Video surveillance camera conected to PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video surveillance camera conected to PC

A friend at work would like to be able to see or watch the front entryway to his home from his PC. This would involve about 100+ ft of cable to go from the front of his house to the back where his office is located.

What would be the easiest(cheapest) way to do this from his PC????

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

There is great free software that you can download. As long as you have a video capture card and a camera, you are pretty much set. I've actually set it up before and there was nothing to it. I assume it would probably work w/ USB cameras as well. These programs are cool cuz they will detect motion as well. here is a link to one of them, although I've never used it before.

http://www.zincware.com/

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Thanks Dave,

Will most web cams work if run through 100+ ft of cable?? That would be the least expensive camera to use rather than the more expensive CCD cameras ?? His main problem would be splicing and running that great a length of cable.

Paul
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I guess it would depend on the cable. Coax cable is cool cuz it can travel enough distance to where a house shouldn't be a prob. If it is a USB camera, you might have a problem there since it is a USB cable. I doubt there is USB cable long enough even if it did work.

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

USB cams seem to be limited to about 5 Meter of cable - If you want more there are UTP network cable converters available - cant remember where I came across that though

------------------
          Lawrence
          Lawrence

Comment

ALBPM,

I have a Creative Labs WebCamGo (USB)
            set up to watch the inside of my apartment.
            It's a very good and very inexpensive setup
            that came with CL Monitor software.
            It has a motion-detection mode that can take snapshots or even a video of whoever triggers the adjustable motion sensor. You can even set it up to email the pics/video
            in case someone steals the computer!
            However, I haven't tried it with a USB cable longer than the 30' cable I use now.

------------------
            Matrox G400MAX
            PIII 616
            Asus P2B-L
            128MB
            Quantum Fireball KX 27.3
            ADI G66
            Monster Sound MX200
            Motorola CyberSURFR

Comment

Thanks Tom, that sounds like it has potential. My friend will need a lot more cable for his application though

Paul

Comment

I think I've saw a web cam that actually connects to the network via UTP. I'll have a search and get back to you on this. I think it was expensive however but it could be the only choice for 100' away.

And Tom - do you mean 30' (feet) or 30" (inches)? I didn't think USB went this far.

Paul.

------------------
                Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
                Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal
                Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
                Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
                Meet Jasmine.
                flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I suppose you might be able to use stand-alone hubs as USB repeaters, but I'm not sure if it will work. Sounds expensive, too. Are there network cameras, like there are network printers? Or maybe just set up a USB camera on a really cheap barebones system, and run some CAT5 from that computer to yours.

There has to be an easier way, though.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

https://ssl10.securedata.net/mat-co/pricing.htm

There are some solutions on this site specifically for this kind of thing.

Comment

If your friend has a camera with an rca out and a vcr with an rca in, then all he needs is a 100' coax cable and he's set.

Before coming to Matrox, I was at Kantech Systems where we developed and manufactured high security card access systems (Fiber optics and RS485 protocols) for the DSC group. For $1500 cdn, you can automate your entire house, have a home burglar system, and also monitor whatever you want

Haig

[This message has been edited by Haig (edited 08 October 2000).]

Comment

Hi,
                        Does anyone know at what legnth firewire, s-video and composite cables begin to degrade a video signal? Which one would supply the best video signal at the greatest legnth when connecting a camcorder to a PC?
                        Thanks!
                        "Whoa..."
                        Keanu Reeves.

Comment

http://www.axis.com/products/camera_servers/

Comment

Pace,

Oops! I meant 10 feet, not 30 feet.

------------------
                            Matrox G400MAX
                            PIII 616
                            Asus P2B-L
                            128MB
                            Quantum Fireball KX 27.3
                            ADI G66
                            Monster Sound MX200
                            Motorola CyberSURFR

Comment

Riddek, not sure on the specifics (and of course extreme cost of Pro solutions vs consumer and pricing) but you can purchase 50' svideo cables. I'll be getting one tommorrow for my Canon ES6000 Hi8 camcorder.
                              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X