Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convert the A7V Promise ATA/100 controller into a RAID controller!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert the A7V Promise ATA/100 controller into a RAID controller!

I just read this great peice of info over at HOCP and thought I'd share. Here is the web site with instructions. I think I'm going to have to try it this weekend

http://www.tweakhardware.com/guide/a7v-raid/
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Yeah, this is the same modification (in concept) that one was able to do to their ATA66 PCI controller.

Thanks for the link. Interesting mod.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 12 October 2000).]

Comment

I saw those mods for the other promise controllers. Glad they finally came out with one for the on-board ata/100

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Dave, illuminate your ICQ sometime, or is that a freedom you lost when married? (LOL just picking
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

hehe, I'll let my wife know what you said

Yeah, I've been laggin on the ICQ thing lately. I'll try to be more visible.

Dave

Comment

what are the performance gains of doing this conversion, If any?

------------------
            Ath SOC1 750Mhz,G4MAX,Asus a7V, Vortex 2, Maxtor+ 40 30GB, 256Mb(133)
            Ath SOC1 1.2gz,G200(dam), Asus a7V133, sonic fury, Maxtor+ 40 30GB, 384Mb(133), win2ksp2 <-&->Vaio Z600 P3 700, 192mb, Ati rage, 15gb

Comment

My friend claims to have gone from 30MB average to 48MB average. I'm thinking of using it for mirroring my drives as opposed to the performance gain.

Dave

Comment

I've only just set my new system.. I'm not to impressed with the speed of the drive at the moment, therefore I'm wondering if it's set up correctly.. Can any one reccomend a benchmarking tool or any HD URL's so I can compare! I also beleive maxtor use a setting related to the noise levels produced from the drive which can effect performance. I used to like listening to the crunching sounds omitted from the drive, makes me think the machine is actually doing something.
                Ath SOC1 1.2gz,G200(dam), Asus a7V133, sonic fury, Maxtor+ 40 30GB, 384Mb(133), win2ksp2 <-&->Vaio Z600 P3 700, 192mb, Ati rage, 15gb

Comment

hdtach 2.61 from TestaCD Labs. www.tcdlabs.com . You may need to disable auto insert notification to get it to run (esp intel chipsets)
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Easty,

Go to Maxtor's website and download AMSET to turn the noie back on your HDD. I got a tiny performance increase but nothing that made me jump up and down. I actually liked it quieter. I think I will turn the noise back off. heh, that sounds kind of funny to me Turn the noise off of a hdd Use the program the DentyCracker pointed out for you.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X