Television geometry set up...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Television geometry set up...?

I'm after a tool which will give out to my TV from the g450 a test pattern so I can set up my TV's alignment and geometry settings for both 4:3 and 16:9. I'm guessing a VOB file will be most likely, and played thru my dvd software?

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

I'm digging Steve (got one here somewhere
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition comes with some THX test pattern frills like that. I think for both 16:9 and 4:3.

Other than that, I use the Video Essentials DVD. It ain't quite what it was on laserdisc, but it is pretty good at getting your basic color, tint, contrast, brightness, etc setup OK for 4:3.

Comment

Here's CRTAT. Hopefully it'll get the job done.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Say Thundrchez, I borrowed the VE DVD and was going to tweak my RPTV with it. My buddy suggested I use it versus the LaserDisk version (which he also owns). Why/how do you think the LD version is better?
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

In Video Essentials, they did not fully get the separation between chroma and luminance done right on the DVD. It is one of my major pet peeves. When using s-video connectors, it is supposed to keep the chroma and luminance on separate signals to eliminate the "rainbow jumping out of the referee's black & white striped jersey" effect. Maybe I'm just a bit too nit-picky.

My other complaint is that they kept the original graphics about which LD chapters you can jump to, but it is completely different on the DVD.

If you are going to be watching primarily DVDs, it is probably better that you tweak your TV for the DVD player with DVD VE. If you have separate DVD and LD players, the color that they produce is slightly different.

Comment

Thanks Thundrchez. Makes sense to optimize the color temperature for the media. I currently mainly watch movies, etc. from analog satellite (BUD). I sometimes will watch movies from a Matrox G400 Max delivered PC-DVD. I rarely use my old LD (a rare dual-platter Pioneer LD-W1). The LD doesn't sport a Y/C connector (or digital audio) so the separation difference wouldn't be important. I converged off of a satellite signal the other day but the image was much better using the built-in convergence pattern (might be due to satellite test patterns being transmitted at a lower signal strength?!). I use the composite connector on my Max (versus Y/C) because a) I connect the signal to my satellite IRD (video switcher, PinP) which also doesn't have a Y/C port and b) I run the connection over a 100' RG6-QS cable since the PC and RPTV are in separate rooms. Note, I could run a second cable to the RPTV (which does have Y/C) and use S-VHS/F connector adapters.
              Probably more information than anybody was interested in but I wanted to tell my story.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

thanks guys - this VideoEssentials, is it downloadable?

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

No, Video Essentials is not a freee download. It is a DVD, and I don't think it is regionally coded. I bought my copy from
                  http://www.express.com/consumer/prod...UCTNUMBER=1291

Comment

I just checked and it turns out I didn't borrow a VE DVD, but one from Ovation Software. The testimonials on that website claim that its better than VE (the old standard). My buddy also recommended it over the VE LD. I haven't used either so I can't give my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X