LCD-screens... worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD-screens... worth it?

the're great for 2D stuff.if you need to play games I'd look at a "normal" monitor.

Well, the only LCD's worth the money are the fully digital ones (can you even GET an analog one anymore?), and of course those require a special header. So you need a card with flat-panel output.

Now, nvidia's flat panel output never worked until the GeForce2, IIRC. ATI's is sketchy depending on the driver, I don't know if 3dfx has it, and you need to buy a special G200 or G400 from Matrox if you want it.

In addition, your refresh rate is usually quite limited on the flat panel. It isn't as bad as you might think, since the flat panel needs less refreshes to look just as nice as a regular CRT. However, this translates into piss-poor gaming. I've played UT and Q3 on flat panels, and... well... it sucked.

That's my take. People may, as always, feel free to correct me.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Errm, well, I work at Sony these days, and they have 2 flavours of LCD screens:

Take a look at what they can and cannot do at Sony LCD displays, and do cushion yourself as you fall almost drop dead from the prices

Btw, I've seen a game run on the CDP-L181A, and it looked cool, even from sideways. The only problem I think that monitor has is that it vibrates alot

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Vibrates alot? What do you mean?

Comment

NEC 18" screens a very nice! I've used them and their quality is great!

------------------
          Cheers,
          Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

I'll wager the the price on them there LCDs will bring lots of Joy to no-one
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

LCD-screens... worth it?

I know it's kinda off-topic but you're all smart people who's opinions I'd like to hear ;-) And anyway, I have a 16 MB Marvel G400 so it's kinda relevant...

The question is: I'm considering an LCD-screen. Just when I was ready to flash the cash, I was told those screens aren't so hot when you like to play games. Basically, a frantic game of Quake becomes too fuzzy and you have to play at precisely the right screen dimension for your LCD-screen or the image will be stretched out.

I don't play a lot of games and but I'd like to have the option. I welcome opinions, links to relevant articles and heated debate ;-)

Regards,

Martijn Warnas

Comment

Just what I said, Brian... the outer casing of the flatscreen vibrates. It won't show on the screen, but you can hear it rattle on your desk.
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

Do you work near machinery or a trainyard?

Comment

Working...
                  X