Which Socket A Motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Socket A Motherboard?

Hello all, I'm looking at replacing my aging CPU (see sig), and I've narrowed down the motherboards that I'm looking at for a Duron (To be O/Ced). Now I would very much like your input as to which one I should purchase (Nov. 15 or later purcahse time frame). I am looking at the Abit KT7 series (RAID or not) or the Asus A7V. Which one is the best and why? Thanks in advance for your input.

dsp

------------------
    AMD K6-2 350@500MHz
    128MB Generic PC-133 RAM
    13.6GB Maxtor 7200RPM Hard Drive
    4.3GB Quantum HD
    Toshiba SD-M1212 6X DVD ROM
    ACER 2X/2X/6X CD-RW
    SB Live Value w/digital out
    Matrox G400 32MB Dualhead Vanilla @ 157/210/157
    15" Daytek 1531D
    PD 6.01
    Win 98ME
    10/100 Ethernet card (D-Link)
    Cable @Home
    Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer
    1.8GHz PIV (Northwood) @ 2.5GHz
    512MB Corsair PC2700 @ 2-2-2 1T
    MSI 845PE FISR
    8.4GB Quantum CR
    40GB Maxtor 5400
    MSI 40X12X48
    Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
    SB Audigy
    Parhelia (210/600)
    19" Dell P991
    Win2kPro
    Intel Gigabit Network

They are both very nice boards. I own an Asus A7V and it is rock solid. It doesn't have ISA slots so if you have a legacy card, something to keep in mind. It comes with 5 USB ports right out of the box which is nice and you can expand to 7.
    The KT7 appears to be a tiny bit less stable but it has more features including RAID(as you already know), fan on kt133 chipset, everything can be adjusted in BIOS, one ISA slot, 6 PCI slots. It's hard to beat that setup. I probably would have chosen the ABIT if it was out at the same time the ASus came out but I couldn't wait. don't get me wrong though, I love my motherboard and I like the fact that I know it will always be nice and stable. To me, the bottom line is, do you have any components that you have that are known to have probs with the KT7? If not, get the KT7.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

KT7. Softmenu III baby. Gotta love it. No @#$! jumpers to set.
      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I've had an Abit KT7 for a couple of weeks now, and it is absolutely rock solid. I don't have any problems recommending that you get one too.

Comment

Thanks for your comments so far. I am leaning toward the Abit KT7 RAID, but it costs more than the others so I'm just trying to justify the price difference. As I don't have any ISA cards anymore ISA slots don't matter to me anymore. Please keep the comments coming, this helps me to make my decision.

dsp
          MSI 845PE FISR
          8.4GB Quantum CR
          40GB Maxtor 5400
          MSI 40X12X48
          Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
          SB Audigy
          Parhelia (210/600)
          19" Dell P991
          Win2kPro
          Intel Gigabit Network

Comment

Asus A7V here, rock-stable, didn't use any other socket A board, so its a tough call, but it has nice feature like 5 USB right away, With 7 port possible, ATA-100 (for what it worth for now). And also if you plan a big heatsink, the ASUS has more space for that than the ABit (unless you bend the capacitator...)

I've owned 2 Abit board before (Bh6 and a now-dead BF6) and they were not as stable as this one, but are more overclocking-friendly if you intend to overclock to the limit.

I suggest you go to www.bxboards.com they just have a review of the Asus A7V, and have one of the Abit KT7, and since they are not known to favor ASUS (ANAND anyone ?) they wrote a non-biaised review (I think ) of the ASUS board where it seems that speed to speed the Asus is a tad faster (go read for details).

Anyway, I think both way you can't lose. Its a matter of what you feel comfortable with.

Hope it helps

Jackzod

Athlon64 4800+
            Asus A8N deluxe
            2 gig munchkin ddr 500
            eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
            X-Fi Fatality
            HP w2207

Comment

You don't HAVE to buy one with the RAID controller. I have built two Abit KT7's, neither one with a RAID controller, and all works great. If you browse the Abit newsgroups though, the crummy Highpoint controller is giving a lot of people a lot of trouble. If you want RAID, get a non-RAID MB and add a Promise controller.

Comment

Both are nice, its mostly a features difference and you win either way. Personally I like the ISA slot as it holds a V.Everything modem nicely.

Has anyone seen the Tyan S2390 yet? It looks nice too.

------------------
                Dean
                -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS
                PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

Comment

I've got an A7V, and it's great stuff. I've owned Abit in the past (BH6 and BP6) and have run into problems with the HighPoint controller on the BP6. Also there were other problems with the BP6 due to cheap components and lack of QA.

I'd stick with the ASUS myself, but if I did get the Abit board I'd get the non-RAID one.

Others here seem to really like their Abit boards, though...in the end you probably can't go wrong with either one
                  Cory Grimster
                  <A HREF="http://www.houseofhelp.com"TARGET=_blank>www.houseofhelp. com</A>
                  <A HREF="http://www.2cpu.com"TARGET=_blank>www.2cpu.com</A>

Comment

Okay all, two more questions for you. First do you think my Global Win FKP-32 will work on the Duron/Athlon processors? Second which should I get the Abit KT7-RAID board or the Abit KT7 Non-RAID and a Promise Ultra-66 controller card? Thanks for all your previous replys guys, its been a great help so far.

dsp
                    MSI 845PE FISR
                    8.4GB Quantum CR
                    40GB Maxtor 5400
                    MSI 40X12X48
                    Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
                    SB Audigy
                    Parhelia (210/600)
                    19" Dell P991
                    Win2kPro
                    Intel Gigabit Network

Comment

You're better off buying an actual SocketA cooler. Duron's and Thunderbird's are a little on the fragile side, and poorly-fitting heatsinks have been known to bust the CPU into a useless chunk.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have an Abit KT7 and I love it to death. I have no problems recommending it. It is $131 at www.mwave.com or the direct link http://192.216.185.10/mwave/ProdMB-A...odMB-ABIT.hmx?
                        However the MSI K7TPro2 (not the original K7tPro) has all the advantages of the KT7 and should be cheaper when available. If you buy from mwave get their recommended thunderbird cooler. I have my 700 Duron at 850 with one of those. I also recommend you get your hands on so arctic silver thermal compound, use a plastic pen cover to remove the thermal pad off the heatsink, clean offf what's left with rubbing alcohol and a soft cloth, and then apply the arctic silver to the HS using a small amount. Yes the durons are fragile, and putting on the heatsink can be a maddening experience, but the results are gratifying. 3000+ 3DMarks with the default benchmark in 3DMark2000. Smooth UT gameplay, NFS PU (demo) smooth as silk etc
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
                        X