CompUSA 300W PS, any good for Athlon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CompUSA 300W PS, any good for Athlon?

The 300w powersupply for my 1.1gh Athlon(classic) just bite the dust after 10 months and I am looking for a quick temporary/permanant replacement locally. Local CompUSA has the FMI 300w ps for $40 and 400W ps for $70. Its not on AMD's list. Anyone using these ps? Are they worth my dimes?

Thanks

Why would you want to go with a supply that could potentially trash your system or cause you all kinds of stability trouble by going on the cheap and non AMD approved?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Along Greebe's line of thinking, the last thing I want to have to worry about in troubleshooting, system stability, etc., is the power supply. Just buy a quality one, and you'll have it forever. I really try to avoid CompUSA; most of the stuff they sell under their own label is very low quality.

I like PC Power and Cooling power supplies (www.PCpowerandcooling.com), and they're on the list. I've never had ANY problems with them, whereas with other brands I've gone through too many.

You can online order from them directly.

John

[This message has been edited by Johnny Ray (edited 20 October 2000).]

Comment

Greebe:

You are absolutely right about not going for the cheap stuff when comes to building a top notch machine. I need a powersupply right now for the 1.1GH Athlon because its my primary workstation/server and I got projects burning my ass... An Antec PP303X would be better choice then the CompUSA POS, unfortunly, the local store who supplied PP303X for my machines no longer exist..

I already have an <a href="http://www.plycon.com/power.htm">ENERMAX EG451P-VE 431Watt and an ENERMAX EG351P-VE 330Watt</a> on order but they wont be here until next week. The 431watt one will handle the motherboard, FDD, CDD, CDR, and 4 Raid IDE HDD's. The 330watt will connect two Delta 60mm CPU fans and eight 90mm/80mm Case Fans. Yes, this <a href="http://www.caseoutlet.com/Server/91/9691/default.htm">box</a> is louder than a jet engine. It still amazes me how well the Antec 300w PS handled all the power demands.

I'll just borrow the Antec PS from one of my other Athlon machines and wait for the Enermax to arrive.

[This message has been edited by Sir Hitech (edited 20 October 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Sir Hitech (edited 20 October 2000).]

Comment

In that case grab the 400w model and return it in a week if neccessary.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah... I could do that. They got nothing to lose. LOL..

Comment

UPDATE:

The 400Watt PS sold by CompUSA is actually Leadman LP-6100D with CompUSA retail box.

Leadman LP-6100D is equipped with two ball-bearing fans and its on AMD's List. So far this ps has been working great with my Athlon 1.1GH. We will see if this unit passes my 24hr Q3A Torture test.

Comment

Working...
              X