Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• couple win2000 questions

Hi guys ..
    Being a new comer to win2k .. i got couple questions for ya ..
    1st : wat's the directory dllcache ( K:\WINNT\system32\dllcache ) it has the same exe and dll files that are present in c:\windows and c:\windows\system32 .
    it's read only, hidden and eating 205 MB of disk space
    is it safe to delete it ??
    2nd : i have a rockwell 33.6 voice external modem (identified by windows as Rockwell DPF PnP)connected to COM2.
    If i boot win2k with the modem off, it dissapeares and i have to redect it or refresh in device manager .
    thanks
    GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

DON'T (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) DELETE THAT DIRECTORY!.

This is a function of win2k that helps to keep dll's from corruption. You may think it's not doing anything, but it really is.

Rags

Comment

OK OK i won't .. don't shout .. hehe
      But i hope it won't get any bigger and eat my whole disk
      thanx Rags

Comment

Hehehe, just wanted to make sure you "heard" me

That directory does not get smaller it only gets bigger.

Rags

Comment

Mine is up to 235 MB. It doesn't really bother me, it's there for a good cause, and I keep it hidden.

Rags

Comment

Originally posted by arbymo:
            2nd : i have a rockwell 33.6 voice external modem (identified by windows as Rockwell DPF PnP)connected to COM2.
            If i boot win2k with the modem off, it dissapeares and i have to redect it or refresh in device manager .
            thanks
            What is the question?

That's how it is with external modems.. you have to open Device Manager and right-click on the serial port and choose "scan for hardware changes" (or something to that effect)..

-Lucid
            There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by Lucid:
              What is the question?

-Lucid
              The question is i don't wanna redetect the modem each time i forgot to turn it on before booting.
              And after it's detected, i have to turn it off then back on again so it can work. !!!
              This doesn't happen in win9x/NT.
              And even win2k tells u it will put the unplug icon in systray, i click ok and it doesn't !!
              i'll try to get used it probably, just wanted to be sure if i'm doing something wrong.
              Thanks guys

[This message has been edited by arbymo (edited 16 October 2000).]

Comment

Thanks for the tip Rik.
                I'll try it as soon as i get my win2k working again, it stays at the login prompt saving settings then login then saving settings then login again and so on for ever.

Comment

Arbymo -
                  Try this cunning work-around for the modem problem in Win2k (it works for me).
                  Boot with your modem switched off, then run the modem detection wizard and manually select your modem. You should get a new hardware entry for your modem with '#2' after it. Reboot with your modem switched on and then disable the original entry using the device manager. Don't forget to change your dial-up settings to use the '#2' modem entry.
                  Obviously Microsoft cannot comprehend that people might possibly want to use their computer without constantly being connected to the net. I'm just waiting for a 'suspend to internet' feature in the next Windows!

Comment

Working...
                  X