Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max speed in a P2B?

Ok here's the plan.

I want to upgrade my CPU from a P2 333 @ 400 to a P3 600+. I have a ASUS P2B rev 1.02 with the newest bios (1012 i think)and I need to know what the max speed is that I can put in it.

The ASUS web page doesn't seem to like me much and the best I could find is that I can put in a P3 600+..its that + that I'm wondering about. I'm also wondering about if it takes coppermine or not
    If there is anyone out there who can tell me for sure what the max is I would be happy to blame you if you turn out to be wrong

Falken,

I know EXACTLY how you feel!
    I also have the excellent Asus motherboard (P2B-L)with the same PCB rev 1.02.
    As listed on the Asus web page, the Slot1 Coppermine doesn't work....I plugged in my friend's PIII600E and my computer wouldn't even boot. The 1.65 volt requirement makes it incompatible.
    If I'm correct, the highest bus speed on your P2B is 112MHz. Being that the Katmai
    PIII 600 likely won't overclock to 672MHz
    (6x112), the next best choice would be to
    get a Katmai PIII 550MHz and over-clock that to 616MHz..that's what I did.
    The BEST plan would be to get a shiny new
    Asus CUSL2 to go with a new Coppermine!

Try this link for the info >
    Asus Coppermine Solutions

------------------
    Matrox G400MAX
    PIII 616
    Asus P2B-L
    128MB
    Quantum Fireball KX 27.3
    ADI G66
    Sound Blaster Live!
    Motorola CyberSURFR
    Pioneer DVD-103S

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 24 October 2000).]

Comment

It'll go as high as you want to take it.

I just built a comp w/ a P-III 700 coppermine for a friend. Works fine.

I'm running a dual P2B-DS 600@800, Runs fine=)

Rob~

1.73TBredB@1.67(166X10)@1.6V
      ASUS A7N8X
      Corsair 1GB PC3200
      Parhelia 128MB
      EIZO L685EX

Comment

One other thing...I had an old P2B-D that wouldn't run a 700E copper stable. Sometimes it would boot, Most of the time it would hang before post. Strangely it only happened after I flash to the latest BIOS.

I guess it depends on when your mobo was made. My DS model is pretti recent, hence the 133FSB and support for coppers.

Rob~

1.73TBredB@1.67(166X10)@1.6V
        ASUS A7N8X
        Corsair 1GB PC3200
        Parhelia 128MB
        EIZO L685EX

Comment

Oh Maggi!! He should be along soon to tell you about coppermines on the P2B MBs. He's had great sucess with a Celeron II. You should also check the alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus NG to see what people have done with the slockets.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

You need a P2B hardware v 1.03 or later to do Cumine, but then the sky's the limit(sorta) as the multiplier doesn't depend on the board as Intel has locked it on the processor. Also my P2B (sold it last week, but had it for over 2 years, and it is still a totally viable board) would go to 133fsb.

------------------
            AsusP3B-F ,iCeleron525(7x75),on Slotket 128megs PC133, G40032megSH, Diamond MX300, 13.5gigs of HD's, 52X CDrom 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 6.04,Altec Lansing ATP3 Subwoofer system,Envision 17incher,1 grey cat, 1 black cat and 1 calico
            AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Any P2B rev 1.02 can only do a max 112FSB, which as said above is not enough for the CuMine. I feel as bad about that as well, for it's the mobo sitting in my PC

Too bad if you want to use one of the latest CPU's. Though I wonder if the slotket (Slot 1 to 370 converter) would run? Did anyone try that?

Jord.
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

My Katmai 600 runs fine at stock voltages at 112 fsb. So there's a possibility...

Comment

Falken, you can run a coppermine p3 on your board. you will have to get a slocket(which allows voltage adjustment) together with a flipchip coppermine.you already have an up to date bios so thats no problem. you will have to set the slocket voltage to 1.8V(technically an overvoltage but chip won't complain) in order for combo to work. the fastest processor you can use then comes down to how much cash you want to spend.

Comment

oh yes, you should only get an E flipchip(X100 FSB) & not an EB(X133 fsb).

Comment

Originally posted by xortam:
                      Oh Maggi!! He should be along soon to tell you about coppermines on the P2B MBs. He's had great sucess with a Celeron II. You should also check the alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus NG to see what people have done with the slockets.

and here I am ...

Hi Falken,

screw ASUS and their compatibility list ...

They told me that my P2B-S Rev 1.02 would have to be at least Rev 1.04 for supporting Copper- and Celemines.

The reason must be that the MoBo design does not support those new voltages (VCore) properly, i.e. unless you up the VCore above 1.7, you might be confronted with a non-booting (not even beeping) system.

Therefore I recommend to get a good SlotKet (for example the SlotKET!!! from Abit) and up the VCore to 1.75 by adjusting the jumpers on that slotket.
                      Further you have to disable the VCore readout in your MoBo's BIOS > Power Management section, since it will report an error (VCore too high) and would stop you from booting.

I did it like that with my Celeron 566 and now it runs happily at 112MHz FSB, giving me whopping 952MHz CPU core ...

Let me know if you need further assist.

Cheers,
                      Maggi

PS: Jorden is right, 112MHz FSB is max for old P2B series boards and the option that is labelled as 133MHz, puts the clock to 110MHz. It makes no difference whether you use your jumpers or SoftFSB, 112MHz is max.
                      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                      LG BH10LS38
                      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Working...
                      X