problems copying drive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems copying drive!

here's my situation! trying to copy contents of an IBM ata100 drive onto a single scsi harddrive using drive copy3. all goes well for first few minutes then up pops an error dialogue box with error #49 write fault & process exits on clicking ok.

Error 49 Write fault

PowerQuest products are unable to write to a certain sector on the drive. There are several causes for this problem.

1. If your PC beeps or displays a black box in the middle of the screen, virus protection is enabled in your computer’s BIOS. Disable virus or boot sector protection in the BIOS.

2. A virus protection application (which may be a TSR or DLL program) is in use. Disable the application before using PartitionMagic.

3. There is a bad sector on the hard disk (this is usually the case with only older hard disks). Run SCANDISK on the hard disk to perform a surface scan to verify the existence of bad sectors. If your drive has bad sectors, we recommend you replace it.

4. You have set up disk mirroring with PC-Tools, Disable the disk mirroring option.

as far as I can see none of the above directly applies in my situation. scsi drive is brand new! any thoughts welcome to alleviate present predicament.

Have you tried checking for bad sectors? New drives can have bad sectors you know.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

point taken, but how can you check for bad sectors with scandisk if there's no OS installed on disk? I always assumed that even using the startup floppy,you could only use scandisk on a hdd if OS was already installed!

Comment

If the drive is formatted, you can scan it for errors. I think scandisk fits on a standard boot disk. If not, then another drive in the system will have to have an OS installed, and the new drive will just have to be mounted somewhere.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Scandisk is available on startup disks for all the common MS OSs.

Comment

Well if scandisk wont fit on the bootdisk you can copy it to another floppy and run it from there!

------------------
            Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I think that you can use the format command to check bad sectors - if the disk is new...
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

thanks for your ideas guys but I've sorted it out now.it seems that even though drive copy states that "it is not usually necessary to format or partition your destination drive",it apparently needs to be done. so much for reading the instructions!! anyone have experience with a cheetah x15? seems a bit noisy(random clicking noises) at idle; is this characteristic of this drive??

Comment

I belive both Sisyfos and Butcher have one!

------------------
                  Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
                  According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Butcher has a Cheetah X15.
                    I "only" have a Quantum 10K II 9.2 GB.

------------------
                    Join the MURC SETI team!
                    View the exciting stats
                    P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
                    Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Working...
                    X