Netscape 6 PR3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netscape 6 PR3

Just downloaded and installed Netscape 6 PR3. It's very nice. Works very smooth and very fast and hasn't crashed yet. Even IE phreaks may like this one.

Jammrock

------------------
    Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Installed, tested, uninstalled, deleted. J/K Not quite that bad Not quite there yet. Memory footprint is too large, speed needs work, and some pages don't display right.

Rags

Comment

and some pages don't display right
      Has Netscape EVER displayed a page right in the whole of history?

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC:
        Has Netscape EVER displayed a page right in the whole of history?

Netscape follows the standard, regardless if it's good or not, unlike IE. Most people test their stuff on IE and it work even if they have a small error in it. Later this error may cause problem as new functions are inserted into the page making the debugging very hard. In netscape you would find the error immediatly since it will not display a improperly tagged page.

Comment

Netscape does NOT adhere to standards. That's their biggest problem. Netscape has been boasting for over two years about how they were going to release a browser that would support more standards than any other browser. They have yet to deliver on this promise. They still keep 4.x released, even though it's a hopeless case, with a flawed code base.

Promising to support standards, and boasting that they will support them is NOT supporting them.

Rags

Comment

The problem with Netscape is that it doesn't support the all the latest and greatest function, but when it supports something it supports it they way the standard say, not the way they wanted the standard to be, like IE. A simply example would be a table without a /table in a plain html file, Netscape wouldn't view it since it's not a complete table, while IE would. So if you test your page on IE you wont find the error and you may get very strange results later.

[This message has been edited by Humus (edited 08 October 2000).]

Comment

So far the only browser I've used that adheres to the standards is Opera. Cool browser that.

Unfortunately a lot of sites are using the broken HTML at Netscape and IE support.

Bleah.

The thing I like about Netscape 6 so far is the ability to import IE bookmarks and Outlook addressbooks. Muhaha. Eat that!

Comment

Dalbregor is right. Neither Netscape nor IE adhere to the standards. THey try to outdo each other with proprietary crap that makes those of us who design web pages pull our hair our. I used to design sites with two sets of pages (one IE, one Netscape) now, unless a client wants it otherwise I just make one and use Opera as a design browser since it *does* adhere to the standard and anything designed in Opera will display properly 99% of the time in NS or IE. (I still check to make sure :-) )

------------------
                Dean
                -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS
                PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

Comment

Good call Holerith ;-)

Cross-browser testing is a bitch. Having a site that works in Opera is a pretty good guarantee that it'll work in everything.

By the way, do you get many cracks about the Olympics, living where you live? ;-)

Comment

just use the w3c html validation service, and it is guaranteed to work on every browser (maybe except Netscape, since it does not always follow the standards)

Comment

Working...
                    X