Basic network query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic network query

I have two computers connected by an eight port 100mbit Ethernet hub. I have one dedicated phone line and a 56K modem.

Is there a way to connect both machines to the internet using the single phone line and are there any reasons why I shouldn't?

Playing with the big boys now!
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

No problem...try a program like winroute or sysgate.

Can't think of a good reason why shouldn't

Grtz,

Ed

Comment

I'll answer first with the obvious (albeit incomplete) information. Win98 will allow you to share the internet connection from the computer with the modem. It's called (are you ready for this?) Internet Connection Sharing. I haven't utilized this function, but if you search in Windows Help with these key words, you'll get a head start on the answer you'll hear from other people. I understand it is easy to set up. You might get it connected before someone posts the detailed answer here.

Good luck

Here's some discussion:
      http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000398.html

http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000472.html

http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001184.html

Some people reportedly have trouble with this program. I would try it and see. You will only get posts from people with problems. People who have no trouble don't post. They use it and forget about it.

Just noticed EdSki posted before I did. I don't have an opinion about the programs he mentioned.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 05 October 2000).]

Comment

Patrick, I've been using NAT32 for almost 2 years now and would reccommend using that instead of ICS (which comes with 98se/win2k/ME only). This is the very same proggy I used when a dialup only was available.

Give me a holler on ICQ and I'll get you through the setup process. You might learn a bit about networking at the same time

note to self

del *.*

/note to self

[This message has been edited by Greebe (edited 05 October 2000).]
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Cheers lads.

As soon as i get ICQ up and running after the rebuild I'll give you a shout!

btw, I'm running Win2K if that matters!

ta muchly
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

right ive had a play with NAT and oh my god!

any help or an alternate would be appreciated!!!!!!!!

btw, i'm using Win2K!

cheers anyway Greebe

Comment

I told you have to read the readme and instructions first, but no!
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Win2k's Internet Connection Sharing is better than Win98's. You also do not have to buy it. All you have to do is enable sharing on the DUN connection to the Internet, set the other machine to obtain IP automatically. Run ICW on the slave computer and tell it to use the LAN. I have connected win98, win2k, linux an BeOS machines through a Win2k NAT (ICS) host.
                I tried NAT32 but it did not work. Of course this was most likely due to the fact that the Win98 host machine that I was installing it on was somewhat fuXx0r3d. Plus I am a cheapskate, NAT32 is cheap but ICS is free. My advice is to use ICS and if it is insufficient/won't work then go to NAT32

[This message has been edited by DentyCracker (edited 05 October 2000).]
                [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

If ICS is part of an OS you have to buy then it's not free. What was 98se compared to 98? A service pack with ICS added for an additional $25

Not trying to pick Denty

ICS may have been popularized and simplified by MS, but it's still is no match for Nat32.

Comment

Erm... wanna know something? NAT32 and ICS are...

Wait for it...

It's coming...

Hold on...

THE SAME *expletive deleted* PROGRAM!

That's right, Microsoft bought the program from Nevod. Unless someone else bought NAT32.

And since Nevod's solution was THE SINGLE BEST NAT SOLUTION AVAILABLE, I see no reason not to use Win98se's, WinME's, or Win2k's ICS.

- Gurm

------------------
                    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Of course you would say that shit Gurm. What you obiviously don't know is that ICS is based of their old technology. Hence If you want the real deal buy direct from the source. That way you don't get a watered down wussiefied product.

And while I'm at it... do you always just blert out what you truely believe is reality? Sometimes that (explictive) god like additude does more damage than you realise. If you're considering a business venture on your own, I'm so sure the employees will just luv you to death.

You are a very intellegent man that's for sure, but your word is not gospel. So before somone takes that broomstick and breaks it off in your arse, do yorself a favor and learn to treat people with decency and respect! Got it?!

Comment

I have seen the WinME ICS wizard and I am impressed. My buddy's cable connection was auto-detected as well as the Win2K and Win98 on his LAN with only 1 reboot then POOF! it was all seeing the internet.....he had issues with Sygate/Wingate with the Win2K box prior to WinME.........but he is a happy camper now

------------------
                        "I've always followed my father's advice: He told me, first to always keep my word. And second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. So, if I have insulted you, you can be damned sure I intended to."
                        (John Wayne)
                        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Well, one obvious reason you don't want to do this is the limited bandwidth. Other than that, there is no reason not to. I haven't used any NAT software, but the DSL router my ISP gave me has NAT built in.

Comment

How is a 100mbps hub with two computers attached (half duplex, ie 50mbps each) limit his V.90 connection? Even if we were talking internal network only how will this seriously impair it? I have three systems connected to mine and yet I still manage 50mbps between any two machines at a time(have measured).

Comment

ta muchly!

ICS it is then (sorry about the readme Greebe!)

Comment

Working...
                              X