@Home and the UPLOADS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @Home and the UPLOADS.

Well, as all of you with @Home know we have been capped on the uploads. I hear that some of you out there haven't had it implimented in your area yet but the email that they sent out said that it was a Nation wide cap that they were implimenting (so it's comming). I have heard that there is a way around it, but I have been unable to find it. What have you heard?

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Mine isn't capped (yet), but it's not something that is done on your end and you can't get around it. A good friend of mine is a Tier 2 tech with them and gives me the scoop on what's going on, so I'll try to keep you all updated.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

That would be cool! Thanks! I am not planning on doing anything against the rules of @Home, but when I upload stuff to a server I hate the fact that it takes 20 times longer than it does to download the same file. I wish that there was a way to turn it off to transfer a single file at a time (or something like that). They just unilaterally clipped our speeds with no regard for those of us that were not abusing it. When I signed up with @Home, the upload speed was one of the things that helped me make my choice. Now I am locked into a contract and am unable to change.

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

Kindness, see my post in the Soap Box about upload speeds and download performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Kindness!:
          Well, as all of you with @Home know we have been capped on the uploads. I hear that some of you out there haven't had it implimented in your area yet but the email that they sent out said that it was a Nation wide cap that they were implimenting (so it's comming). I have heard that there is a way around it, but I have been unable to find it. What have you heard?

MAN! I KNOW THIS PISSES ME OFF. I HAD BEEN A HAPPY UNCAPPED CAMPER UNTIL THIS MONDAY.

on the bright side, my downstream has never been better.
          AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
          Asus K7V Motherboard
          384MB PC-100 SDRAM
          20GB Maxtor 7200RPM Hard Drive
          30GB Maxtor 5400RPM Hard Drive
          Generic DVD-ROM
          IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
          SB Live Value
          Matrox Millenium G400 32MB
          SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1211TX) (Network Card To Cable Modem)
          3Com EtherLink III ISA (3C509b-TPO) (Network Card To Network Bridge)
          Windows ME
          6.20 G400 Drivers

Comment

I wish they would cap us up here! I have half to one third of what some of you others are getting for bandwidth speed tests (in the other thread) and I have @home cable. I almost never upload, as I have no website.

------------------
            AsusP3B ,iCeleron525(7x75), 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Diamond MX300, 13.5gigs of HD's, 52X CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 6.04,Altec Lansing ATP3,Envision 17incher,1 grey cat, 1 black cat and 1 calico
            AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Bohrn,

Capping will do NOTHING for your downloads, which are probably already capped or at least balanced.

Others,

There is a way to uncap your uploads - IF and ONLY IF the capping is done at the modem. For example, on my old Media One account, the capping was set at 500kb upstream, capped at the modem. There was a simple little program that I ran which spoofed the ARP in such a way as to make the router think that the extra packets were coming from somewhere else.

The program was called (don't bloody censor me or nobody will be able to find it):

****UPC

It was specifically for LanCity modems, but there was another version for Motorolas and a third for 3Coms, and probably more of them by now.

- Gurm

------------------
              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm running an RCA DCM-215... a very sweet DT
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

A correction. I shouldn't have said "if the capping is done at your modem". I meant if the capping is done via the router/modem collaboration (where the router tells the modem what cap to set).

Odds are, though, that this is how yours is done.

- Gurm

------------------
                  Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                  X