How to crash win2k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to crash win2k

Stage one get two cheepo demo realtek 8138 pci cards from work.

Stage two slap em in and piss around getting the network working.
    Everything seems fine apart from the odd lost print (one in ten) and the network drives being disconnected when using the internet connection sharing.

Stage three Recent birthday time brings excuse to buy an p800 and dreams of a 1ghz.

Stage four get pissed on your birthday but wake up the next day without a hangover and it's your the day off so lets get the case off.

Stage five can only get it up to 920 mhz everything seems okay shame the big heatsink didn't fit although you were told it would. Send heatsink back and get the replacement weather station installed on roof (another story).

Stage six Wake up on saturday and discover you've also be given another birthday present a cold. Thanks Pal, Scan a colour image and send it to the printer it disappears. Try again same thing. For some reason click on the mapped network drive and the machine hangs.

Stage seven. Reboot the machine and notice that the my network places is acting funny.

Stage eight Pratt around for hours only to find that server has had a wobbly as well and cannot see itself on the network. Feeling shit and give up for the night win2k crashes again to give a goodnight send off.

Stage nine Next day. Come on you Basterd Clock machine back everything works at 864mhz. Clock back to 872 and everything is borderline with the odd crash. Increase the CPU voltage still the same. Use the network diagnostic program it says okay. Mmm This reminds of a problem had before on the University network and look at the network card with suspicion.

Now the cure.

Stage 1 Return to work feeling shitty and borrow another sample card a 3com 905 and another card.

Stage 2 slap the 3com in and viola everything works. The machine even switches off striaght away without a 4 second pause. Network drives are available while on the internet the printer prints in colour happily and the machine is clocked back at 900 + mhz.
    Now the server still has the odd wobbly so I think it's realtek card is going to have to go as well.
    So if you want to crash win2k slap in a cheap network card map a few drives share a printer and overclock and it will happily crash.

Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

moral:

NEVER, _EVER_ buy realtek.

These cards are called 'Realdrek' over hear, which means someting like 'really shitty'. Depending on your software/hardware combination, they may just work, but they also may not.

3com gives superior performance, and has _MUCH_ better software/hardware support, and a life-long guarantee... you pay for it too, but it is worth it.

Cards based on the DEC Tulip chipset are a good alternative (nowadays called Intel something, since they bought the Digital Networking devision).

Comment

Option 2: Buy NVIDIA card - install 6.18

Option 3: Buy Rage MAXX (well not a crash but still )

Paul.

------------------
      Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
      Computer Solutions | Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal | Pace Central
      Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
      Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Thou has learnt a very important lesson.
        Never, never, never, never use dodgy hardware in a Windows 2000 setup.
        I only run Win2000, been like this since January.
        Every bit of kit inside my PC is from a good brand name - never had an issues.
        You used a very bad word in the description of what you did 'cheepo'.
        Cheepo normally means no go in Win2000.
        Can I recommend to everybody that they check both this site: http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...at/default.asp
        Which is the official Microsoft Win2000 compatibility list and the web sites for all hardware manufacturers you use before making the move to this far superior OS.
        Pleased you all sorted out now though

------------------
        ASUS CUSL2, PIII 800EB, 512MB PC100 RAM (Hyundai), 2x 30GB ATA-100 IBM HD, Matrox G400MAX, SB Live!, Adaptec 2940UW, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD-ROM, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Internal SCSI ZIP Drive, Iiyama VM Pro410, Windows 2000 Only
        It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
        Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

well .. i have 2 PC's; one is a RedFox LX with celeron 333 and the other is GigaByte BX with celeron 300A@450 .. in both machines i use realtek 8139 net cards, and tried with most MS OS; win95 osr2, win98, win98 se, win nt 4 and win2k.
          never had problems from such cards regarding setup, hardware or networking.
          maybee i'm just lucky, or u were unlucky with ur setup.
          of course the 3com r superb cards with good hardware and drivers and they r worth; but too much for me .. 4x the price of realtek.
          just my 2 cents.
          GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

If you want performance buy a 3Com or Intel NIC, if you've got a low budget buy a Dlink or Netgear NIC just don't buy anything with Realtek, Genius, Pine etc. on the box.

If you want problems then buy one and fit it to a PC Chips motherboard preferably with a WinChip CPU an old S3 video card and maybe an Oak sound card
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I've got 3 3Com's (3C905B-TX) and several Realtek's which work ok - but they were just for friends and I got a few left over. My system is great in Win2k with my original setup (P2-350, P6SBA, G200 8Mb, SBLive!, 3Com 10/100 PCI, Advansys SCSI, Pioneer 10x DVD, Pioneer 36x CD, Yamaha 6416 CDRW SCSI, Zip 100 IDE, IBM 25GP 20Gb, IBM 75GXP 30Gb) but since I got my TNT2 it's been a little less stable. Still great though!

Anyone know how much better the 3Com cards with 3XP are? I'll soon have 2 Win2k boxes that are both mine (as I've currently got a friends P3-500) so I'll be setting up a server client network. I'd ideally like excellent performance and this 3XP chip supposedly gives just that! The price initially was about 3x the price of my 905B-TXs but now it's down to about 1.5x - not too bad but I'd still like to know if it's worth it!

Paul.

------------------
              Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
              Computer Solutions | Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal | Pace Central
              Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
              Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
              Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Pace, haven't used the 3C990's yet but we have put some 3C980's in which are their other Server NIC's. They looked identical to the 3C905's but performed noticeably better and can be paired up to give load balancing/fault tolerance. These we running in Compaq Servers and Workstation running Win NT 4.0. For the fault tolerance to work properly you need to connect them to a switch.
                When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Pc Chips a Winchip s3 Video card I would go for a crystal audio card to make the perfect pc from hell.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

In my case, i couldent get any NIC to work with w2k when it suddenly went "ACPI - Heaven or Hell?"

I got myself an USB-->RJ45 adapter and moved the problem "out da box"!

------------------
                    Intel PIII-800/133MHz MSI 6337
                    G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
                    SBlive
                    256 MB RAM CAS2@100MHZ (wont do 133 stable)
                    60GB HDD Space!(Actual 58GB) (30+30 IBM DTLA drives)
                    Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
                    SONY CRX140E 8/4/32 CDRW

[This message has been edited by Technoid (edited 12 October 2000).]
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                    X