Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxtor buys Quantum

For those of you who haven't heard:

"NEW YORK, Oct 4 (Reuters) - Computer hard drive maker Maxtor Corp. MXTR said Wednesday it would buy Quantum Corp.'s hard drive unit, Quantum HDD HDD , for about $1.08 billion in stock, creating one of the world's largest disk drive makers."

Okay....anyone own Quantum stock? Up 38% today.

John

that really sux, unless ur a quantum stock owner..

anytime two companies merge together, in anything, the number of competitors goes down, and you get less choice of product and price...

i mean for example, look at rogers canada..... they are the only supplier of cable tv and cable modem for most of canada, a monopoly, we get little control of what channels we want, since they are put in huge "channel packages"...

thats just my two cents...

ps. i got a quantum 6.4gig HD, works great.... da bomb...

------------------
    P5A-B AMD K6-266@300
    Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP (oh, lets party)
    Creative SB Awe32 (a classic, superb card)
    Realtek 8029A NIC Card
    64meg Ram
    Ali V agp chipset
    ICQ UIN: 24730025

[This message has been edited by nehalmistry (edited 05 October 2000).]
    <font size="1">Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X MoBo
    VIA Apollo Pro 133a (694x/686A) chipset (4x agp, UDMA 66)
    Celeron II 733 CPU (coppermine 128)
    128meg (2x64) 133mhz SDRam
    Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP 16 mb
    Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital model 0100 (MP3+, Gamer)
    Quantum LM 30 gig HD 7200 RPM UDMA 66
    Realtek 8029A NIC Card
    Optiquest V775 17" Monitor
    Actima 36X CD-Rom
    Advansys 510 SCSI Card (ISA, but good enuf for my burner)
    Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
    Windows 2000 (primary)
    Slackware Linux 9.0(secondary/emergency)</font>

Comment

That really stinks. Quantam makes good high quality hard drives. Maxtor, um, makes not so high quality hard drives. I geuss the only thing to hope for is that either Maxtor will keep them as a seperate division or that they will take a few lessons from Quantam and improve their line of products.

Looks like until further notice I'm buying nothing other than IBM drives.
      Primary System:
      MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
      120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
      Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
      Seccondary System:
      Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
      3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
      Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
      Tertiary system
      Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
      Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Western Digital is ok now too, since their drive mechanisms are being fabbed by IBM.

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

It really does take a lot to beat those IBM units.
          I've got 2 in my main home system at the moment.
          Slammed a couple in my brothers PC last time he wanted an upgrade.
          They are just so damn quick and silent!
          I'll be sticking with IBM too I think.

------------------
          ASUS CUSL2, PIII 700E, 512MB PC100 RAM (Hyundai), 2x 30GB ATA-100 IBM HD, Matrox G400MAX, SB Live!, Adaptec 2940UW, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD-ROM, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Internal SCSI ZIP Drive, Iiyama VM Pro410, Windows 2000 Only
          It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
          Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

I have both a quantum in my old computer and a maxtor in my new one.

I've had a couple of quantum over the year and never had much problems with them. This maxtor (for now anyway) seems to be the same thing. It's really quiet too for a 7200 rpm

My friend bought one and I wasn't sure it was working it couldn't hear it at all.

IMO Maxtor will probably keep them apart. They know they can make money from both why change things. But then again, since money is the only goal...who knows?

Sicna

------------------
            Asus K7V
            Athlon 750Mhz
            1 X 256 megs Kingston PC 133 Mhz CAS 3-2-2
            Matrox G400 MAX
            Soundblaster Live
            Windows ME & 2000 Professionnal

What kind of party is this. No booze and only one hooker. -Bender
            Asus K7V
            Athlon 750Mhz
            1 X 256 megs Kingston PC 133 Mhz CAS 3-2-2
            Matrox G400 MAX
            Soundblaster Live
            Windows ME & 2000 Professionnal

What kind of party is this. There's no booze and only one hooker. -Bender

Comment

Man.......Quantum was my favorite manufacturer. I've been buying Fireballs since the first 1.2GB one came out.......

They don't care about high PCI speeds and they're damn fast. You get what you pay for with a Quantum.

I've got a Fireball Plus LM that puts those new IBM drives through their paces. Have recommended them to friends, and have gotten only compliments.

