Alpha cooler vs. GORB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha cooler vs. GORB

This is a story about a guy who has been less than informed.

In Denmark ambient temperatures aren't normally the problem. Maybe 2 months a year where we'll have to open our windows to keep it below 25 C.

I bought myself a CUSL2 and a cB0 P3.
    Overclocking has become second nature, so I hit 7.5*124 (PCI holding me back) and CPU was above 50 C (full load) and I had to use 1.75v.
    This is where I contemplated buying a better cooler and the GORB was getting rave reviews.
    I dreamt about hitting 1 gig (drool).
    The GORB was good, my temp fell below 50 C and I bumped it to 7.5*134, temperature was above 50 C again and I had to use 1.85v.
    This was semi stable. I could run Seti, but any leaning on the G400 would lock on equal weeks.
    Well, suffice it to say, that I bought an ALPHA Socket370 FC-PAL6030MU and now my temps are 39 C at 7.5*140 (1050 MHz) 1.85v.
    Noise is the same as the GORB, but this one is PULLING air. I had hoped for a 5 C improvement, but 15 C, that IS impressive.

Conclusion:
    GORB is fancy design and that's it.
    I'm happy

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team!
    View the exciting stats
    P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
    Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Yup, the Gorb is just a cool looking unit, that is very affordable. It cools marginally better than stock HSF's.

Rags

Comment

Originally posted by Sisyfos:

In Denmark ambient temperatures aren't normally the problem. Maybe 2 months a year where we'll have to open our windows to keep it below 25 C.

Can't you just turn down the heat in the summer?

------------------
      Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I've been saying this since they came out.

Comment

That's why they are called "Gorbage"

Paul
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Now change your heatsink grease to Arctic Silver...
            Even more degrees off
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
            X