Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installed a hub and now my dsl upstream went WAY down, can someone help..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed a hub and now my dsl upstream went WAY down, can someone help..

Yesterday I bought a linksys hub, 10/100 nic cards and cables and networked my two P3 systems together. One system is running win 2k and the other ME, my dsl speeds were about 450 down and 230 up and when it goes thru the hub my down speeds stays but my upstream went to 24! Any ideas on what I might need to do. Here's my setup: the gateway that controls my dsl goes into my hub in the uplink port and then the other rj45 cables goto my 2 computers out of the hub in slots 2 and 3. Any ideas? Thanks
    Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

The hub may have this effect since it forces your computers to share the total bandwidth of the system (as I understand it). Also, a hub requires your ISP to assign one IP address for each computer. You may be limited to one IP address by your DSL ISP. They may give you trouble if you consume more than one address.

The optimum (cheap) hardware to connect your pcs is a DSL router, such as the Linksys BEFSR41:
    http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...prid=20&grid=5

Personally, I recommend the Zyxel Prestige 314:
    http://www.zyxel.com/html/product/wan/p314.html

Both are available at Buy.com. They provide a firewall and connectivity between your computers in the form of a DHCP server and 4-position switch which is faster than a hub (active instead of passive). Also, they use only one ISP address.

I'm relatively inexperienced with this stuff, so others may have more informed opinions.

The reason I recommend the Zyxel router is that it gives me little or no problems. I returned a Linksys BEFSR41 router because it was dropping my connection through PPPoE. At that time this was a weak point with this router (as stated by their tech support). I don't know if they've fixed this or not. As I understand it, it was only a problem with the PPPoE configuration. Not everyone had a problem.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 01 October 2000).]

Comment

Brian- The dsl I signed up for says it supplies 2 ip addresses and I set both to auto detect ip and they are different. I can't imagine I would need to buy yet another piece of hardware to make this thing work but maybe so. Thanks for the response.
      Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

Comment

The 2 IP issue must not be part of your problem. Maybe you can return the hub for a refund. The DSL routers also provide a necessary firewall function.

Comment

Are you sure that all the wires you are using are good? I've seen transfer rates shot to hell by wires that are too long and/or low quality. What's packet loss like?
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Wombat- thats a possibility, i'll check my cables. Two really long ones came with the kit I bought and I already have 3 other short ones so i'll switch them around. How do I check packet loss?I'm using win 2k on my main system. Thanks

Comment

Kookstick as long as the wiers are under 50m you should be fine!

EDIT: Oh you are from USA 50m is ~150feet
              ------------------
              Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

[This message has been edited by Guru (edited 01 October 2000).]
              According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I don't know what you would use in Windows. And I've seen a 50ft cable cause huge problems when a 20ft cable fixed the worries.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well, I have a 125ft cable to a computer all the way on the other end of the house, on another floor, no problems.

Try disconnecting one of the computers and see if the upstream is still bad. You could also try connecting one of the computers directly to the DSL modem.

Comment

Is your ADSL meant to go into your uplink port, or just a normal one?

Comment

Err... see... there's a twisted vs. non-twisted issue here. My cable modem requires a twisted wire to run from the modem to the PC. HOWEVER, when I run the modem into my switch, it HAS TO BE a non-twisted wire or it just won't work.

So you may be better off switching wire types and going into a standard port.

Or get a switching hub.

- Gurm

------------------
                      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Get a cheap $50 LinkSYS switch from Buy.com. You response time wil go back to normal. Worked for me.

Jammrock

------------------
                        Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

you may wish to check to see if your dsl provider uses collision avoidance or collision detection...detection only will interfere with your upstream performance because it will stop and start the data flow whenever both systems are in use...the downstream will maintain because it is not bottlenecked by the modem. I think this may be one of the more annoying limitations of the PPOE protocol...

Comment

Ali- I believe it has to go in the uplink because it wont work otherwise, it has a gateway which I guess is some kind of modem.

Comment

could someone explain the difference between hubs and switches because they seem to do the same thing, yet the switch is faster at doing it. Why use a hub then? Maybe I will return it all for a refund and get 2 better nic's and a switch instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X