I hate SONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate SONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok. I just got a new sony monitor that costed me $1000. WTF are these 2 lines I'm seeing across my monitor? If anyone works at sony, can you please tell me if you guys are using recycled tubes? If you do, this just sucks.

Ciao

GinoCyber,

HAHAHAHA

This is normal. What you are seeing is the shadow cast by the horizontal damper wire used to stabilize the aperture grille featured on all Sony Trinitron picture tubes.

Currently, there are two display technologies designed to isolate individual picture elements (pixels). Together, these pixels form the image displayed on a computer's monitor. Shadow mask technology relies on an opaque sheet with small pinholes to separate pixels both horizontally and vertically. Aperture grille technology employs a series of thin, closely-spaced vertical wires to isolate pixels horizontally. The pixels are separated vertically by the nature of the scan lines used to compose the image.

There are two main advantages of the aperture grille method. The most visible is that this method allows more electrons through, resulting in a brighter image with better contrast. The second advantage is that the monitor's vertical resolution is not dependent upon, nor affected by, the vertical spacing of pinholes. A third advantage of an aperture grille is that it is much less susceptible than a shadow mask to warping caused by heat. To keep the vertical wires in an aperture grille properly aligned within the picture tube, one or two horizontal damper wires are required. A 14-inch or smaller Sony computer monitor employs one such wire. It is located about one-third of the way from the bottom of the screen. Sony computer monitors larger than 14 inches use two horizontal damper wires. These wires are located roughly one-third of the way from the top and bottom of the screen. Each wire casts a faint shadow that is visible as a light gray, horizontal line on the image. This shadow is normally not visible, but may become apparent when displaying a lightly-colored background.

I have a 200PST Sony one for 2 years now and i never notice them exept if i look for them.
    You see its nothing .
    Just think that when i use a shadow mask monitor i can see all the little holes of the matrix of the mask.Thats nearly 2000 little annoying holes not 2 lines of nothing in the Sony ones.

[This message has been edited by alessandro (edited 28 October 2000).]
    Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

Sony monitors have had those wires for a number of years. Believe it or not, you'll get used to it and won't even notice them after awhile.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Me TOO!!!!!!!! I am just about fed up with Sony's piss poor excuses on all of their goof-ups. I have a Compaq Armada E500, and the Frucking battery shorted out and ruined my laptop. The battery was made by...you guessed Sony (I shall call them Phony from now on).

I had a DVD player made by Phony, and the stupid thing wouldn't play my "The Abyss" DVD properly. I called their "Help" line, and got nothing but a bunch of lifeless yucks that didn't know the difference between a region code and a conduct code.

Then, I had a Phony CD player in my car. It was the most worthless POS I have ever used in my life. It would skip when going over the smallest of bumps.

Never again will I buy another Sony.

Casey

Comment

My lines are going across my monitor. I don't see anything going down them.

It's as if the tube is made of 3 pieces and no I can't get used to it. It sticks out like a white elephant.

To top off all off, the phone monkey at sony help desk tells me that they haven't heard of this. Maybe they clicked on the wrong faq

Anyways, I'll be taking this back and get something else.

Ciao

Comment

GinoCyber,

Try to hit gently the side of the screen some times and see if there is an improve to the image(i can see my 2 lines only on completelly white screen).
            Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x---&gt;6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

Maybe my monitor is just defective. Here's what I see. When the background is white, it isn't that bad but I still see them. When my background is any dark color, the lines are really noticeable and I can actually see the pixels all the way across.

It's like a very bad case of the jaggies going across my screen. Thanks anyway for the help but this is going back. Even if this is normal, there is no way I can work when I know that these 2 lines are there. It will just bug me each time I turn on the monitor.

Ciao

Comment

alessandro,

LOL

[This message has been edited by Himself (edited 28 October 2000).]

Comment

Well I'm glad you find this amusing. I had to work 4 hours to buy this crap and then deal with an idiot who couldn't tell me why. Even if this was normal, that dweeb could of explained it to me as to why it is normal.

Ciao

Comment

At work we drop the monitors from about three feet off the floor and the lines disapear....Problem solved.

Darth
                    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Try to harshly pound the side of the monitor with a 10 lb. sledge hammer.

Don't matter what you do, trinitron tubes SUCK. A discerning eye will never get used to a major flaw like those shadows cast by trinishits shadow mask support wires. If my 20/16 vision did not get used to them in 3 years of using a that shit Sony tube at one of my jobs, I doubt it ever will.

Take it back while you still can.
                      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I would like to take a ten pound sledge to side of their phone helpless people's heads.

Comment

That might actually knock some sense into them

Ciao

Comment

I think the Sony Tech support only speak Japanese. The one I talked to kept calling me an Ahsho.
                            So I said screw this and that's when I found out that dropping them on a hard surface fixed the problem

Paul
                            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I doubt it. The only thing these guys they hire are qualified for is asking "would you like that supersized?"

Comment

Working...
                              X