Oh NO Nvidia buying rumors!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh NO Nvidia buying rumors!!

Is this a sign that the world is coming to an end???

check out www.stomped.com and scroll down a little bit. They are talking about buying 3dfx and or ATi, which I find them buying ATI, a little out there!

Scott

------------------
    Abit BH6 with a Celeron 2-566@877mhz,256mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem,WinME on Western Digital 30GB drive

Boy I'm a total idiot I posted the wrong URL. theres a couple more posts on this at www.hardocp.com and www.Firingsquad.com

[This message has been edited by GT98 (edited 20 October 2000).]
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Where, I looked, even did a search and couldn't find that.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

In 'Tech Bits [Blue-9:43 AM EDT] ' :

NVIDIA Buying ATI?
      Likewise, NVIDIA Grabs Market Share from ATI Technologies is an audio RealPlayer required report that quotes unnamed analyst saying that NVIDIA may be looking to capitalize on their #1 spot in the market by acquiring arch-rival ATI. Thanks Stomped.
      ------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

NVIDIA is on a mission to bring crappy drivers to every computer in the world.

Comment

Nvidia gets on my nerves with its monopolistic attitude. I think I´ll never buy an Nvidia card, even if they´re good.

Comment

They're on crack. Nobody realizes just how HUGE ATI are.

- Gurm

------------------
            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurm's right! IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!!!(I hope) No if were the other way around...

------------------
              Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
              According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Heck, Way back when I used to have a sound card from ATI. I still use the speakers that came with it for my discman.

Comment

It's not how huge a company is. It's how much stock has been issued and at what price it is at...

So a controlling interest in 3dfx (TDFX) would cost nVidia approximately: (50% of outstanding shares)

$4 x 20,000,000 = $80,000,000

Controlling interest in ATI Tech. (ATYT) would cost approximately:

$7 x 115,000,000 = $805,000,000

Now, mind you that of all these 3 companies, nVidia is the only one that has a postivie earnings/share.

Just for the heck of it, controlling interest in nVidia would be:

$70 x 32,000,000 = $2,240,000,000

What does that all mean?

Well, I don't see why nvidia doesn't gobble up 3dfx just for the technology, and then shut down the manufacturing part (STB). Buying out 3dfx is chump change for them.

As for buying out ATI Tech. it is a little less likely, but still possible. I'm sure nVidia could raise the necessary dough through an additional 11 million shares.

So either can happen, but I think nVidia will only buy out 3dfx. nVidia wants to remain a chipset only manufacturer (for now), so buying out ATI is impractical since a good chunk of them is manufacturing.

3dfx on the other hand is small, and gobbling them up for the technology is practical. Selling off the STB part should be relatively easy.

Comment

It's 3dfx, not ATi...
                    http://www.businessweek.com:/2000/00_44/b3705153.htm

------------------
                    Cheers,
                    Steve

Comment

A controlling interest in a company can be much less than 51% of the shares. Anything that gets you seats on the board is what makes you a controlling stockholder.

Doubt that? Check this out - Warren Buffet (albeit, not a NORMAL board member, but...) FIRES the Chairman/CEO of Gillette yesterday.

"BOSTON (Reuters) - Gillette Co. (NYSE:G - news) board member Warren Buffett on Thursday removed the consumer product giant's Chairman and Chief Executive Michael Hawley, informing the veteran executive he no longer had the board's confidence and should resign."
                      http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2000...fett_dc_1.html
                      PIII 550@605
                      IWill Motherboard VD133
                      VIA Chipset
                      512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                      G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
                      DirectX 8.0a
                      SB Live! Value
                      8x DVD (Toshiba)
                      6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                      Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                      3Com CMX Cable Modem
                      Optiquest V95 19"
                      HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                      Microtek flatbed scanner
                      Intellimouse Explorer
                      Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
                      AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

It's not going to hapen!!!! http://firingsquad.gamers.com/news/default.asp#2314

------------------
                        Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Who is this company called 'rumours' anyway? And why would Nvidia want to buy them?

------------------
                          Cheers,
                          Steve

Comment

Working...
                          X