information into your head in a very short time and sometimes it can get very confusing. Sometimes they tell you something in class that doesn't quite match what you though you knew. Other times the teacher is wrong or doesn't explain something clearly. It can be terribly confusing at times.

Next time I will try to remember to add some smilies because I know how hard you are trying to figure it all out.

RAB
                            AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

I hope I didn't come off as being harsh. Wasn't trying to.
                              [rant] That being said I've just finished reformatting and reinstalling 3 OSes on my 20 GB Maxtor. Was playing around in Linux yesterday afternoon and fuXx0r3d it properly plus made some bad decisions in trying to take the easy way out to get win98 back working after getting win2k back. Lost quite a bit of stuff but no important documents, whew [/rant].
                              I think I'm going to get the Abit KT7 RAID and sell this KT7 to my elder brother. Just $148 at mwave (less than I got the KT7 for)
                              Try not to end a sentence with a preposition somtime
                              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
                              X