Amiga announces new system!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amiga announces new system!

Amiga announced their new system.. with Matrox video adapter (will it be an G800???)
    http://www.amiga.com/products/one/pr.shtml

October 21, 2000, Melbourne, Australia - It is with great pleasure that we are able to announce the first new Amiga hardware in over 6 years. The AmigaOne, our first consumer product, will be targeted at the desktop and workstation market. Further products to follow will cover the markets from Personal Digital Assistants and upwards. All these products will run a single piece of software, the revolutionary Amiga Digital Environment (DE).

We completed the AmigaOne specification three months ago, and dubbed it the "zico". It is a specification and not a product because Amiga is a software company, not a hardware manufacturer. The ability of the Amiga DE to host itself on multiple hardware and operating system platforms frees us from hardware dependency and gives our partners and our customers the freedom to chose the hardware that best suits their needs and tastes.

The zico specification is as follows;

- One AmigaDE friendly host processor (PPC, x86, Arm, SH4, MIPS)
    - 64MB+ memory
    - Next Generation Matrox graphics card
    - Creative EMU10K1 based audio card
    - 10 GB+ HD
    - CD/DVD
    - USB 1.0
    - Firewire
    - 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
    - 56k modem
    - Spare PCI slots for expandibility

With the completion of the specification stage of the Amiga One, we contacted several respected hardware companies with a view to selecting partners who would be interested in creating AmigaOne products.

The AmigaOne process involves close co-operation between Amiga and our partners' hardware groups, the running of the AmigaDE on the hardware, and a thorough quality certification of the final product. Only then can the product be called an AmigaOne.
    [This message has been edited by Michel (edited 22 October 2000).]
    PIII 1Ghz|AbitSa6R|512mb Kingston|Matrox Parhelia 512 Retail|80gb WD & 30gb IBM 75gxp|Diamond MX300 A3d 2.0|36xcdrom|6x32AopenDVD|Sony DRU500A|Intel Pro 10/100 S|IIyama Vision Master Pro 450 | Celly 300a@450 'server' powered by a G400MAX

most likely it will be a G450 & not a G800.

Comment

I hate to say it, but Amiga has won more "vaporware" awards than nearly any other computer manufacturer.

Show me the box, Amiga, not a product spec sheet.

I'm not bashing Amiga: I still have one boxed up somewhere, and I think the architecture is still viable. Whenever I get a touch of nostalgia, I run UAE. (I still love Turrican).

BUT, they need to produce something, not just tell us about it.

Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

... heheh, yeah, but I already posted this yesterday...
        Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

HEY! Don't insult Bitboys that way! THEY, not Amiga, are the reigning kings of vaporware!

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

You are not being fair to AMIGA.
            It has had its legs cut of more than 3 times.
            And if you read the statement again it actualy sais that an "AMIGA" system isn't a hardvare system anymore.
            More like a OS like Linux, etc etc
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Looks like I need to get a firewire adapter and a new Matrox card soon..

------------------
              Ace
              "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
              Gainward Ti4600
              AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

As an ex-Amiga fan (i still got my beloved A4000/040 25mhz and also a A500Plus and a rare Amiga CD32 ) i still like to hear good news for the Amiga system.
                By the way, do you remember games like Swadow of the Beast (trilogy), Turrican , Speedball 2, and my personal favorite Sendible World of Soccer
                And my favorite 3d programme Lightwave 3.5 and the 3d demos i created with it that still today are Extremly good(with Scala M200 )

[This message has been edited by alessandro (edited 23 October 2000).]

[This message has been edited by alessandro (edited 23 October 2000).]
                Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

AMIGA is great comp but have to many problems with hardware firms . I have Amiga 1200 + Blizzard PPC 603e / M68040 + BVision (Gfx card vith Permedia II) + 128Mb RAM + Fast ATA and it is very good combo, but I have not enough good software or games, and hardware come to be old. Anyway I hope Amiga alive ! 8-)
                  I know litle bit nostalgic....

------------------
                  ASUS A7V | || Duron 700@1010 | || TITAN Majesty -> cooling unit | || 128Mb PC133 | || G400 DH MAX | || SB Live! 1024 | || IBM 25Gb | || HP Writer 7100 | || DVD AOpen 1040 (flash Pionner) | || Win2k
                  -------------------------------
                  Only one thing is missing in my life. Save button. (bad English I know...)
                  ASUS A7V ||| Duron 800@1070 ||| TITAN Majesty -> cooling unit ||| 256Mb PC133 ||| G400 DH MAX ||| SB Live! 1024 ||| IBM 25Gb ||| HP Writer 7100 ||| DVD AOpen 1040 (flash Pionner) ||| Win2k
                  -------------------------------
                  Only one thing is missing in my life. Save button. (bad English I know...)

Comment

According to an interview that was posted a few weeks ago, the new Amiga will run a G800 ...

Besides that, name one Computer System that is officially dead since about ten years, but still has a very active user & coding scene ...

Ok, I admit, one might be the C64.

Cheers,
                    Maggi
                    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                    LG BH10LS38
                    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Working...
                    X