I really hope Maxtor doesn't screw with Quantum too much. I'll never forget the CRAP Maxtor 4320 10GB I had......38MHz PCI and it churned out missing clusters even at PIO Mode 4....not to mention how slaving things to it never worked right.

--------------------
              ABIT BF6, Pentium III Katmai 450-&gt;663MHz, GW VOS32 Cooler, 128MB SDRAM, Toshiba 6X DVD, Quantum Fireball Plus LM, Matrox Millenium G400 DH @ 160/200, Creative SBLive, Enlight 7237 Case, 300watt PCPC TurboCool PS, and some fun with a Dremel!
              Last edited by Heiney; 20 May 2022, 10:48.

Comment

Funny ennuf I have not had problems with Maxtor HDs over the past 4 years, I had a quantum fireball and its replacement fail over that same peroiod. In my last set of tests done with hdtach the Maxtors were faster than similarly priced IBM or Seagate drives
                [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I've got an old 240Mb IDE Quantum which is still going strong All my PC's have used Quantum drives with zero failures. As I have been working as a computer engineer for over 12 years and I can safely say Quantum are the most reliable drives I've come across. They also are responsible for creating new standards but I guess the profit margins are so slim that they are unable to keep up the same level of R&D and still stay competative. It just goes to show price wars destroy inovation, so we are left with crap
                  When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Man I love my Quantum Drives have also been using them since 1.2 gig. Still in the computer My dad uses. I have always enjoyed the speed. I have used other drives Maxtor, IBM, Seagate(not there top of line). Those drives were always quieter but did not seem to be as fast to me. About a year ago I bought a IBM 9.1 gig UDMA 66 7500 rpm 512 buffer and a quantum with same spects both in 500 mhz bx boards and can tell you from personal experiance the quantum Kicked the IBM's Butt. In windows and in loading programs. And as the drives got filled up with stuff the performance difference got larger. I could get UT to load in 15 seconds (That was before they added all that stuff that you needed for matrox server). Using a 15 gig LM now Have 2 infact and enjoying the performance.

When I read that this morning I was surprised and sad to have seen this happen.

Comment

If they combine maxtor's insane return policies with quantum's drives, it will be great. I have never had a problem with quantum drives, I know several people who have maxtor drives with frequent flier miles they got returned so many times.

Comment

I've had Interesting Experiences with both Quantum.

We won't even talk about the Sirocco's (because they sucked ). The Quantum 3.2 Gig ST series drives DID NOT go over well in my place of Work. We had an OEM system builder put em in 7 systems - 5 of the hard drives bad sectors on the ST drives in the first year. The other two drives + another two of the replaced ones went a year later. A total of 9 drives in two years. Ah, maybe we just had some bad luck. The pair of 3.2EX are going strong, however.

I also had 2.1SE Gig die within the first two weeks of operation. However, the 4.3 I am currently using in my home system is just dandy (as my Fujitsu 6.4gig in my other home system - a surpringly Quiet drive).

I remember one time, A buddy and me played catch with a 6.4Gig ST (Sometimes we missed). We rubbed it against paper, dropped it on purpose, and it formatted correctly every time.
                        ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

I've had a lot of prolems with Western Digital in the past - they wouldn't clone very well...
                          Never had a complaint with my IBM disks though...
                          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I have allways been a "Quantum guy".

Just swapped my 6.4 GB Fireball ST for a 15 GB Fireball LCT15 yesterday. I recently commited heresy and got a Seagate Cheetah 9.1 GB 10K RPM LVD SCSI drive.

This thing sounds like Charles Manson going berserk with a chainsaw, but it's da*n fast!

I had my sleepless nights before buying it, but it has not given me any problems yet.

I only use the Fireball for secondary storage. It's mounted in a bay, for easy luggin' around.

I know LCT drives are LOW COST TECHNOLOGY, but I really don't need speed from this drive, just space. Does anyone know if the LM+ series are really THAT much faster?

Regards,

Jake
                            Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
                            ----------------------
                            Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Sorry guys, but I hate Quantum passionately - never had anything but problems from them.

Give me a Fujistu or an IBM any day over a Quantum or a Maxtor.

------------------
                              Cheers,
                              Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Working...
                              X