Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound problems w/ sblive & win2k

Hey guys - I gotta bit of a problemo.

If I play an MP3 in win2k on my machine (P3-700, 256Mb, g450 etc etc) then all is OK. But then if I browse the net and click on links (you know you hear that little 'tick' sound when you click links in IE?) or do something in an application which throws up a message box (and so causes the 'ding' sound) then around 7 out of 10 times the MP3 playback gets totally distorted and breaks up. The only way to fix it is to jump to a different part of the MP3 as it plays (or stopa and start it again). It doesn't matter what bitrate the MP3 is or anything. It's only done it for a few days now and rebooting doesn't help.

any ideas?

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Don't worry! I sussed it - Use the WaveOUT plugin instead of the DIrectSound output plugin.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

This is a common problem with Creative's Win2k Liveware drivers...if you use the WDM SBLive driver bundled with Win2K, you will have no problems.

Creative Labs is aware of the problem and is currently evaluating blah blah blah...

They had better get that issue fixed for Liveware 4! (Preferably while not creating any more "issues"!)

Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

i just installed win2k about a week ago.
        installed the updated drivers off creative site because i thought that i would avoid the liveware stuff.
        mp3's skip, echo when there not soposed to, on shutdown i hear a big *BOOOOM* if i still have my speakers on and half my games had no sound. Ones that did work had something like 400% reverb and 100% chorus so i couldn't use it anyway.
        i thought that perhapse it was because i didn't install liveware. after all, why would creative put out such a crappy driver that was worse than the win2000 default driver.
        i installed this and even worse things happened.
        crashes every other reboot, mp3's skipped (even wavs and midi's) every second (literally) so i couldn't listen to music or anything.
        in quake if you fired a rocket it would play the first MS of the sound then stop and play a burst of static, so you could hear little in the game and i could't play it with sound.
        i finally gave up trying to make it work (there were no overlapping IRQ's either) and uninstalled all creative things on my computer.
        booted up fine with excellent sound and no skipping with the win 2000 default driver.
        so i sudgest just sticking with the default drivers in win2k if you actually want to have a functional sound card.

Comment

thas weird cos mine works like a charm no matter what drivers i have.

oh nuts, i think fate might be just a little tempted by that last statement :-)

------------------
          1st system

[b]Coppermine 650E @ 946mhz (145mhz FSB). Globalwin VOS32 HSF (the hooge one with the air duct set to blow cold air in)Abit Bf6. 256mb Winbond pc133, USR Message Modem external, SB Live!, Maxtor Diamond Max 30GB!!@ 7200rpm, Quantum 850mb HDD, Promise UDMA66, G400 @ max settings, generic 50*CD ROM, generic 24*CD ROM, 3Com 10/100 PCI NIC. Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer USB. Win98/w2k Dual boot. All wrapped up in Songcheer Super wide with loads of fans and 2 PSUs. Belinea 10 30 40 17" monitor, FPS100 sound system, Cyborg 2000 joystick, generic keyboard.

Crossover cable

2nd system

Celly 600 @ 810mhz, Abit BX133RAID @90mhz, 128mb pc133, 15GB Maxtor HDD, Adaptec 2940 SCSI card, Plextor 40 speed SCSI CD, Yamaha 8x4x24 SCSI CDRW, All In Wonder pro 32MB, SBLIVE, 3Com 10/100 PCI NIC, 15in Dell Monitor, epson 460 stylus printer, genius vivid pro 2 scanner. Generic keyboard, 3d program pad, Genius netmouse pro, Songcheer Desktop ATX Case ATX,3 00Watt PSU (original went bang)
          1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
          Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
          Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Using the LW3 for windows 2000 I hadn't any probs with my old X-Gamer. BTW Gurm says DirectX 8 for win2k makes the Live! hardware accelerated.
            The X-Gamer 5.1 comes with win2k Liveware 3 drivers out of the box and which work fine except that an extra copy of newsupd.exe is left running and causes you not to get news updates (easily fixed by killing one copy of newsupd.exe)

And while we are comparing dic ooops erm Systems ... Voilá

------------------
            1° System
            Inwin Q500 Case
            Abit KT7 Motherboard
            AMD Duron 700@850 MHz.
            128 MB Micron PC100 Cas 2 PC100 SDRAM.
            Maxtor 20 GB 5400 RPM UATA 66 HD
            Quantum Fireball 4.3 GB UATA 33 HD
            Plextor PX-W8432 burner
            Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! X-Gamer 5.1
            Matrox G400 DH 32MB
            Mag Innovision DX17T
            Klipsch ProMedia v2.400 Speakers (yeah baby)
            ATI TV Wonder*sigh*
            Realtek 8039AS based 10Mbps NIC
            Running Win98SE, Win2K SP1, BeOS 5.03 and Mandrake Linux 7.1(xfree 4.0)

2° System
            Generic Finger Slicer AT Case
            FIC VA503+
            IBM Cyrix PR 266 *brrr* (long story)
            128 MB Generic PC100 SDRAM
            Maxtor 10 GB 7200 PRM UDMA33 HD
            Creative Labs Ensonic AudioPCI64 (es1371)
            Matrox Millennium G200 AGP
            Realtek 8019 ISA NIC
            Win98 2222A
            Win2k Pro SP1

3° System

PCChips M571
            Intel Pentium MMX 233
            128 MB EDO DRAM (SIMMS)
            IBM 10 GB HD
            Diamond Stealth S3 trio 64
            Realtek 8019 ISA NIC
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Yes DX8 does make the SB Live! hardware accelerated under Win2k. However it WON'T fix the myriad of other problems they have (spontaneous volume levels, noise, etc.) with those drivers.

- Gurm

------------------
              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Funny I don't seem to have those problems. Oh I forgot that I was using the 5.1 now. Hmmm, I may put the older X-Gamer in one of the other machines and try to use the newer drivers with it and see if I have those probs.
                [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Spontaneous volume levels are caused by other software, and it's not Win2k specific. I sometimes do here noise when I use the wheel on the mouse.

Comment

I got an *realy* old Live value!
                    and i have virtualy zero problems with it.

------------------
                    Intel PIII-800/133MHz MSI 6337
                    G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
                    SBlive
                    256 MB RAM CAS2
                    43GB HDD Space!(Actual 40GB) (13+30 Quantum drives)
                    Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
                    SONY CRX140E 8/4/32 CDRW
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I really was fed up with all those stupid f*****-up liveware drivers from Creative in Win2k, so I have been using the default WDM drivers for the past months.. they work fine, but you won't get EAX (as if I care about EAX).

I don't know about DirectSound3D acceleration, but maybe DirectX 8 will do that too for these drivers

Comment

Hunsow,

No, I'm referring to the "ohmiGOD that environmental effect is so loud it popped my speakers!" and the "ohmiGOD what the hell is that random loud burst of static that occured for no apparent reason!?" and the "ohmiGOD why the hell doesn't the CD audio volume stay in the middle where I put it!?!?", not the other stuff.

- Gurm

------------------
                        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                        X