X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD-RAM for real..

I know what I want for Xmas

I want the Panasonic DVD-RAM

Gone are the days of a maximum 2.5Gb DVD burning. This one burns up to 9.4Gb discs.
    And that at 22Mb/s ...

I know what I want for Xmas

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Or this http://192.216.185.10/mwave/ProdMM-CD-TOS.hmx ?UID=&CID=&updepts=MM-CD&DNAME=%3Cb%3ECD+ROM%2FDVD%3C%2Fb%3E&back=ProdM M-CD-TOS.hmx? but don't think it does 9.4 GB though.
    under 4 min to write an entire DVD, pretty good that Panasonic

[This message has been edited by DentyCracker (edited 27 October 2000).]
    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Better check on media prices before you decide to buy it.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

The DVD-RAM is about 500 USD, and the 4.7Gb DS-DVDs (Double Sided, so 9.4Gb) are about 60 USD each.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hmm, at those prices I'll just buy hard drives, thanks.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Not only is it quite expensive, but the DVD-RAM media comes in a cartridge so you can't play the DVD on a consumer deck. The HT folks are looking at a tape product called OnStream (supports a multitude of interfaces). 50GB tapes for $69 each and a 3-pack for $149 (assumes 2:1 compression). The SCSI version is reported to nearly handle HDTV playback on the fly. There's a HDTV PC decoder card in Beta currently that they're considering using with this backup product.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

You can take your DVD-RAM disc out of its protective cartridge, and play it back on a PC equipped with a 4.7GB DVD-RAM drive or DVD-ROM drive that’s compatible with 4.7GB DVD-RAM.
              Versatile cross-format playback
              The DMR-E10 can playback a variety of digital formats. You’ll enjoy astounding picture and sound quality while enjoying all DVD-Video, audio CD, and video CD discs on our DVD Recorder.
              Btw, this is all about the DVD-RAM for the public without a PC... it's the TV version

Read more about that here
              That one is only $3999.95

I meant the DVD-RAM for your PC, as in the link in the first post

"he leading producer of DVD-RAM drives, Panasonic's second-generation 4.7GB single-sided and 9.4GB double-sided rewritable industry standard drives and media provide superior performance and reliability. Fully compliant with the DVD Forum's standards, the single-sided media is capable of storing a full two-hours of MPEG2 video. Panasonic's new drives and media offer unprecedented media interchangeability and seven times the capacity of CD-R and CD-RW...all for less than $.005/MB. Offered with both SCSI and ATAPI interfaces, the drive reads industry-standard DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-R, CD-ROM, CD-R/RW, CD-DA, Photo CD, and Video CD media. The random-access, drag-and-drop storage media provides in excess of 100,000 write/rewrite cycles and data life in excess of 30 year."

Nothing I said

Read it yourself here

Jord.
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

I was just relaying what I had heard about the cartridges. Good to hear that they weren't enforcing some copy protection scheme. I still think that DVD-RAM media is currently way too expensive (you can buy an pre-recorded movie DVD for much less) and it doesn't have sufficient capacity to store HDTV content.

Comment

I even have one!

Its an 'old' Toshiba SD-11, and the DVD-RAM disks come in two types. Type 1 are a cartrage style thing, and type 2 have a removable disk inside a cartrage. I cant get any type 2 disks here, but they are listed at VERY high prices.

I use 5.2Gb double sided disks, and they are cool. About the speed of a zip drive, but hold Sooooo much more.

Ive never seen a type 2 disk, but they must be out somewhere.

Ali

Comment

Working...
                  X