Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aaaaaaaaaaaargh!

I need your help!

I am in the process of buying a CDRW, but as luck has it the company are messing me about a bit.

Unfortunately my monitor is about to explode (Compaq 151fs) The refresh rat is set as low as possible, but its only buying me time.

I am faced with the dilemma of buying a nice new CDRW or a monitor...

Unfortunately the risk of being monitorless far outweighs not having a CDRW (bugger)

I need your help guys.

Can someone recommend a brand/model that is nice and within my price range of £250.

------------
    I reallllly wanted that CDRW and it should have arrived by now - I suppose I am lucky it hasn't so I can cancel the order...
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

I could afford to spend a bit more if it were worth it...
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Look out for CTX monitors ... they offer quite good quality for a reasonable price.

I use the CTX VL710T (17") for quite some time and it was only ~£ 200 about one and a half years ago.

Until then , enter Matrox' adv. disp. prop. and choose one of the preconfigured Standard VESA monitors, for example VESA 1024@60Hz, so that you won't damage your tube until you got a new one.

Cheers,
      Maggi
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
      LG BH10LS38
      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I picked up my Samsung 19" for around £250 (inc VAT) about a year ago. I was a bit dubious about buying such a cheap (for its size) monitor, but I'm very impressed. The focus is good and the colours vibrant, with no noticeable divergance anywhere. I run at 1600x1200@75Hz.

I have 2 minor complaints about it. You get quite bad moire on a black screen at low res (below 1024). I'm not to bothered by this because I very rarely drop to that low a resolution. The second problem is that movinf the monitor seems to upset the geometry quite badly (worse than with other monitors) so if I move it around I end up fiddling the geometry settings for ages

I've found it a good value buy and in the price range your after. I can probably find a link if your interested, but it might have to wait till I get home from work.
        [EDIT: typos]

[This message has been edited by Raptor^ (edited 26 October 2000).]

Comment

Cheers,

I am running at 60Hz.

I'll look into that 19" samsung

Comment

I've checked a couple of sites, but i couldn't find anything that cheap...

Comment

I got mine from Aria

Go to their product section and search in monitors for samsung. I would post the direct link, but I think it might be too long to work

Their website doesn't have any information on it, but I just rang them up and they looked up refresh rates and dot pitch (which I can't remember) for me.

Comment

I've been using an 19in optiquest for the past year or so. It works great with my G400MAX @ 1200x960 and only ran me about $300 bucks without shipping. At my old job we used Viewsonic Montiors (which is Optiquests parent company) with G200s for our CAD machines and they looked great. I forget which Viewsonic montior is cloest to the optiquest, but the only differnce between the two was that the optiquest only has a 1 year warrenty and I think it might offer only 75hz @ 1600x1200 vs 85 on the viewsonic

Scott

------------------
                Abit BH6 with a Celeron 2-566@877mhz,256mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem,WinME on Western Digital 30GB drive
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I have been given a replacement 151fs from work (15"). Its not ideal, but it will do for now, and it means i still get my CDRW - which is arriving tomorrow btw

Cheers for the help lads, when the coffers become full again, i will get me a nice new 19".

Who says size doesn't matter...

Comment

...that's why I have a 21"...

------------------
                    Cheers,
                    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy [MU]:

Who says size doesn't matter...
                      Argh you're turning into a Renault Clio ad!

At least you're not a popup yet though

[EDIT] Whats with the double posts today... thats twice in this thread now

[This message has been edited by Raptor^ (edited 26 October 2000).]

Comment

Steve,
                        Don't brag excusively because of size!
                        I have a Gateway 21" running off of a TNT2
                        at work and the combination sucks
                        compaired to my 19" 995E + G400 at home.
                        chuck
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

well I have my Dell 21" running off a G450 32mb DDR, So THERE! Size AND Quality!

------------------
                          Cheers,
                          Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Try these people,

www.commonside.co.uk

They sell end of line or reconditioned stuff at very good prices. They have some Compaq V75 17" monitors for £85.00 and an Eizo 20" Trinitron tubed monitor for £250.00
                            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Paddy,
                              Try finding the LG Studioworks 995E.
                              19" & very nice. I run it at 1280x960@85hz
                              It can run 1600x1200@85hz
                              They are listed on pricewatch now for $264.
                              I don't know how much that would be in
                              Pounds , but this one gives a lot of bang
                              for the buck.
                              chuck
                              Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X