Windoze Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windoze Problem

I'm trying to help this guy out with his computer. He has a Compaq and it was working fine until he stuck in a NIC. Now it freezes when Win98 starts to load. It does the same thing with or without the card in. The computer will go into safe mode though. I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    TnT
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Sounds like windows tried to install the drivers when the nic was initially stuck in. Make sure the drivers are un-installed while in safe mode and try rebooting again.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I've already removed the network card from Device Manager, but I can't find the drivers for the card. It also doesn't have any associated software listed in the Add/Remove Programs. Am I looking in the right places?
      The computer also has a HSP56 Micromodem, that I really want to remove the drivers for, only problem is that it isn't my computer and I don't know where to get the new drivers for the modem.

Any more ideas?

Thanks again,
      TnT
      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

w00t! I figured it out, something wrote some sound stuff into the autoexec.bat. So I commented the line out, and now the computer works fine. He's putting in the NIC now, so we'll see how that goes.

Comment

atleast I had the right idea just with the wrong piece of hardware Glad to hear you got it working.

dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

BTW, with a NIC and TCP/IP, if you don't assign it a IP address, Windows will stall at startup looking for a DHCP server to get an address from.

Comment

[sarcasm]Yay, more problems[/sarcasm]
              I got the nic (Intel 21140) to work, but after a restart it says the device is not working properly. I probably need to install the latest drivers, but the file I got off of Intel's site is 4+ megs. Can't put it on a disk, and no one has a zip drive. So what can I do now?

Helevitia, yeah, I didn't know it was that either, editing the autoexec was just a desperation move, kinda

Liquid Snake, we are on a school network so we can't have static IP addresses. Thanks for the heads up though.

[This message has been edited by TnT (edited 26 October 2000).]

Comment

Working...
              X